• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • schapm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    I am starting this thread with the hopes that others who took the course will also jump in with observations.

It took me this long to try to post an AAR because the sheer volume and intensity of the training I received this past weekend required a bit of time to marinate in my brain. I will try to capture some of my thoughts and give what I thought were some of the best takeaways.
    The thing I keep coming back to as I think about the training is how much useable information George was able to pack into one weekend without making it overwhelming. Part of the genius of his system is that nearly all of the techniques we learned had carryover to other techniques. This was one of the things that made it possible to absorb a high volume of material. Regardless of whether you are using pen, knife, open hand or gun, the skills we were taught were viewed as building blocks that could be combined in various ways to counter whatever threat you are facing.
    Another thing that struck me about the weekend was that I cannot pick out any fluff. All of the material was stripped down no BS moves to decisively and violently stop a threat with an appropriate level of force.
    My odds of surviving a violent encounter have to be about 1000% better than they were before taking this class, and I will definitely be looking to train with MCS again, because obviously that's what it's all about. I feel much more confident in my gun skills, and I have gone from carrying a knife, to actually knowing some useable techniques with a knife. Similarly, my open hand skills are much better, to the point that I would not necessarily go to a weapon as my first reaction to being attacked. Rather than being tools dependent (and I was not necessarily very good with those tools) George has showed me how to be skills dependent.
    My last thought for now is to just mention that a lot of people talk about gun, knife and open hand complementing each other, and I thought I knew what they meant. George's class showed me I was wrong, and gave me a look at the real meaning of an integrated self defense toolbox. If you are someone like me with little to no training, or if you have had traditional training but no force on force work, you owe it to yourself to train with George next time he is in Indiana. Just to recap, the skills I learned this weekend, many of them that I had no previous experience with at all:
    -Weapon retention
    -How to deploy a folding knife
    -Useable techniques for self defense with an edged weapon
    -Combat pen (this one is huge for me as I work in an office and can always have a pen already in my hand if I so desire)
    -How to defend against most likely angles of attack
    -Fighting from ground
    -How to recover when malfunctions occur

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Nice review Martin. Training with people like you guys is what keeps me going.- George

MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville
    I have to agree, it was an amazing course that very foundational blocks that are simple to use and can be adapted to other weapon systems from open hand to knife, to pen, to gun. It flows together nearly seamlessly making easier to use in real life.

I also learned that the square range training is not that helpful for the close in fights that people tend to actually get in. I can see how the traditional range stuff can come in to play at long ranges, but at least 7 yards and in you need to do some force on force so that you can understand how you won’t get to nor need to use your sights and how vital movement is to survival.

Overall George is a great instructor! He has a laid back, down to earth style that is information packed and backed up with science and experience. He does NOT come across as a condescending know it all or as a my way or the highway instructor. He understands when you struggle with a technique and is quick to break it down, often as a learning experience for everyone yet still gives personal attention. He doesn’t let the fact that he’s a “pretty big deal”(inside joke from this weekend) get in the way of making sure you walk away with a excellent training experience.

I’ll be coming back to train with George again!

anewrnn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Crown Point
    Another happy customer here

I was amazed at how straight forward MCS/ George's tactics were. I had no idea of how to block attacks both from fist and knife. We covered alot of ground in a short time but it all built upon itself so its still fairly easy to recall. Though I have always carried a knife I have never had any training w it. Now I can practice effective blocks and counters using my folder that I would have never known how to do.
    The pen defense was crazy interesting and it amazes me how effective such a small piece of plastic can be used to save your ass.
    The pistol training was great as it all was done within a few yards. I have always practiced using a two handed grip but I dont think I ever had a chance to put two hands on my pistol the whole time nor look at my sights. It really opened my eyes to how attacks go on in the real world. Simple, effective techniques that can be taught to loved ones and replicated easily at home. Now I feel its up to me to continue and practice.. Thanks to George and MCS for getting me rollin and to the group who made training fun and challenging. Thanks to you Marty and your great family for letting us hang out at your place.Ill be coming to the next one..

ColdSteel223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 18, 2009
    Bloomington, IN
    After having a few days to reflect on the class a few random thoughts. I have trained with George/MCS 4 times now. Each time valuable lessons were learned and hopefully retained.

The pen work on day 1 was very enlightening. Everyone has access to a pen/small stick. Knowing how to properly use it is another thing.

Day 2 was combative pistol which was mostly a review for me. Any time you have the opportunity to train with air soft in a controlled environment, under a teacher the caliber of George (He is kind of a big deal) you should jump on it. Anyone can run around with an air soft and shoot his buddy in the butt. Having someone explain the body mechanics and the methods of an attack and how YOUR body reacts is worth every penny.

I have posted reviews of my previous MCS training on INGO. Search them out and read them. When the opportunity to train with George/MCS comes up you should take it, the value is there.

I would also like to give schapm a big THANK YOU for opening up his home and hosting the training. He and his family are real good people.

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    a few additional thoughts

Agree and echo those already posted. I really like his teaching style.

Body mechanics and attack/defense angles I'd mentioned to others before as topics of interest, with a view toward greater effectiveness and simplification rather than complication. A few bits and pieces from past training were jogged in memory, yet never before had it been brought together in such a way that seems so natural under physiological stress, while allowing flexibility to move without "thinking".

It's a very liberating feeling.

I would like to pursue additional training in this area to further develop these skills.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Lets make a long gun course happen. Just you and the guns, no class costumes.- George

schapm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    I would love to do a long gun course. Shotgun or carbine. However, the farm where I hunt doesn't have a berm, so I can't host this. If someone else would be able to host that would be amazing. I would be all over it.

Top Bottom