• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • heffe3434

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2011
    NE Indianapolis
    A buddy of mine has a model 39a that he bought. It is a beautiful gun but has one problem. The gun will literally shred a casing down the side when you pull the trigger. I thought he was kidding until he showed me spent cartridge. He no longer shoots it but want to fix it.
    1. Any good gunsmiths around Terre Haute?
    2. Anyone no what the problem could be?

:scratch:

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    In addition to the several good ideas already posted you may try having him polish the chamber. This could be happening on extraction. Clean the barrel and dry it of oil/solvents, take a bore mop on a length of cleaning rod and chuck this in a drill. Douse the mop with Flitz, Semi-chrome, Metal Glo or similar polishing creme and spin this in the chamber to a depth of 1". Once upon a time I had a Marlin Camp 9 with a similar issue and this fixed it. If it doesn't you're not out much time or money and you can then pursue a gunsmith or return to factory.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Kind of hard to sort out without seeing what a fired case really looks like. A pic or two would sure help. Is it just that the cases are getting scratched-up, or are they actually "failing" (splits, etc.)?

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    In addition to the several good ideas already posted you may try having him polish the chamber. This could be happening on extraction. Clean the barrel and dry it of oil/solvents, take a bore mop on a length of cleaning rod and chuck this in a drill. Douse the mop with Flitz, Semi-chrome, Metal Glo or similar polishing creme and spin this in the chamber to a depth of 1". Once upon a time I had a Marlin Camp 9 with a similar issue and this fixed it. If it doesn't you're not out much time or money and you can then pursue a gunsmith or return to factory.

This is probably it. Midway sells a tool for this application.

The only other thing I can think of is that the ejector arm might be engaging the case prematurely, or it might be too sharp. This is a very remote possibility. If the case is shredded on the left, I would look there. If on the right, I would look to the chamber.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Also try some other brand of ammo to see if it's not just crappy stuff. There's only one brand that'll split like this in my Ruger 22/45; I want to say it's the Remington bulk stuff from Walmart (green box?)

-J-

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Kind of hard to sort out without seeing what a fired case really looks like. A pic or two would sure help. Is it just that the cases are getting scratched-up, or are they actually "failing" (splits, etc.)?

Very true. Seeing the casings after firing would help much.

Top Bottom