• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Do you have to have a police report to file an insurance claim? Do you have to call it in and wait for an officer on a fender bender?

Looks like my proactive approach to driving/riding may be the way to go.

Go fast and stay ahead of the distracted drivers. Always have a plan to evade someone trying to kill you.

My little dab of professional driving instruction did sink in one reminder. No matter what, always have a place to go.

The officer will be able to provide you with a crash number, and that is all your insurance should need to move forward. Also, state law mandates that any crash involving $1000 or more of damage be reported. This is essentially a scratch on a newer car though.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Unless Indiana changed something in the last couple years, I don’t think this is correct. Michigan is a no fault state and it completely sucks. I pay double in Michigan for less coverage than I had in Indiana. And PLPD doesn’t do crap for you up here. Even if someone rear ended you and is completely at fault, if you don’t have full coverage you are screwed. Your insurance always covers your vehicle no matter who is at fault.

At at least in Indiana I could carry PLPD and if someone hit me, their insurance would cover my vehicle. Not in Michigan.

PLPD?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Indiana is not a no-fault state. In November, my son was hit from behind and then on Dec 26th, I was hit from behind while sitting at a stop light. In both cases, there was fault found and communicated and the insurance company covering the person at fault took over the claim unless I wanted my insurance company to handle it and recover the money from them. I sure am glad that we are not a no-fault state in this age of cell phones.

When I lived in CA, I was hit a couple of times, none of which was my fault, yet my insurance company raised my rates with a claim that my vehicle had a poor claims history. Other people ran into me in a no-fault state and my rates when up because of their issues. No thanks to being no-fault here.

Dybber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    South side Indy
    Part of my job as an adjuster is handling accident claims involving what you’re talking about. While it is true the police don’t determine fault what they put on the police report can be very important.

Make sure to to take pictures of both vehilces’ positions in the round-a-bout and as much of all sides of the vehicles you can. Take pictures of the damage and any prior damage. The point of impact is the most important component that will determine liability. Without getting into the weeds, Indiana law is such that more than 1 person can have responsibility in an accident.

Since you you are asking about round-a-bouts I would say move the vehicles if it can be done safely and to not impede other traffic. If traffic can still pass I would leave the vehicles at their location of rest for the officer to see...but response time is not always the greatest depending on where you are.

Hope me that helps some!

Top Bottom