• ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The first milsurp I got was a Christmas present from my wife and my father in law; a MM M48A. I had told him that I wanted a Mauser, meaning of course a Wehrmacht K98, but my father in law at that time didn't really know a thing about milsurps.

He is a FFL though and when I had told him after some research that this rifle wasn't all it was cracked up to be and that it was priced way out of line he told me that he doesn't pay retail prices and that he had gotten the rifle from a distributor. So I felt a bit better about that.

It is a good looking, nice shooting rifle. It was also a good lesson...my father in law has since gotten into collecting milsurps and over the years I have gotten some excellent Christmas presents. :D Still haven't gotten a Karabiner 98k yet... So I guess that if the price was right I'd have no problem getting a MM because I know what they are. It would have to be a real good price though because as others have posted; there are plenty of other options out there.

And heck, here's a pic:
    DSC01638-1.jpg

Have you shot it yet???

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    Have you shot it yet???

I've put a bandolier of some kind of surplus (might have been Yugo) 8mm rounds through it. Decent recoil, and while I don't have a lot of bolt action experience, the bolt operation felt smooth to me. No failures or anything to report.

Ash

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    From what I've read, Mitchells Mausers didn't do much at all to the Yugoslavian M-48 rifles. There were a bunch imported that were in near new condition. (I bought one about 6 years ago from Kiestlers in S Indiana. Cherry import for $200, in like new condition. If that tells you anything.)
    The M-48's pretty much all shoot well.

I wouldn't seek out a Mitchells Mauser either. They have a very bad reputation in the collecting market.

Cheers.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I was wondering why my bolt was in the white. Scrubbed & renumbered eh?

It's a good thing I don't just buy my milsurps for collecting. I shoot all of them including this Mitchel.

I actually got a box of the Mitchel ammo as well. It grouped better than the brown box stuff from Dunhams. I wonder what the story is on that stuff? Washed and reboxed Milsurp ammo? :):

It sounds like someone should go after Mitchel and file a law suit for false advertising.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I was wondering why my bolt was in the white. Scrubbed & renumbered eh?

It's a good thing I don't just buy my milsurps for collecting. I shoot all of them including this Mitchel.

I actually got a box of the Mitchel ammo as well. It grouped better than the brown box stuff from Dunhams. I wonder what the story is on that stuff? Washed and reboxed Milsurp ammo? :):

It sounds like someone should go after Mitchel and file a law suit for false advertising.

If it is an M48, then it will be in the white and the numbers will probably match and is from Yugoslavia. If it is a K98 from Germany and in the white, then it has been scrubbed.

Top Bottom