• ...and so much more!
  • Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    This is a review on 2 rifles from the same company. The Chiappa Model 92 16 Inch in .44 Magnum https://www.chiappafirearms.com/pro...action-trapper-carbine-color-case-44rm-16-bbl and the Model 92 20 inch Octagon in .45 Colt https://www.chiappafirearms.com/product/920.063/1892-lever-action-rifle-color-case-45lc-20-bbl.

Most of you know that I am all about buying American if you can. Of course, some things just can't be had in the Homeland. When it comes to the Winchester Model 92, well you either get a $10,000 refurbished one from Turnbull https://www.turnbullrestoration.com/ or find a good old one that shoots if you want one made in America. My all original Model 92 in .25-20 was a fantastic shooter. Very smooth action. Not sure why I ever got rid of that one, but that is another story. A few months back, I wanted to try the Chiappa Model 92 Carbine. Since there were no LGS that wanted to stock a selection of these to look over and choose one to take home, I got on the infamous GunBroker. I bought one from a distributor but had no control of picking out the wood and such, so I hit the Buy Now and ordered a pig in a poke if you will.

When I got the package home, I was well pleased on the fit and finish of this Carbine. It's 16 Inch Barrel, balance and overall appearance is fantastic. And another bonus, this thing shoots perfect. I got it in .44 Magnum so I could shoot Specials as well. Sights are right on. I will not have a gun that is mis built to where I have to crank the sights all the way up or have them hanging halfway out of the dovetail to shoot point of aim. Life is too short. If your rifle is built right for the caliber, one can register the POA at 50 Yards so that the rear elevator is all the way down in it's lowest position so that you have plenty of elevation with the semi buckhorn sight to reach out as the distance to the target gets longer. These guns are perfect out of the box, for looks and shootability.

Dialing in at about 45 Yards, the rounds found their way home into the head of a USPSA target offhand. Both performed this task with ease. Talk about an action. Smooth as butter and there are no chessey safeties or rebounding hammers and such to mush it all up. These replicas are as close to true as we can get, but with the improvement of newer manufacturing techniques. The one thing I am disappointed in is the front magazine plug is turned horizontal instead of vertical like my older Winchester Model 92's. Perhaps they got around patent issues by doing this? If it does keep me up at night, it is an easy fix to relocate the screw hole and turn the plug 90 degrees.

I like the Carbine so well that I bought the 20 inch sight unseen as well. Of course I would have liked more character in the wood, but the prices on these replicas are reasonable enough. One thing you will not find written all over the gun is a Danny Darwin safety warning. Again, like the originals. I am not into todays marketing of FrankenLevers and these stay pretty close to what a lever gun should be. I will not be putting on skinnards sights or magpul picatinny rails, lights or sirens, just My Rifle, My Pony and Me.

Back in the day, we all tried our hand at these lower priced Italian made replicas and quality was just not there. I can't speak for all of the products but I know these two rifles are very good quality.

See you on the range

Trapper

IMG_9818 (002).jpg
    IMG_9823 (002).jpg
    IMG_9858 (002).JPG
    IMG_9821 (002).jpg
    IMG_9851 (002).JPG
    IMG_8949 (004).jpg
    IMG_9870 (002).JPG
    IMG_9969 (002).JPG
    IMG_9810 (002).JPG
    IMG_9882 (002).JPG

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    They make good quality rifles. I love the crap outta my .44 mag Alaskan. Same story sort of. Couldn't find one anywhere, so I turned to GB. I did get lucky though, as it was located right here in Indiana, just a couple hrs away... Made arrangements with the seller, and went to pick it up. Parking lot private sale just like on INGO, and no waiting for UPS or FedEx checking on tracking numbers every day. Wish I could have found one with wood, but it's grown on me. My thing was I wanted a take-down I could rig up for defensive use when I travel to places unfriendly to ARs. I'd like one in .357 to go with it too, but the Rossies are so much less expensive.

1 on log.JPG

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Great review, as always Trapper Jim, very nice rifles! I finally found the Rossi 92, in .357, I've wanted, and love it!! No, I do not like the safety, but, I just done use it, and plan on getting the plug to replace it someday.....

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Dang that looks nice. These msrp in the $1500 range, so I would expect a well-made gun from that. I raced to the website looking for a 25/20, but no dice :(

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I've owned a couple 92's. Both made by Rossi. One .357 and a.44mag. Tried to shoot .38 and .44 Special respectively but no joy. Sold the .357 and kept the stainless .44. I use it for black powder matches because it cleans up nicely. Have not shot a deer with it yet. It boots you a little with full house loads. That steel butt plate is a little unforgiving.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    25-20 is one of those old calibers that you really have to love. I've never gone beyond 32-20, but I shoot a lot of cast.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    I didn't know much about the caliber when it was bought. I ended up with an unplanned Marlin collection through the years
    and this one didn't cost much at all. I like old firearms. It was a learn as you go type of thing.

Last edited:

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    1. Colt Custom Nickel SAA With Stag
    2. Cooper in .22 Hornet
    3 original Pristine Winchester Model 92
    4. Marlin .41 Magnum