• ...and so much more!
  • 12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    3 yrs and 1000 rds!!!!! Wow what a test of quality and durability...

I have dumped 500 rds in a weekend. My Spikes 10.5 has probably 10,000 rds through it in a year.

My S&W carbine has about 15,000 in 2 years.

Many of the good folks on here offering advice shoot in a month's time what you have shot in 3 years, your new so you may want to reconsider questioning people's advice as second hand knowledge or less then they offer.

Especially on Blackthorne!!!

I would probably at best put less than 1,000 rounds in a year through a barrell. I am new to the AR scene as I purchased one from an individual relatively cheap with a bull type barrell and a BIG scope. He was planning to go after varmits and found a different gun he liked better. I like the combo that is on it but wanted to put an A2 carbine type upper on it to give more of a military look. More of my firearm relegated funds go towards handguns, but the AR is such a great rifle it has my full attention at this time. So basically I am looking to stay under $425 if possible. A friend directed me to the Model 1 website and they have the upper I want listed for $330. I did see one at the 1500 for $385, but didn't have the extra money to get it at the time. Plus I was only able to make to the last show on late Sunday morning so I didn't have a lot of time. Not sure which table is was, but they had bunches of AR parts. I will probably make sure I have enough money at the June 1500 to get one and was just trying to figure out which way to go. The AR I have is an Olympic Arms. I know a lot of people put Oly down, but I bought it from an individual and it has performed good with about 500-600 rds thru it at this time. Like I said I'm not a 10,000 rds a year shooter, but you never know. I sure appreciate all the imput from everybody and intend to take this knowledge with me to the next 1500.:yesway::):

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    I would probably at best put less than 1,000 rounds in a year through a barrell. I am new to the AR scene as I purchased one from an individual relatively cheap with a bull type barrell and a BIG scope. He was planning to go after varmits and found a different gun he liked better. I like the combo that is on it but wanted to put an A2 carbine type upper on it to give more of a military look. More of my firearm relegated funds go towards handguns, but the AR is such a great rifle it has my full attention at this time. So basically I am looking to stay under $425 if possible. A friend directed me to the Model 1 website and they have the upper I want listed for $330. I did see one at the 1500 for $385, but didn't have the extra money to get it at the time. Plus I was only able to make to the last show on late Sunday morning so I didn't have a lot of time. Not sure which table is was, but they had bunches of AR parts. I will probably make sure I have enough money at the June 1500 to get one and was just trying to figure out which way to go. The AR I have is an Olympic Arms. I know a lot of people put Oly down, but I bought it from an individual and it has performed good with about 500-600 rds thru it at this time. Like I said I'm not a 10,000 rds a year shooter, but you never know. I sure appreciate all the imput from everybody and intend to take this knowledge with me to the next 1500.:yesway::):

That wasn't meant for you, that was the other poster harping on the advice given by other members.

Look at Delton, they are pretty good quality and fairly inexpensive.

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    That wasn't meant for you, that was the other poster harping on the advice given by other members.

^^^ This :yesway:
    Delton is better than Model 1 as far as quality control, consistency, and probably cheaper. There are sooo many companies to choose from. When you look at the Model 1 uppers, remember they don't come with BCG and charging hand, so if you're comparing prices online most shops will let you remove BCG and charging handle. This will save you between $85-$120.

Last edited:

12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    ^^^ This :yesway:
    Delton is better than Model 1 as far as quality control, consistency, and probably cheaper. There are sooo many companies to choose from. When you look at the Model 1 uppers, remember they don't come with BCG and charging hand, so if you're comparing prices online most shops will let you remove BCG and charging handle. This will save you between $85-$120.

Thanks, I looked at Del-Ton and they have what I am wanting for $405 looks like it has the BCG & charging handle, but it is out of stock :(
    I knew that most uppers didn't come with the BCG, but didn't realize about the charging handle. Thanks for the info:D

12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there

That's fine I realize that and thanks for the info about Del-Ton:D when I looked at their website the one I wanted was out of stock.

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Thanks, I looked at Del-Ton and they have what I am wanting for $405 looks like it has the BCG & charging handle, but it is out of stock :(
    I knew that most uppers didn't come with the BCG, but didn't realize about the charging handle. Thanks for the info:D

Can you post a link of the one you want? I look at AR sites quite frequently and might know of someplace that has it in stock.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I will say this about Model 1 sales, they had a nice display set up at Knob creek! DSA, Rock River, and DPMS were all there also but their booths were tiny in comparison! I haven't seen that many AR uppers in one place for a good while!! :n00b:

tacmedic

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indianapolis
    First, I wasn't harping on anything. Second, your reading comprehension sucks. I said that the two model 1 uppers that I have, had well over 1,000 rounds through them. Just so you are clear that means more than 1,000. I shoot at least monthly, but I don't live at the range. I did not intend to offend you but the tone of your rant is such that you must have taken offense to what I said. You don't know me and I don't know you, and don't care to. The post asked for an opinion, and I gave an informed opinion. I never told him to buy from them, in fact all I did tell him was that what I bought from model 1 worked like it was supposed to. Same goes for Blackthorne/ Hesse/ Vulcan/ Etc. This is the first post that I have read since joining INGO where someone has been such a dick. Just in case you reading comprehension is still at the third grade level, that means you are a dick.

Last edited:

Ash

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Don't worry about it tacmedic. I have a Model 1 Sales complete upper. I purchased it back in 2002 and only have a few hundred rounds through it. (I just don't get out to shoot much.) I'm not allowed to give a good opinion on mine due to the low round count, but so far so good. (24", stainless steel, 1:8" twist, bull barrel, flattop upper.)

I don't know if I'd buy from Model 1 Sales again or not. It doesn't look as if I'm going to wear out my purchase any time soon.

jsn_mooney

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    South Of Richmond
    I've built several using parts from them , no issues-top quality. However, I agree that right now it's probably cheaper to buy a run-of-the-mill AR than build one yourself.

Top Bottom