• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EAS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2012
    Crawfordsville
    I found a some Model 44 Mosin Nagants that I really like for $275 that look good on the outside but I don't know much about them. What should I look for in deciding what to buy? This will be my first Mosin purchase. Seems high priced for a Nagant but I mostly see 1891/30 model prices. They also have the 1891/30's for $169.00.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    Make sure the barrel is in good shape. The Russians stopped producing the M44 in 1948, if it was made after that it is going to be Chinese or another Eastern European made rifle. If it is Chinese it is only worth 150, 275 is a bit high for the other copies. I wouldn't pay more than 225 for one.
    For my first purchase I would go with the 91/30

Last edited:

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    :n00b:Wow, that would have to be one special M44 for me to pay that kind of price.

I picked up one from an ingo member here last year for $80.00. Most I would go would be maybe and I do mean maybe, would be $200.00 and it would have to be perfect in everyway, no dings at all, but that's just me.

goldtrigger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Morgan county
    I bought a 91/30 about 6 months ago for $135. It was in decent shape.
    I'm seeing a bunch on the market now for a bit higher (145-160) but look like they've been beaten up!

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    Take the bolt out and look down the bore to check to see if the rifling is good and to make sure the bore isnt all pitted. Pop off the top handguard and check for rust. Cracked stock, numbers matching blah blah blah...

Here this guy can explain it better than me. He pretty much sticks to the 91/30 but youre gettin the same thing with the m44 in a shorter package and a bayonet slapped on the side.
    Ralph's Guide to Buying Your First Mosin Nagant 91/30 Pt. 1 | The Truth About GunsThe Truth About Guns

And... $275 sounds steep for a mosin, but where else can you spend that little amount of money and get a gun with that much history that shoots a round with that much authority?

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    :n00b:Wow, that would have to be one special M44 for me to pay that kind of price.

I picked up one from an ingo member here last year for $80.00. Most I would go would be maybe and I do mean maybe, would be $200.00 and it would have to be perfect in everyway, no dings at all, but that's just me.

It seems to be the new norm for M44s are about $250. So his isn't way out of line. The $80 M44 is a bargain that won't be seen again, unless somebody is selling something they don't know what it is.

Beardown

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Southern Indy
    Sounds like a lot of great advice from everyone. Along with checking the rifling, make sure the bolt cycles smoothly. I've almost purchased a couple mosins and then cycled the bolt to find that it was sticky as sin. These also didn't have matching serial numbers, or they were force matched - so that could have been why the bolt wasn't perfectly smooth.

I agree, 275 isn't a great price, but right now, you're going to have to really search to find a better price. Just make sure if you're buying online, you think about shipping and ffl costs. This will make a reasonably priced mosin much more expensive.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I found a some Model 44 Mosin Nagants that I really like for $275 that look good on the outside but I don't know much about them. What should I look for in deciding what to buy? This will be my first Mosin purchase. Seems high priced for a Nagant but I mostly see 1891/30 model prices. They also have the 1891/30's for $169.00.

An all matching, unissued Model 44 is easily worth $275 in today's market.

The trick is to know the difference between an unissued one, and one that's been refinished to LOOK like new.

The first thing to realize is that today, the great majority of the ones that look good are actually old used ones that were refinished to look good.
    So just because one may look good, doesn't mean it's not a hard used one that's closer to the end of it's life than new.

Check for a good barrel.

Check all the serial numbers on the parts.
    Are they all matching with NO sign that the numbers have been changed on individual parts?

The good news is, even the refinished "mixmaster" Model 44's can be good functional rifles.
    Just be sure to check them out and not be fooled that they LOOK new.
    They just aren't worth $275 in today's market.

Yes, 1948 was the last year for Russian production of the M44.

But other Eastern European countries made M44's well into the 1950's.

Of all the Model 44's, the nicest ones were made by the Polish in the 1950's.

