• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    This was a really cool story my mom and aunt just shared with me. She had a cousin who served in WWII as a pilot and ended up missing at the age of 22. Just about a year ago, someone contacted my aunt and explained this story to her. He had been missing for 64 years and then his plane and remains were discovered and identified. My mom and aunt are going to the service that will include full military honors this weekend.

Here is the story and a link at the end:

First Lieutenant Jack E. Volz., 22, passed away on October 27, 1943 in the Morobe Province, Papua New Guinea. He was a member of the 90th Bomb Group, 320th Squadron, “ The Jolly Rogers.” He was the pilot of a B-24D Liberator aircraft, known as the “Shack Rat”, that was lost in the South Pacific while on a reconnaissance mission during world War II..

Born December 16, 1921, in Indianapolis, Indiana, son of the late Clarence D. and Helen F. Volz.

He enlisted in the United States Army Air Corps in January of 1942 and quickly rose to the rank of First Lieutenant. On October 27, 1943, he and his crew were on a reconnaissance mission in the shipping lanes in the Bismarck Sea. Shortly before losing radio contact, the crew was told to abort the mission due to poor weather conditions. The crew was never heard from again, and despite numerous search efforts, ultimately the 12 crewmen were placed in the status of presumed dead.

In August of 2003 it was reported to the joint POW/MIA Accounting command that the wreckage of a WWII era aircraft was found in the Morobe Province on the northern coast of Papua New Guinea. After unsuccessful attempts to reach the site in 2003 and 2004, the site was reached in 2005 and identified as the B-24D Liberator that was lost with First Lieutenant Jack E. Volz and crew. After recovering what was possible, the site was excavated in early 2007. It was then that the remains of First Lieutenant Volz and the 11 other men were finally recovered, and then identified by the Armed Services DNA Identification Laboratory.

When he passed away in 1943, he was survived by his parents and two sisters, Patricia Oster and Virginia Simonds.

During the 64 years that he was missing, all of his immediate family have passed away, Currently he is survived by his nieces Marilyn Simonds, Candy Belknap, Valerie Wariner, Susie Oster and Sally Shipley; cousins, Charlotte Whitt, Nancy Allan, Nancy Minton, and great nieces and nephews

Funeral services for 1st Lt. Volz will be 10 a.m. Saturday, May 28, at Ratterman’s, 3711 Lexington Road with burial in Cave Hill Cemetery, with full Military Honors. Visitation will be 6-8 pm. Friday, May 27, at the Funeral Home.

Volz, 1st LT. Jack

Last edited:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Awesome story! thank you for sharing!

Quick question, why isn't he being buried @ Arlington? Is that an option the family chose not to use? I really don't know how it works, so I'm just curious.

thanks,
    clay

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Awesome story! thank you for sharing!

Quick question, why isn't he being buried @ Arlington? Is that an option the family chose not to use? I really don't know how it works, so I'm just curious.

thanks,
    clay

There are something like 130 National Cemeteries in the Country. Many of them are "full" to new residents as it were. The remaining properties can be chosen between. (The one in Marion, IN, being one of a few that still have open ground). Perhaps the chosen property is just geographically a better fit?

-J-

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Quick question, why isn't he being buried @ Arlington? Is that an option the family chose not to use?

thanks,
    clay

I had to ask my aunt to get that answer. [FONT=&quot]The group remains that cannot be identified are being buried in Arlington on August 4th. Jack is being buried in Louisville because that's where all of the family eventually moved.[/FONT]

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Will remember this and other articles relating to POW-MIA soldiers, sailors, airman, and marines. We lived through a similar discovery in 2003, same Pacific theatre, and New Guinea . My Uncle was lost in 1943, and repatriated along with a crew of 5, in 2003, resting close to our family, and Mom and I attended services at Arlington for a "group" funeral.

Just put a flag on my Mother's (USMC, summoned to the Last Parade Ground 5-4-2011), and Uncle's grave this am.(US Army Air Corps)He was a !st Lt, flying a B25 Mitchell. Please pass your story on to all, as I hope that more MIAs will be found and sent home. Please accept my condolences for your family.

Top Bottom