• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    I've seen lots of posts around various gun sites where people rave about Mobile 1 for use as a gun lube. Ok, I get it. 100% synthetic and all that. Thing is, no one EVER mentions what weight oil they use...... A multi weight? A single weight? 30W? 20W? 5W-20?

Anyone use this and what weights do you recommend? I know from first hand experience that gun grease slows down the slide on my 1911 enough to make it malfunction, so I've learned that too heavy a lube will f*ck things up. What say you INGO?

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Um...Mobile one bearing grease(red) in the slide rails and usually 3in1 oil for the rest of the gun...never had a failure that i thought was lube related...and Ive run 500+ rounds of dirty(lead and green dot) reloads in one range session.

Lube is subjective...just make sure you use some(not a lot though)...sometime less is more....if the gun starts to "slow down" i give it a blast of CLP.

God bless
    -Shred

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    5W-30, Mobil has put more money and time into research of lubricants than probably all of the gun lubricant manufacturers combined.

We're looking at high temperature, high speed, metal to metal contact with carbon in the way. Not so different from what goes on inside an internal combustion engine.

For applications that need to be a bit more sticky I use Lucas Oil Red 'N Tacky #2.

TECKS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 30, 2014
    SPEEDWAY
    Weight really does not matter, neither does brand. I use the cheapest oil I can find and a quart will last you a long time. I punch a hole in the cap with a Sharp center punch and use a few drops when i clean my guns. Brand name gun lube is overpriced and overrated. A thin coat on friction surfaces is all you need. Motor oil breaks loose build up pretty good also.

YoungMilsurpGuy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Crown Point
    On my AK and makarov I just use whatever automotive motor oil is handy in my garage (10w-30), though those combloc guns are not to picky and actually meant to be ran with motor oil, or when its really cold motor oil cut with Kerosene. I also use motor oil on my mossberg 500, though that obviously isnt gonna do anything to affect the function of the gun.

IDK, people freak out about gun lubes, but it seems to me alot of the lighter stuff either burns off or dries up over time, and ok, motor oil might be 80% as effective but given its about 1/10th as cheap you can reapply it.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Weight really does not matter, neither does brand. I use the cheapest oil I can find and a quart will last you a long time. I punch a hole in the cap with a Sharp center punch and use a few drops when i clean my guns. Brand name gun lube is overpriced and overrated. A thin coat on friction surfaces is all you need. Motor oil breaks loose build up pretty good also.

Totally agree with you. I also use whatever I have on hand. Currently cleaning with Aero Kroil and lubricating with whatever oil I have on hand. Same for my fishing reels. Less is more. I pour a bit of oil into a needle oiler for precision. Couple drops gets it done.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I settled Ballistol after trying all kinds of oils/cleaners. My reason is that it is safe for leather, wood, plastic. Also I shoot Black Powder and Ballistol works well with BP. I don't find the need to lube too much on my guns. A little goes a long way.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm just waiting for the day I can walk into an auto parts or big box store and buy a can of kroil. Love that stuff.

^^^THIS^^^

Kroil and Aero-Kroil really do live up to the hype. More "creepy" and better at freeing stuck parts than PB Blaster, smells better, and doesn't leave sticky residue behind like PB Blaster.

DoggyMama's brother gave me a can of Kroil (he *ahem* borrowed it from where he used to work). It's great stuff. I saw someone selling it at the last Stout Field show and am kicking myself that I didn't pick up another can then.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I used to spend a bunch of time lurking M14 forums, and many of those guys (including Fulton Armory, IIRC) recommend Mobil1 red wheel bearing grease in place of lubriplate. I use it on my M1A, and have found it to be quite acceptable. I bought a can something like five years ago, and barely made a dent in it so far.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I've become a big fan of the blue Lucas Extreme Duty Gun Oil. It comes with a nice needle tip on the bottle making is super easy to apply precisely. It seems to adhere well, doesn't dry up, and doesn't seem to attract grit. It's really good stuff--try it. I think you'll all like it. I got it at Premier Arms in Brownsburg, but most will have to order it online.

Extreme Duty Gun Oil

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    I'm with Shred and Bog on M1 oil and grease, but will/have used some Singer sewing machine oil, Ballistol (my Sons call it fart spray), Gibbs, Tri-flow and PTFE grease. Kind of got into different types of grease a few years ago, even ceramic grease. But mostly M1. All depends on the application.

Thinking about giving this a try Track Lube Plus

There is a write-up here- FrogLube is Probably Made From Coconut Oil (Not Frogs) - The Firearm Blog on TFB.

Last edited:

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    I have seen multiple times on the interwebz that Mobile 1 full synthetic automatic transmission fluid is the best. From what I have read, it has the highest concentration of additives to remove carbon.

I have not been able to confirm that though. But I am a oil man and not a grease man, I prefer oils that creap well.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I use a blend of Mobil 1 10w/30, Mobil 1 ATF and a bit of STP. For $15 you can make a half gallon of the stuff. The Mobil 1 is the basic lube and the ATF adds a good detergent package to help cut carbon. The STP is only to add a bit more viscosity to help keep it in place. I've been using the original batch I brewed up for about 8 years now and still have almost a quart left.

Top Bottom