If you can find an unissued Polish Model 44, you will find rifle with a clearly superior fit and finish than the Russian ones.

lmyer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    South Bend

If you can find an unissued Polish Model 44, you will find rifle with a clearly superior fit and finish than the Russian ones.

Like this unissued 1955 Polish M44? Unfortunately if you want to buy one they are going for just a wee bit more than $275. Check Gunbroker - there might be a truly unissued listed along with the used and non-matching Polish M44s. These can go for as high as $800+ to the right bidder, but are typically around $500-$600 these days. I should have bought a bunch of them 3 years ago.

Below is an example of a truly new 60 year old rifle - not refurbed, not used - no dings in the stock, 100% blueing - just test fired, stored, and imported.

M44_Right.jpg

Last edited:

elemonator

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Peru, IN
    Niiiice Polish!....Are they even importing anything but the T-53 anymore,I havent seen any Com-block m-44s in awhile,at least that wasnt a trade in or what-not....on the same lines are the Chinese T-53 even shootable, everyone I have seen looked like it was buried in a rice paddy. But the M-44s are AWESOME,look at youtube videos...... fireball! Just do as the previous members suggest, when buying one. Oh and I have Never paid more than $100 for a 91/30,only way I would if it was a Tula arsenal and ww2 dated(pre),itll have a star on rec'r,or a Dragoon...google is your friend.Look at it this way, prices prolly arent going down any significance, so if you got it spend it,you could see if they'd go 250, but I suck at haggling, so I dont do it.

lmyer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    South Bend
    Niiiice Polish!....Are they even importing anything but the T-53 anymore,I havent seen any Com-block m-44s in awhile,at least that wasnt a trade in or what-not....on the same lines are the Chinese T-53 even shootable, everyone I have seen looked like it was buried in a rice paddy. But the M-44s are AWESOME,look at youtube videos...... fireball! Just do as the previous members suggest, when buying one. Oh and I have Never paid more than $100 for a 91/30,only way I would if it was a Tula arsenal and ww2 dated(pre),itll have a star on rec'r,or a Dragoon...google is your friend.Look at it this way, prices prolly arent going down any significance, so if you got it spend it,you could see if they'd go 250, but I suck at haggling, so I dont do it.

Thanks!

I know that there have been recent imports of Soviet M44s, Soviet M38s, Soviet PU snipers, and hex 91/30s - sold by Aim and Classic. There may be other Mosin imports - these are just the ones I know about. I am not aware of any Polish, Hungarian, or Romanian M44s that have been imported for quite some time.

Les

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by edporch

Like this unissued 1955 Polish M44? Unfortunately if you want to buy one they are going for just a wee bit more than $275. Check Gunbroker - there might be a truly unissued listed along with the used and non-matching Polish M44s. These can go for as high as $800+ to the right bidder, but are typically around $500-$600 these days. I should have bought a bunch of them 3 years ago.

Below is an example of a truly new 60 year old rifle - not refurbed, not used - no dings in the stock, 100% blueing - just test fired, stored, and imported.

M44_Right.jpg

I didn't say the Polish ones were going for $275, I was speaking of unissued M44's in general going for $275 wasn't high in today's market.

For example, I tried to sell an unissued Russian M44 made in 1948 here on INGO.
    I started at $300, finally lowered it to $275, and all i got were offers of $250 at the most, and a lot of low ball offers.
    I finally just pulled it off the for sale area.

As to unissued Polish M44's, I got one some years back when they were much lower priced.
    It's my prized M44 that I'd never sell.
    It's Beautiful!
    They are clearly the nicest ones!

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Freedom, Indiana

I bought my first Mosin Nagant this week from aimsurplus.com

Item Description Quantity Unit Price
    F3MOSIN9130 Russian 1891/30 7.62x54R Mosin Nagant Rifle with Bayonet 1 $119.95

Rough looking, shoots great.

lmyer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    South Bend
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by edporch

I didn't say the Polish ones were going for $275, I was speaking of unissued M44's in general going for $275 wasn't high in today's market.

