• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    IMPD issues Verizon air cards to all officers that are issued a laptop computer. I don't know how much they cost but they seem to work pretty well. I know, I didn't do anything to help you out. Typical.

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    We use Verizon MiFi units. Nice because they run on a battery and also allow up to 5 users to connect to its Wi-Fi signal. Now Indy is also 4g on Verizon. I'm happy with them.

! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    Then upgrade your phone to an Evo or Epic which has mobile hotspots. You will be able to sync wireless and use the phones service for web browsing.

Talk to me... I have Sprint and ATT cell accounts. I need to have internet access on my laptop while traveling.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    AT&T also carries mifi like someone mentioned on verizon. Both the AT&T and the verizon work very well. I'm not familiar with sprint, so can't comment on their devices or service. The mifis have been VERY popular with my users.

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    What you have to watch on the broadband cards, your monthly amount covers so many bytes. Anything over that is an additional charge. Weigh the overage prices against each other. Plus you need to take into account WHERE you will be using the card. Some have excellent coverage in some areas and lousy to none in others.

It is almost better and cheaper to upgrade to a phone that can become a hotspot and slave your laptop to it. If you have an unlimited data plan for your phone then there are no extra charges for using it as a hotspot.

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    at&t mifi is about $29/month & is good for 3gb. It seems to work great around the cities not sure about further out from big cities. verizon cards seem to work a little better outside of the bigger cities.

furbymac

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    noblesville
    can you turn an iphone into a hotspot?
    yes but at&t tracks it and you have to pay the additional charge for their tether plan. if you can root/jailbrake an android phone on your sprint account you can do it for free. if you want to check out how to root an android phone on your sprint account check out androidcentral.com .... on most phones it is a fairly simple process to root them.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Yes. Ease of doing it depends on your carrier and ios version.

Sniped! But on an iPhone it's called jailbreaking, otherwise like the above poster mentioned about android.

BigJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Broadripple
    I would just buy a broadband or mifi and be done with it. $59.99 a month gets you 5gb which should be plenty. You probably only need the broadband card, and not the MIFI, but the mifi gives you a 1500sqft secure wireless hotspot. If you have any more questions please feel free to PM me...I sold them for a few years.

woowoo2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    I use a cricket modem and a cradle point router at home for two machines.

The setup works pretty well, but does not compare to cable.
    It runs $42 a month, and sometimes they slow you down when you hit 5 gigs per month usage.

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    Only reason I suggest a phone that you can hotspot, you don't have to open another account and pay extra money a month for something you won't be using all the time. If you incorporate it with a phone, no extra charge and no data stream limits.

Sprint has unlimited data plans for CHEAP with unlimited nights and weekends and free long distance.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    So it is possible to jail break an iPhone and take advantage of my unlimited data plan and tether it to my laptop?

Thanks for all the helpnhere

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    Thanks keV. Article appears to be old. Anyone doing this with their iphone4?

Do a search for JB on i4, I didn't know which you had but i4 info is all over the net.

I looked into broadband cards when I was working in Illinois, came out cheaper for me to bundle TV and internet where I was renting. But I talked to a Sprint customer service lady and she told me the cheapest way to do it is to get a smart phone that can be used as a hotspot. Then you aren't paying for it when not needing an internet connection but its there when you do. My current "dumb" phone is a Blackberry and its not capable of being a hot spot, but next one will be because I KNOW I will have to travel for work again.

Good luck on getting it set up.

Top Bottom