• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    So my wife, myself and another couple were heading east on 94 the other day and I missed my exit. Next thing I knew we were crossing into Michigan. Now at the time I was a little uneasy not knowing for sure if I could legally carry in Michigan. When we got home I imediatley got on Ingo and looked. I found that I was alright as I am a resident of Indiana and have a valid LTCH. This got me thinking what if I was carrying (which I always do openly) and missed my turn ending up in Illinois or Ohio, where the Indiana LTCH is not valid. Should I pull over and put the handgun in the glove box and the mag in the back so I can't reach it? Empty the mag and put the bullets in the back and put the mag with the pistol? There isn't any way with a Jeep Liberty to put the mag and bullets in the trunk because its all open. My 1st thought was just obey the laws and don't get pulled over, I would be fine. But what if, for whatever reason, something did happen and you encountered LEO?

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    I've wondered the same thing. I was headed west on I74 and couldn't get over to exit to 63 and the next exit wasn't until a few miles into Illinois. I was thinking "Oh crap!" but I just obeyed traffic laws and got turned around. Was only in Illinois for less than 10 minutes. Guess I was just hoping I'd be alright. Haha.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Well, the interstate firearms safe passage act allows for you to travel in states that don't allow you to carry. When doing so, the firearm must be unloaded, cased, and in a compartment of the vehicle not directly accessible to the driver. If you should find that you have inadvertently crossed a line into an unfriendly state, I recommend pulling off onto the first shoulder or exit ramp possible and rectifying the situation as quickly and inconspicuously as you can.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Also another thing to keep in mind is that you if you are pulled over in Ohio per state law you are required to immediately inform a LEO that you have a firearm in the vehicle.

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    This past sunday I had the same thing happen to me, I crossed into illinois, one catch...i was on a mortorcycle. I was riding with a couple of friends, had not planned on going there but I did. At the first opportunity I informed the group we needed to turn around. Nothing happened but anyone have suggestions a to how to handle the situation if stopped? I carry concealed but its not unheard of for cops to hassle "bikers"

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    By not allowing a search of the vehicle, doesn't that make the LEO more suspicious.?

No that just makes the LEO aware that he's dealing with someone who knows his rigths and who has been adviced by his lawyer not to talk to the police if pulled over for any reason.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Also another thing to keep in mind is that you if you are pulled over in Ohio per state law you are required to immediately inform a LEO that you have a firearm in the vehicle.

This only pertains if you're carrying a handgun.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel

This only pertains if you're carrying a handgun.

But then you'll be executed where you stand and the officer will go home and sleep like a baby.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    At least now you know the laws. One of the first things I did before even apply for my license was learn where I could and could not carry. I think it is vitally important for all LTCHers to know which surrounding states they can (Michigan, Kentucky) and cant (Ohio, unless you have a UT, FL, etc license and Illinois, never ever ever)

With that being said, pull over before you cross, if at all possible. If it is not possible, pull over as soon as possible, and do so in a discrete manor. If you find yourself in Illinois, I personally would break everything down as far as you can and separate it as much as possible. Put the actual gun as far away from you as possible, put ammo as far away from you and the gun as possible, put the mag in the third corner of the vehicle that you are not occupying. (You, drivers seat. Gun, back of the car, passenger side. Ammo, front of vehicle, passenger side. Mag, rear of vehicle, driver side).

Dont consent to any searches. Follow all laws. An officer may be suspicious that you wont let them search, but they still can not search. That is the point. Dont stop anywhere. Treat it like you have just been inserted into your own personal SHTF, and the entire state you are in is lava. In the end you are likely committing a felony.

Oh, when you are done, dont go incriminating yourself on INGO. Yeah, you probably wont ever be prosecuted for posting a story on the internet, but since when was bragging about committing a felony cool, especially when it was a felony committed by your own stupidity?

(And yes, I have been in that situation twice. The first time I did not think it through and brushed it off. The second time I pulled into the back of the first WalMart parking lot I saw, unloaded it, removed the slide, then did as I posted above)

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    If you find yourself in Illinois, I personally would break everything down as far as you can and separate it as much as possible. Put the actual gun as far away from you as possible, put ammo as far away from you and the gun as possible, put the mag in the third corner of the vehicle that you are not occupying. (You, drivers seat. Gun, back of the car, passenger side. Ammo, front of vehicle, passenger side. Mag, rear of vehicle, driver side).

Why would you go beyond the federal requirement to transport a firearm through unfriendly territory? Illinois isn't even as bad as the federal requirement AFAIK.

Dont consent to any searches. Follow all laws. An officer may be suspicious that you wont let them search, but they still can not search. That is the point. Dont stop anywhere. Treat it like you have just been inserted into your own personal SHTF, and the entire state you are in is lava. In the end you are likely committing a felony.

THIS is good advice.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Originally Posted by JoshuaW
    If you find yourself in Illinois, I personally would break everything down as far as you can and separate it as much as possible. Put the actual gun as far away from you as possible, put ammo as far away from you and the gun as possible, put the mag in the third corner of the vehicle that you are not occupying. (You, drivers seat. Gun, back of the car, passenger side. Ammo, front of vehicle, passenger side. Mag, rear of vehicle, driver side).
    Just a tad bit overboard...In IL, all I do is unload, put in a zipped case and put it in the sleeper. Now NY city.....that's another story, then I use the lock box.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    1. In general, never consent. If the officer needs consent, don't give it. AND your consent is not valid unless he advises you of your right to consult an attorney before giving consent (in Indiana at least).

2. If he doesn't need consent, he won't ask.

So don't assume for a minute he gets to search even if you don't give him consent.

(If he smells burnt MJ from your pipe, see #2 above.)

Once he hands you your ticket and returns your license, tell him 'goodbye' and don't answer any more questions. (At this point you're no longer in custody and the rules change.)

Top Bottom