• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    My take is the SSN isn't needed. There is only one of me at me address, so unless there is another Alan G. with fake ID to support that he lives at my address it should all be good

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    My take is the SSN isn't needed. There is only one of me at me address, so unless there is another Alan G. with fake ID to support that he lives at my address it should all be good

The NICS examiner on the phone doing the background check does not ask for the address; only name, height, weight, gender, race, date of birth, place of birth, SSN if present, state of residence and type of firearm.

Colts

Sharpshooter
    Aug 25, 2011
    Roundabout Circle City
    I have seen other locations take care with customer's private information (and I think this is very important).

One possible solution used elsewhere is to fill out the form and then separately on a small piece of paper write your SSN. They read the SSN over the phone (in another room where others can not hear) and then return the small piece of paper to you (no SSN on form,as it is not required). :cool:

At another location, recommendation was to leave it blank (SSN) and possibly fill it in if any questions. :dunno:

These could be good possible solutions to help better protect sensitive information. :yesway:

I recall purchasing a car one time and filling out all the required information for a loan and then later the sales guy could not find it and thought it was no big deal to fill it all out again. He did not get it that a loan approval form contains everything anyone would need to destroy someone's credit. :xmad:

Apparently, even the best can improve.

ChaoticMunky

Marksman
    Feb 9, 2010
    MSG2 - Lawrence, IN
    They've got your full name, place of birth, date of birth, gender, race, and state of residence.... Don't think they don't know exactly who you are before the page gets flipped to "what is the type of firearm?"...SSN or not.

But here's a true story. I was born in Reno, Nevada. There is an individual who used to live here in Indianapolis who was also born in Reno. We both have the same name and same birthday. He was actually in my 5th grade class. Both white males and ironically born in the same hospital just a few rooms a part. It is VERY rare for this to occur but it can. Few weeks ago when I went to Bradis to get a lower for an AR build, I made sure I put my social down because of this situation. Sure place of residence like address would sort it out a little but, but I want to make sure they're checking me and not him.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I like Bradis a lot and spend a fair amount of money there, but there, like many places I buy guns, don't do as much to protect my identity as I would like. When I fill out a 4473 in a crowded environment I cover the form as I fill it out, and I watch to see who might be around me taking an interest in what I'm writing. It's not just about the SSN, but all personal information.

Frankly I'm disappointed in the dismissiveness I've seen in this thread. To some folks it may be a non-event, but I know very well what a major headache identity theft is for the innocent person and in my business and the non-profit I'm responsible for I take my responsibility in handling personal information very seriously and if a customer has a concern I address it rather than dismiss it.

But then I've been told my opinion isn't worth much.

sjstill

Master
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    I can assure you all the staff at Bradis have taken the privacy concerns of all customers very seriously. We are working to protect your information, but as has been stated before, we have no real way of calling NICS from a private area.

On busy days (like today), we are trying to have a limited number of staff doing the call-ins, but that means an increased wait time for the customer. There's a fine line, and we are doing our best to maintain excellent customer service and customer privacy.

ggglobert9

Sharpshooter
    Feb 6, 2009
    Ft Wayne
    I am with the OP on this. I work in a Trauma Center and we are drilled on privacy or better yet HIPPA as its known...Sometimes cannot be helped but all reasonable attempts should be taken to protect all info as much as possible. I know of several shops that use an alternate area to call the checks from and even if a customer has to wait most would understand. Personal preference but if you have ever had your identity stolen it is a pain in the butt...This comes from having it done to my wife. Some call me paranoid I just call it heightened awareness. If in the future any concern about the customers privacy should be expressed before filling out 4473 and usually seller will attempt to accommodate I would hope. Just my thought.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I am with the OP on this. I work in a Trauma Center and we are drilled on privacy or better yet HIPPA as its known...Sometimes cannot be helped but all reasonable attempts should be taken to protect all info as much as possible. I know of several shops that use an alternate area to call the checks from and even if a customer has to wait most would understand. Personal preference but if you have ever had your identity stolen it is a pain in the butt...This comes from having it done to my wife. Some call me paranoid I just call it heightened awareness. If in the future any concern about the customers privacy should be expressed before filling out 4473 and usually seller will attempt to accommodate I would hope. Just my thought.

As far as the SSN, as has been stated, it is completely optional.
    If it is a concern, don't provide it.

Angie Oakley

Plinker
    Oct 22, 2011
    RE: S.S. Number

RE: The 4473 Form. We do our best to keep all our customer's private information discrete and confidential. Most of the time there is a large volume of customers in our store and it is impossible for any of the employees to go in another room to call in the background check. The background noise is so loud in the store that no one in the surrounding area of the room can hear the information being read. The S.S. # is optional, you do not need to provide it. If the NICS operator needs the information they will ask us if the customer is willing to give their S.S. #.

Top Bottom