• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Turkish made ammo in 8mm is notorious for being loaded hotter than it needs to be, i have a m48 that was sporterized, shot it a lot with yugo military and my reloads never had a issue, bought a bunch of turkish and tried it out, actually had the st lock split on me, ran over a chronological while shooting and had variances of over 100 ftps til the stock cracked, i bought a lot of this thinking to run it thru a mg34 but that test changed my mind, pulled most of the bullets and powder and reloaded them lighter, some i sold off also. There are studies out there on the turkish and and the unreliable loading of the ammo!!!
    I'm surprised at that. I've shot lots of Turkish 8mm with no issues. Wonder if you just happened to get a bad lot? Of course, a lot of it is pretty old ammo, so maybe it had degraded (dangerously) or something? I've still got a bunch of it, and Yugo too. I like the Romanian for my Gew 88 since it's a small ring receiver and the Romanian seems to be a little milder, and it's a lighter bullet than the Turk or Yugo (154 grain I think, vs. 196 grain for the Turk and Yugo).

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Do you mind me asking what was his logic in doing this? Not looking to be contentious or anything, just curious why he separated them?
    He used the actions to make custom rifles. No need for the barrel or the battle dress, just the receiver and trigger group.

Back when you could get them for $25 each at Ohio Valley, just back up the truck and they loaded them on like fire wood...

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    8mm Mauser (aka 7.92x57).

Edit: I see you may have been asking about an alternative to Turkish 8mm. Romanian is a nice 8mm surplus cartridge (although corrosive). You could also run any commercial 8mm Mauser ammo (non-corrosive and reloadable).

SGAmmo has a pretty good selection.

The Egyptian is good clean ammo. Not too hot as to be a problem and non-corrosive. I had a butt load but I actually gave it away last fall. I got a good deal back before all this ammo scare. A fellow INGOer had a Browning 1918 that he re-barreled/chambered to whatever was the surplus of the day. I got the tailings...

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I got the battle dress all cleaned up and ready to ship. I am missing one screw to the butt plate but I will get one tomorrow.

The floor plate and mag for the 7mm is also done. I found a real nice Swiss G96 and does this thing have great metal in it. It will ring like a bell and takes bluing like a drunk to vodka.

DSC05984.JPG
    DSC05985.JPG

Top Bottom