• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I'm having some trouble with my 2011 Lancer GTS, and I'm wanting to pick some brains on here.

Yesterday I drove my Lancer to work and it ran fine like usual. I went out at lunch and it was completely dead, no lights, door beeping, nothing at all. I figured my battery took a dump on me, so I popped the hood and checked the cables which were tight. closed the hood and went back around and my interior lights were on and it started right up. ran fine for 2 more trips that evening.

Now this morning I went out to start it and the lights were all fine, but as soon as I turned the key to start it, everything went dead. After a few choice words, I got out, closed the door, and started my truck. Then I got something out of my car and noticed the interior lights came on so I thought I'd try it again. It fired right up.

I drove my truck anyway because I don't trust the car now. Any ideas on what could be causing my issue? I thought maybe a bad cell in the battery, but I'm really not sure. I have plenty of mechanic skills, but I hate screwing with the electrical stuff.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    May be a battery cell shorting out, then gets jiggled back and wha-la, everything now works, been there. Could be a voltage issue too. My 09 Ram will not even try to start if voltage is around 11.5. Many modern vehicles have a voltage drain sensor so if you leave the lights on or have a short that is draining current it will cutoff all electric power to save the battery. Often have to cycle the key more than once to reset it.

I love chasing electric issues- they are always so fleeting. I would start with swapping the battery and checking for current drain with everything off.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I am guessing:
    1) bad or corroded wire to battery. Jiggling it allowed it to work once. It may be passing a trickle of current, but not enough to turn the starter. Check the entire length of the positive cable.
    2) less likely, bad battery. Supplies low current. Can only pass high current sporadically.
    3) less likely, bad or loose ground. I've seen chassis or engine ground bolts finger tight, or ground straps broken in half.

I have had #1 happen at least 3 times in different vehicles. The copper wire inside the jacket was all but gone.

Top Bottom