• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    It's luck of the draw. I wouldn't order one though. If you want a Model1 upper or kit, get one at a gun show, so you can visually inspect it. I have used their uppers before but it is very important to check it out before you purchase. The last one I got, I had to look through a few and find one that didn't have mismatched feed ramps. Their customer service is crap and the guy that run the gun show booths are idiots that think they're the only ones selling AR parts. It's so bad that last time I was going to buy an upper, the guy was bagging it up, and I couldn't take anymore of his attitude, I told him to forget it, and I went elsewhere. The guy's at J&T/Doublestar are as nice as could be so I bought from them. If you want to order online I have heard great things about JSE surplus, both service AND price. DSA has also gotten into the AR game a few years ago and I've heard they are also good as far as quality and price. Model 1 are considered budget kits but I guess they didn't hear that AR rifles, kits, and parts have gone down in price. For close to the same money you can actually get name brands like BCM or Spikes.:twocents:
    Model 1 Sales: 5.56/.223 EM-4 Upper
    Spike's Tactical 16 M4 LE Upper (5.56) [STU5025-Mxx] - $525.00 : Spikes Tactical
    If you compare the Model 1 to the Spikes keep in mind you would be comparing the Model1 that's $455 and the Spike comes with the chrome line BCG, charging handle, and tungsten buffer. When you add that to the Model1 it will add about $150-$180.
    You can also get the Spike for about $475 on Gunbroker.

Last edited:

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    It's luck of the draw. I wouldn't order one though. If you want a Model1 upper or kit, get one at a gun show, so you can visually inspect it. I have used their uppers before but it is very important to check it out before you purchase. The last one I got, I had to look through a few and find one that didn't have mismatched feed ramps. Their customer service is crap and the guy that run the gun show booths are idiots that think they're the only ones selling AR parts. It's so bad that last time I was going to buy an upper, the guy was bagging it up, and I couldn't take anymore of his attitude, I told him to forget it, and I went elsewhere. The guy's at J&T/Doublestar are as nice as could be so I bought from them. If you want to order online I have heard great things about JSE surplus, both service AND price. DSA has also gotten into the AR game a few years ago and I've heard they are also good as far as quality and price. Model 1 are considered budget kits but I guess they didn't hear that AR rifles, kits, and parts have gone down in price. For close to the same money you can actually get name brands like BCM or Spikes.:twocents:
    Model 1 Sales: 5.56/.223 EM-4 Upper

yes i will agree they are jerks on the phone and in person. but i think they are from texas so what do you expect? :):
    seems like everyone in a professional capacity I deal with in Texas are dicks and could care less if you buy from them or not.

also, the uppers and parts I have bought from them were at the 1500. i have no experience with ordering online from them. The time I called to ask about a SBR upper the guy told me if I bought one I would have to send them a copy of my tax stamp :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: I lost it

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    In this day and age, where you can get a great AR for cheap, Model 1 Sales has outlived its.... purpose.

Model 1..... reminds me of 1998.

Wouldnt touch them with a 10 foot pole. There are just so many better options.

Take a look at the new M&P15 Sport. That is probably where I would look if I wanted a cheap rifle.

mms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Greenwood
    like others have said dont order from them but if you can lay eyes on it first they are generally gtg, i have 2 uppers from them both function 100% and accurate, they do use er shaw barrels which arnt to bad

12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    Thanks everybody, as usual from this site lots of good opinions and information. I will probably wait till the June 1500 and look around. Or does Bradis have some good deals. I would like to get an C.A.R. A2 style upper.

tacmedic

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Model 1

I have two uppers from them one from the 1500 and one via the mail, Both were bought 3 or 4 years ago. One is a 24" HB flat top, and the other is a SS 16" flat top. Both have well over 1000 rounds through with out a problem. I also have two from Blackthorne, I bought them about 3 years ago also, again no problems with the operation or quality of the uppers. I would caution you to ask those that are giving you advice about the quality of a part if they actually have first hand experience or if they are just retelling you a story that they heard from someone that heard it from someone else. I have had a lot of guys tell me that the products from these companies are no good, or they would never buy one, and that is fine. I actually have these in my posession, I am the one who assembled the rifles, and I am the one who shoots and maintains them. They all work as they are supposed to. I bought these because at that time money was my biggest hurdle, and they were the best deals that I found at that time. I am not saying that either company is the best company out there to deal with. Just that the uppers that I bought from these companies work exactily as they are supposed to. Good luck.

