• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    To all the HAMs and/or those in the know...

I realize that roof top is best but that isn't going to happen for now, possibly down the road but not now. Just looking for feedback on this setup. I fab'd up a mounting point and welded it in to the truck bed. The Antenna is a Larson NMO150B, specs below.

I did have this mounted were the factory AM/FM antenna was since I took the radio out. Reception was slightly better there but not by much. I've got some 1inch woven copper ground strap to bond the vehicle with. I'll hopefully get that done this coming week.

Any constructive suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated. For the time being I really would like to use this location. It's as far from the cab as possible which I expect helps... though it seemed to do better before I moved it from the hood. (Which I read was the worst possible place).

KC9WPP-MobileAntenna.jpg

Antenna Specs:
    Frequency: 144-174 MHz.
    Gain: 3.0 dBd
    Type: 5/8 Wave
    Power: 200 Watts
    Base: NMOBCO Black
    Whip: W490B Black
    Height: 51.5 inches (131 cm)

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm sorry... what was the question? You detail what you've done and what you plan to do. What are the suggestions you're solicitting?

Also, might want to get to the BMV and get that license plate replaced. The numbers are all photoshopped off. :D

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    Just looking for suggestions/comments to improve performance with the current antenna location.

What! Somebody stole my plate numbers!?

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    It appears as though you use your truck as a truck. My main and first concern would be ripping the antenna up/off while 'using' the truck (like loading or unloading all that brush)

I'd get that sucker on the roof ASAP. At the rear of the cab (inside) might be a dome light which would give you access to get cable into the truck.

Hope that helps

patricktjms

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Springport, Indiana
    I actually had the same antenna mounted in the same location on my truck. The most important thing is grounds. Grind clean spots on the bed,frame,cab, and join them all with copper wire or braid. A hood actually is a great ground plane for an antenna but if you have everything joined together, the whole truck will act as your ground plane.

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    It appears as though you use your truck as a truck.

Thank you, I try to. Usually I'm hauling smaller things that aren't so "grabby".

I actually had the same antenna mounted in the same location on my truck. The most important thing is grounds. Grind clean spots on the bed,frame,cab, and join them all with copper wire or braid. A hood actually is a great ground plane for an antenna but if you have everything joined together, the whole truck will act as your ground plane.

Glad to hear it should work out well. Didn't get the grounding straps on today, had to go to the range - It's been too long. After I unload the brush in the morning I may give it a go and see what I can do in the snow.

With regards to the hood, the reasoning behind it being a bad place (As I was told/read) was due to RFI from the engine. Now...this is a 1979 truck so not much there but it still has an alternator and the ignition has been upgraded to 1990's Ford technology.

patricktjms

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Springport, Indiana
    Usually the RFI would only be from alternator whine. Or at least that's the biggest offender. Its still a good idea to get the antenna as far from the transceiver as possible.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    That setup can work if it's all grounded well. Good choice on the Larson. They make quality antennas.

With respect to your transceiver, are you tapping power from somewhere in the cab, or did you run your power leads directly to the battery? The latter is recommended.

Top Bottom