• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blueswiss

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    I would be interested in hearing what anyone thinks, anyone at all mind you, on what they consider to be a fair price for one of these Mitchell Mauser rifles in 8MM. The WW2 ones that have been refurbished. Not the price that they charge for buying one, but what a person should honestly pay for a new one in the box, from a private party.
    Thanx,
    Tim

mkgr22

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Starlight, IN
    If you are considering buying one from an individual, keep in mind that it has no collector value due to Mitchell's refinishing, despite what their ads say. The only real value these rifles would have is as a shooter, and there is no guarantee as to how good they would be.

I woulkdn't give $100 for one.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    If I found one an individual was selling, depending on their asking price I MIGHT make an offer but it wouldn't be what they most likely think it is worth. As far as giving Mitchell's Mausers money, never in a million years. If you really wanted, you could pick up a Mauser at a gun show and give it the same history Mitchell's does for less money. I bought my first Mauser in 96 or 97 and have hated Mitchell's since I first heard of them in 97 or 98. If you want the historical aspect, look elsewhere. If you want a shooter, look elsewhere.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I have one. Came across it at a Dunhams years ago & it was on sale for a pretty good price. It shoots great. One of my more accurate Milsurp guns.

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    If it came with all the goodies in the box with the Mitchell COE, I'd give $100 for it. I would never give "Fool" Retail asking price for one ever. If you want want a real mauser look for a Yugo, Czech or a RC German. They can usually be had for around the $200 mark.

trigger_happy57

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    indy
    I remember when me and my dAd first got into milsurp rifles he always said he wanted one but if you ask me they are too good to be true esp collector value i want a rifle that shows what its been through but a good shooter. Not a piece of junk but something of character, and historical value. I might as well buy a brand new gun before i buy one from them bc there is now way a k98 from ww2 would come out of "storage" looking brand new like that. I am sure there might have been some but they are long dried up. I wouldnt buy one from them period

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    If it came with all the goodies in the box with the Mitchell COE, I'd give $100 for it. I would never give "Fool" Retail asking price for one ever. If you want want a real mauser look for a Yugo, Czech or a RC German. They can usually be had for around the $200 mark.

If you catch someone at a show that "needs" to make some sales, they can be had closer to $125-150. I have even talked someone down to $100 at the end of a show.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I didn't pay attention to the name, but these must be the guns that I came across in one of my junk mail catalogs that I get. All looking brand-spanking new, $299 (I think) to $499 (if they were "collector grade :rolleyes: ), and they were claiming that they had the ONLY ones left in the world and that once they were gone there would be no more. Pfft. I think after the holidays I'm going to look into a Yugo (the gun, not the car :):).

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Mitchell Mausers are what are called humped rifles. Most are misrepresented and no where near the value the sell them for.

Here is a sample of the lie:

"Mitchell’s Mausers announces the finding of a rare cache of near-new K98k Mauser rifles that survived the destruction
    of Nazi Germany. Even some special model variations that were produced during WWII are included: rare Nazi factory
    codes with year code markings, early pre-war Mausers with the famous Mauser ‘Banner’ marking, rare concentration
    camp rifles, and specially marked “SS” Gestapo rifles. Some K98 sniper rifles complete with the original scope are also
    available in limited numbers.."

There "near new" Mausers all have bolts in the white and no Mauser from Germany ever had bolts in the white. Mitchells re-stamps the numbers to make them matching. The also stamp on things like SS death heads to trap those that know nothing about these rifles.

Get a load of this:

Untitled Document

When true all matching bringbacks go for up to $2000, the only Mauser that will bring these Mitchell prices are a true matching untouched sniper.

Don't get me wrong, they are still accurate rifles, just don't fall for the hype. I would give whatever I felt for a nice rifle and right now when mismatched russian capture K98's go for 250 to 300, I would give half of that for a Mitchell. The RC's have real history that has not been wiped off by a carnival barker.

blueswiss

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    OK everyone. Thanx for info. I have a friend that fell for the hype, bigtime!! Now he's broke and must have 15 or 20 of them, including the 'sniper' and the 'SS'!
    Ha! What junk. What a shame about these riifles. I was never interested in even doing research on them. I just want the untouched originals.
    Tim

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Ok. Does any one of you guys have any experience with the Mitchell's "Tanker" Mausers? Its the one with a 20" barrel and is supposed to be new manufacture.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I didn't pay attention to the name, but these must be the guns that I came across in one of my junk mail catalogs that I get. All looking brand-spanking new, $299 (I think) to $499 (if they were "collector grade :rolleyes: ), and they were claiming that they had the ONLY ones left in the world and that once they were gone there would be no more. Pfft. I think after the holidays I'm going to look into a Yugo (the gun, not the car :):).
    Oh, come on. We all knew you wanted the car.:laugh:

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Ok. Does any one of you guys have any experience with the Mitchell's "Tanker" Mausers? Its the one with a 20" barrel and is supposed to be new manufacture.

Like everything else, buy from a carnival barker and you will get what you were fleeced for. They import them and stamp their name on em.

Last edited:

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

If I see "Mitchell's" anywhere I just turn around and walk the other way.

Maybe(?) if I saw one for <$100 I might pick it up as a plinker, but that is all they're worth.

Regards,

Doug

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    The first milsurp I got was a Christmas present from my wife and my father in law; a MM M48A. I had told him that I wanted a Mauser, meaning of course a Wehrmacht K98, but my father in law at that time didn't really know a thing about milsurps.

He is a FFL though and when I had told him after some research that this rifle wasn't all it was cracked up to be and that it was priced way out of line he told me that he doesn't pay retail prices and that he had gotten the rifle from a distributor. So I felt a bit better about that.

It is a good looking, nice shooting rifle. It was also a good lesson...my father in law has since gotten into collecting milsurps and over the years I have gotten some excellent Christmas presents. :D Still haven't gotten a Karabiner 98k yet... So I guess that if the price was right I'd have no problem getting a MM because I know what they are. It would have to be a real good price though because as others have posted; there are plenty of other options out there.

And heck, here's a pic:
    DSC01638-1.jpg

Top Bottom