mjones

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    McCordsville
    they suck i ordered a few parts from them once they completely hosed me on the shipping i won't buy anything from them any more

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Does anyone have any experience with uppers from "Model 1 Sales"?
    Thanks to all

I have literally purchased nearly 100 of their uppers. They use a variety of parts, their barrels are typically ER Shaw barrels. These are reasonable quality but clearly not the best. I personally own 2 or 3 of their uppers on some of my personal AR15s and have had ZERO PROBLEMS with them. They don't shoot as well as some of the big bucks custom uppers or big bucks factory uppers, but they certainly are good enough for 90+% of most shooters uses.

I did have 1 that had a totally crap barrel.

I have used probably 50 of their Lower Parts Kits. They are marginal. I'd rate their LPKs as somewhat better than the DPMS kits, which seem to be the lowest quality kits on the market.

JML

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Southside
    I have 2 of their uppers.Purchased 1 of them from the 1500 and the other from a member on here.Haven't had any issues out of either upper.Like others have said if you were to get one from them get it at the 1500 so you can visually inspect them.

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    I have plenty of personal experience with their uppers and haven't had any problems because I visually inspected them before I purchased. Many of their uppers I checked out at the 1500 had mismatched feed ramps (some had M4 ramps on barrel and not reciever, some had them on both but just didn't match properly, and at least 2 of them I looked at had them on the upper but not barrel). As far as I could tell that was the only issue with their uppers. I still have a couple Model 1 kit guns and they work just fine. Maybe the feed ramp issue is not a problem anymore, since M4 feed ramps are pretty much standard nowadays. When I asked the guy about the feedramps he simply told me that he didn't know about the feed ramps and in a not so nice tone said, "You know how many of these I sell? I'm the biggest AR parts dealer around. Nobody has complained about the ramps so I don't know why YOU'RE so worried about them."
    Their customer service is still crap, so combine that with a few quality control issues and their prices being the same or sometimes even more than more reputable companies such as Spikes or BCM, why would you ever want to give them your business?:dunno::twocents:

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Wait, I thought you didn't do business with folks with poor customer service, even if you only heard it on the internet. :dunno:

:laugh::laugh:

being jerks on the phone or in person and making people wait months and months for their items because they cant form a good business plan to deal with customer demand is very different.

the last business i did with them has been at least 2 years ago anyways.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    I have two uppers from them one from the 1500 and one via the mail, Both were bought 3 or 4 years ago. One is a 24" HB flat top, and the other is a SS 16" flat top. Both have well over 1000 rounds through with out a problem. I also have two from Blackthorne, I bought them about 3 years ago also, again no problems with the operation or quality of the uppers. I would caution you to ask those that are giving you advice about the quality of a part if they actually have first hand experience or if they are just retelling you a story that they heard from someone that heard it from someone else. I have had a lot of guys tell me that the products from these companies are no good, or they would never buy one, and that is fine. I actually have these in my posession, I am the one who assembled the rifles, and I am the one who shoots and maintains them. They all work as they are supposed to. I bought these because at that time money was my biggest hurdle, and they were the best deals that I found at that time. I am not saying that either company is the best company out there to deal with. Just that the uppers that I bought from these companies work exactily as they are supposed to. Good luck.
    3 yrs and 1000 rds!!!!! Wow what a test of quality and durability...

I have dumped 500 rds in a weekend. My Spikes 10.5 has probably 10,000 rds through it in a year.

My S&W carbine has about 15,000 in 2 years.

Many of the good folks on here offering advice shoot in a month's time what you have shot in 3 years, your new so you may want to reconsider questioning people's advice as second hand knowledge or less then they offer.

Especially on Blackthorne!!!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom