• ...and so much more!
  • femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Dii6J7xWAAAfgwS.jpg

I'm not sure of the geography but I believe this happened at Table Rock Lake, is that Branson?

Doesn't really matter to the dead though.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I'm not sure of the geography but I believe this happened at Table Rock Lake, is that Branson?

Doesn't really matter to the dead though.

I just heard an interview on Fox59 with a survivor from Indy who lost 9 of her family members, including her children and husband. Heartbreaking. God bless her and her nephew who survived...that will haunt them forever. She said the storm was known to be coming and the duck people said to hurry out to the lake so they could beat it. Another thing she said is the "Captain" said they wouldn't need lifejackets, everything is fine. Geeze....this is terrible!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    [FONT=&amp]"My husband would want me to say this - he would want the world to know that on this boat we were on, the captain had told us 'don't worry about grabbing the life jackets - you won't need them' so nobody grabbed them as we listened to the captain as he told us to stay seated," Tia Coleman said.[/FONT]

:nuts:

Herr Vogel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2018
    Rossburg
    First heard about the story here, happened to catch it on local news after the fact. Senseless tragedy, heart goes out to the families, and so on, and so on.

Called it long before I had seen the footage -- dumb [expletive omitted] of a skipper had gone perpendicular to the wind, trying to get back to the dock. Saw the clip and lo and behold, guess what happened? This is exactly what not you are supposed to do.
    It also seems they're trying to make it back to the ramp rather than just get shallow and beach the thing.
    Hits the nail on the head.

I recall a story from The War™, during D-day, where a number of amphibious tank commanders had done the same thing and sunk their craft trying to reach a specific objective rather than sailing with the wind. You take a group of people who are unfamiliar with correct practices, neglect them any semblance of adequate instruction, and subject them to adverse conditions, and see what happens. This is what you get when you put minimum-wage employees, instruct them to perform [money-making-practice] at the cost of all else, and put them in the care of human lives.

Proposed solution: Take all responsible, the skippers, the personnel officers, the managers, the owners; blindfold them, bind them, take them out into the middle of [expletive omitted] nowhere, and drop them off. Let the families of the victims, and only the families of the victims, know when and where. If they make it back to civilization, good for them. If not, oh well.

Edit: Correct typographical errors.
    Edit: Again. Forum does not like oddball characters, it seems.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I'm sure there are multiple causes, there usually are.
    One would be, the wearing of Personal Flotation Devices.
    Second would be, a Captain perhaps not familiar with small craft in bad weather.
    These have been mentioned.
    I'd like to add the third point... I think the craft was overloaded.

Dukws are rated to a crew of 1, and 24 troops.
    That's 25.
    Now, troops carry gear, so probably weigh more than the average person.
    But, people are now heavier than they were when the Dukws were designed.
    This craft had a crew of 2, and 29 passengers.
    That's 31 people.

That's also a lot of extra weight.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I think we all know he intended this in purple...:)

I figured that, and I hope that is the case. However, when you read the comment sections on the news feeds, you will see lots of calls to "ban the duck busts". You will also see comments from libtards that blame "Trump", "global warming" and "republicans" for the tragedy. One comment was something along the lines of; "when I first heard of this incident, my first thought was 'how many of the victims voted for Trump". HOW can this be the first thought of ANY SANE person with regards to a tragedy!

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    I just heard an interview on Fox59 with a survivor from Indy who lost 9 of her family members, including her children and husband. Heartbreaking. God bless her and her nephew who survived...that will haunt them forever. She said the storm was known to be coming and the duck people said to hurry out to the lake so they could beat it. Another thing she said is the "Captain" said they wouldn't need lifejackets, everything is fine. Geeze....this is terrible!

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/mis...ngers-not-worry-life-jackets-2-135539861.html

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I figured that, and I hope that is the case. However, when you read the comment sections on the news feeds, you will see lots of calls to "ban the duck busts". You will also see comments from libtards that blame "Trump", "global warming" and "republicans" for the tragedy. One comment was something along the lines of; "when I first heard of this incident, my first thought was 'how many of the victims voted for Trump". HOW can this be the first thought of ANY SANE person with regards to a tragedy!

It is so sad that many have lost their freaking minds. Trump/republican derangement syndrome is a real thing.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I've already seen articles calling for that.
    Course, the commenters aren't calling for their cars to be banned. Even though you can pull up 1000 to 1 accident reports on cars vs dukws.

I hate to say it, but I think they will eventually ban themselves. Between insurance costs, lawsuit settlements, and scrutiny...they will eventually have to provide a "safe" duck boat. I know the cost of a new duck boat fleet would be expensive, I can't imagine it being more than insurance costs and settlements on the present ones. This place has to make a fortune at $30 a pop! $30 x 40 people x however many boats x 7-8 times a day.......they should be able to afford a new boat.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I hate to say it, but I think they will eventually ban themselves. Between insurance costs, lawsuit settlements, and scrutiny...they will eventually have to provide a "safe" duck boat. I know the cost of a new duck boat fleet would be expensive, I can't imagine it being more than insurance costs and settlements on the present ones. This place has to make a fortune at $30 a pop! $30 x 40 people x however many boats x 7-8 times a day.......they should be able to afford a new boat.

Can you get a "New" DUKW?

Top Bottom