• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • schapm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    A couple people have asked about the times on these classes. Plan on starting at 9am, so try to arrive a little before that so we can get going.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    This just sucks, been looking for a class like this for the last 3 days. Can't make this one but I will make your next indy class. Thanks for the write ups.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Hope you guys are ready to train, because I am. Just got home yesterday from teaching Vehicle Tactics for LE at the Southwest Alabama Police Academy. Home for 36 hrs then off again.

Getting my lesson plans and handouts together for this weekend. I have never covered this much information in this short of time. The good things is that Combative Anatomy and Combative Fundamentals are foundation of the whole weekend, and will be covered first thing, so everyone is on the same sheet of paper.

I know for sure that I will not be back until 2012. My LE/MIL work is keeping me busy, and I am only home two weeks a month now. We have some slots open here. If you want the training and and can make it happen, I suggest you try to attend this weekend.

Especially when it comes to pistol, we will put more than one bullsh*t and fairydust myth to rest. If you need anything from me feel free to text me at 443-807-7078 or e-mail me at mercop27@gmail.com.- George

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I just PMed shapm about a maybe a last minute sign-up.

George...I don't have a training folder but I have a real trainer for my clinch-pick style fixed blade knife I carry every day...I'm fine with it if you are. Got the blue-gun and carry a G17 so my holsters should be good to go.

MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville
    George,
    Any chance you'll have some of your goodies for sell there, specifically the tactical tether and Mercharness? If so I'll brig along some extra cash to pick up one of each.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Unfortunatly no, I only had enough time at home to repack, print class materials, and get to the airport (here now). But just anyone at the class can order anything and receive free shipping, MCS alumni always receive free shipping. See ya soon- George

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Looks like union at our shop agreed to 120 hour notice before any sort of strike / etc. So I won't have any late-night calls saying I need to come in. Looks like I'm in for sure.

I'm looking forward to tying this view on things with similar training in ECQC I just took. By the way George, you're "Master Grip" with the flagged thumb is exactly how Southnarc explains the grip in his "2" position which is used for all close-range shooting and fighting. It's that grip in a high pectoral index. Very cool. Can't wait for tomorrow. After the last class I was bruised, bloody, and had a mouth-guard full of mud and grass but had a great idea of what I needed to work on. Hopefully I can be better this time and have an even better grasp on my weaknesses.

Legacy1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Are there any other items not listed on the first page that would be a good idea to bring this weekend? I'm just making a list and don't want to forget anything.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Are there any other items not listed on the first page that would be a good idea to bring this weekend? I'm just making a list and don't want to forget anything.

I'll bring some extra Glock 17 holsters since that's what I carry. I can bring some sparring gear if it would be useful. I have 2 sets of headgear, training gloves, 4 focus pads, and 1 chest protector I could bring. It would have been useful at my last FoF but I'll wait on George to say whether this gear will be useful or not in this class. I'll also have a cup as I learned the hard way that it helps in a FoF class...:n00b::n00b:

Last edited:

schapm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    Everyone who is signed up for this class check your PMs. I sent you my cell number. I am going to be out and about tonight and in the morning, so that will be the best way to reach me if you need something. I am stoked to train with all of you tomorrow.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Good job today guys, tons of good information. Tomorrow will be a "bit" more intense:)

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    OK, here is some of what we covered-
    Selection, Carry, Deployment, and Use of the combative pistol
    Using visual instead of audio stimulus in training
    Gun grappling
    Weapon retention in and out of the holster
    Deploy the pistol after being knocked backward to the ground
    21 foot drill based on the fight and not the gun
    MCS Drop Step
    Taking physical control of another while drawing and engaging target

Here is what we found...as usual-

Out of 100′s of airsoft shot during drills and scenarios there was one head shot (unintentional)
    Approx 85-90% of rounds fired struck between the knees and nipple line.
    Several shots struck hands, not because they were aimed, but because the hands were between the muzzle and COM.
    All drills were conducted from 0-7 yards
    Approx -10% missed rounds
    NO ONE reported seeing their sights
    NO ONE reported being able to close one eye
    NO ONE was able to transition to a head shot
    Seldom were students able to even get the gun between their eyes and threat
    Approx 90% of the shots were one handed
    Shots were fired while using the off hand to defend an open-hand, impact, or edged weapon attack
    This class is for two types of people-
    A- you have little to know training but want to know how to use a pistol to defend yourself at the distances at which there situations occur.
    B- you have a lot of traditional training but have a feeling that it may no be what you need to survive a real altercation.

Had a great time, you were guys were motivated and I look forward to coming back soon.- George

MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville
    It rocked!!! Highly recommend George, can't wait to train with him again! I'll post more thoughts when I get a chance but it was an eye opener and I have a lot more "tools" in the box that doesn't just invovle just going to gun.

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Thank you to Schapm for hosting, Mercop for making the journey, and fellow students for being good training partners. It was great meeting you all.
    Most important sections (leaving out other topics and many details):

- Empty hand defense
    - Use of improvised impact weapons
    - Deployment and use of folding knife in inverted edge tactics
    - Moving quickly at effective angle to counter the attack(s)

Main takeaways and immediate benefits (might add more later):

- Increased confidence in empty hand skills. Prior instruction in basic martial arts may be helpful, but not necessary at all.
    - Increased confidence in and appreciation of capabilities with the folding knife
    - Won't have time or opportunity to get both hands on pistol or see the sights with things happening that fast and at that range, yet neither is necessary to get effective, fight-stopping hits. Increased confidence in ability to use pistol with one hand.

This is the integrated approach to self-defense I've been looking for. Everything in this system works seamlessly.
    So glad I took this course.

Last edited:

oldnovice

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Once again, a great training opportunity. I want to add my thanks to Schapm for hosting. Each time I train with George I learn more about how everything (open hand, blade, pistol) needs to fit together. As many of us cannot carry while at work, I believe it is important to learn skills that can be used in that environment. For me, that is always a great part of the weekend.

Looking forward to see George come back to Indiana for another training opportunity. (I heard it said over the weekend that he is kind of a big deal....:))

Top Bottom