Not trying to school you - just trying to clarify your statement for others, so Mosin newbies wouldn't get sticker shock.

We all throw it around, but I think unissued is a confusing term that is often mis-used. An original unissued rifle (ie a Polish M44 that has all original parts and has only been test-fired) is quite different than an unissued after refurb Soviet rifle that has a mix of parts and wear from use. Then there are the rifles like the Finn Mosins that are a mix of various reworked Soviet parts including receivers, with a new barrel installed. An example of a truly unissued Finnish Mosin would be a late date no-maker M39 with a hang tag.

Collectors aren't looking for an unissued rifle, but rather that it is an original as-produced rifle with all original parts (except for the Finn Mosins the desirablilty seems to be originality after the Finns built it - and the Finns are some of the most desirable Mosins - go figure). But alas, proving originality is always much more difficult than proving non-originality.

In the case of your 1948 M44 (I remember seeing the ad for it on the trader), many of the nice examples of these rifles went through a "light" refurb and seem to have retained the original bolts and magazines as evidenced by no force matching on these parts and also no refurb stampings on the metal - but the stock has been changed and the butt plate have been force matched on all that I have seen. If yours can be confirmed to have the original 1948 stock and a non-force matched butt plate, then I would say a non-refurb M44 is worth far more than $300.

Les

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Not trying to school you - just trying to clarify your statement for others, so Mosin newbies wouldn't get sticker shock.

We all throw it around, but I think unissued is a confusing term that is often mis-used. An original unissued rifle (ie a Polish M44 that has all original parts and has only been test-fired) is quite different than an unissued after refurb Soviet rifle that has a mix of parts and wear from use. Then there are the rifles like the Finn Mosins that are a mix of various reworked Soviet parts including receivers, with a new barrel installed. An example of a truly unissued Finnish Mosin would be a late date no-maker M39 with a hang tag.

Collectors aren't looking for an unissued rifle, but rather that it is an original as-produced rifle with all original parts (except for the Finn Mosins the desirablilty seems to be originality after the Finns built it - and the Finns are some of the most desirable Mosins - go figure). But alas, proving originality is always much more difficult than proving non-originality.

In the case of your 1948 M44 (I remember seeing the ad for it on the trader), many of the nice examples of these rifles went through a "light" refurb and seem to have retained the original bolts and magazines as evidenced by no force matching on these parts and also no refurb stampings on the metal - but the stock has been changed and the butt plate have been force matched on all that I have seen. If yours can be confirmed to have the original 1948 stock and a non-force matched butt plate, then I would say a non-refurb M44 is worth far more than $300.

Les

In the case of the unissued Russian M44 made in 1948 that I had up for sale, EVERY numbered part is original, and it's in like new condition with only a few light storage smudges on the stock.
    It came to me in a wax/cosmoline impregnated wrap, and was totally encased inside and out in cosmoline.

There were some real unissued M44's that came in, in the 2000 time frame, and AIM had them for sale.
    I offered one for sale and nobody wanted it for a fair price, so I kept it.

Same thing with the unissued Polish M44's back in that general time frame.
    Course it's so nice it's the last one I'd ever sell. :D

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    In the case of the unissued Russian M44 made in 1948 that I had up for sale, EVERY numbered part is original, and it's in like new condition with only a few light storage smudges on the stock.
    It came to me in a wax/cosmoline impregnated wrap, and was totally encased inside and out in cosmoline.

There were some real unissued M44's that came in, in the 2000 time frame, and AIM had them for sale.
    I offered one for sale and nobody wanted it for a fair price, so I kept it.

Same thing with the unissued Polish M44's back in that general time frame.
    Course it's so nice it's the last one I'd ever sell. :D
    And I got the other one! :rockwoot::D

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County

My t53 is an excellent shooter, and for the $150-180 that you can pick one up for they are a hell of a bargain. Just check and make sure she aint rusted under the handguard. You can refinish a stock so dont let a beat up stock scare you away.

Top Bottom