• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Newbomb92

Expert
    Rating - 88.5%
    23   3   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    NW Indiana
    How do you guys feel about modifying any firearms you inherited or that have great sentimental value to you? When my Dad died he left me his S&W 6906. I wanted to keep it in it's NIB condition and not touch it, however I think it'd be nice to add my own touch to it, it's still the same gun, just more suited to me (night sights, 5906 adapted mag, etc).

Also, would you guys keep the gun in the safe? Or carry it daily even though it will show wear eventually?

Newbomb92

Expert
    Rating - 88.5%
    23   3   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I honestly don't know, he died when I was 12. He did buy me a Ruger 10/22 at 9yo, a Rem 870 20ga at 10yo, and bought my Mom a Colt .38. So I'd say he is pro-gun.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    If he thought it was important enough to give it to you before he died, then I'm sure he'd want you to be happy with it. If that means keeping it simple, so be it. If it means modifying to to your liking, then do that.

ssgjason

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Southern IN
    I am battling this same question. If you are only doing things that you can easily change back. Do it with-out hesitation. If you are permanently altering, then think about about it. I am still thinking, for about the last 6 months

Newbomb92

Expert
    Rating - 88.5%
    23   3   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Yea I mean I could find a similair gun but like a 5906 or 4506 and carry/modify that. But I don't know, what if I actually needed the gun to defend myself? Maybe there'd be some Guardian Angel stuff goin on if I used the 6906?

.30 Cal Al

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    Hi

Why do you want to keep the gun?

Because you like guns: Change it the way you like it.

Because it was your Dad's and it has some strong sentimental attachment: What do you think your Dad would say about the changes?

Because it has a lot of collector value: Keep it the way it is and fully document the chain of possession as far back as you can get the information for provenience when you decide to sell it.

I figure there are more reasons, and that some of the above overlap in places, but those are essentially the three ways things shake out, and the biggest reason for each.

I hope this helps.

sparky241

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    if you modified it would it still be the same gun he gave you? Has he ever modified any of his guns?

Farmritch

Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    Being that you are asking opinions here
    It's not an antique so a mod here and there should be no issue at this point in time. if it was a 1911 made in 1911 it would be a different story
    It was your Dads and he left it to you because he wanted you to have it.
    You are now in control
    If I change something, I keep the orig. parts so it can be returned to the orig. state any time I want.
    As you said it will still be the same gun.

hookedonjeep

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    With the other Sheepdogs
    Did he buy it for you to defend your life with, or with the intention of it being a safe queen? My father is still among us, and has already given me several of his guns - a couple of Ruger Single Sixes (.22 with the conversion cylinder, and his trusty .357) that he bought way before I was born. I take them to the range regularly, and clean them as such. He always taught me that if you buy something and expect it to always be pretty, you will never get to enjoy it. IMHO, use that bad-boy! Carry it with pride, knowing in some way that he is with you wherever you go! :rockwoot:

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    I just lost my dad last month , I have the guns he had and have had them for along time , he had givin them to me when he first became ill.
    Yes i shoot them have been since i was a child . some were the first guns I ever shot .

I have modified ALOT of guns in my time , but I know my dad liked his guns the way they were , and thats the way they stay , I have guns that are monitaraly worth alot more than dads guns are , but to me his guns are my most regarded posessions and they have and always will remain the way he kept them and will be left to the next in line the same way i recieved them ...Lookin as new factory in the box ...:twocents::patriot:

buzzard pickins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Out by the Prague pond
    If you have other guns keep it as was given to you, and on his birthday take it to the range and shoot it.along with your kids if you have any. Traditions can become a guidepost with younger children. When they grow up and tell storys to there kids about shooting grandpas gun, they inherited. Just one option.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    My Dad was not a "gun guy." He left each of my brothers and I a Japanese rifle that he brought back after WWII. I shoot mine, but I'll never change it or sell it. That's just how I feel about it.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    If you have other guns keep it as was given to you, and on his birthday take it to the range and shoot it.along with your kids if you have any. Traditions can become a guidepost with younger children. When they grow up and tell storys to there kids about shooting grandpas gun, they inherited. Just one option.

That's better than my feelings, and that's what I'm going to do.

GregD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Madison County
    I would like to answer your question from a dad's view. When my son gets my guns I would want him to enjoy them just like I did. If making changes to them is what makes him happier with them I hope he will do it.

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Overall, it's a decision "you" have to make on your own! No one here is going to be able to make it for you.
    But I will tell you what I'd do. If I wouldn't own the Firearm under normal circumstances w/o it being modified a bit, I would modify it. It would be kind of cool if you left the same trigger on. No matter how different the firearm looks, your finger will always be pulling back on the same trigger your dads was. I would also keep all the original pieces.

Flatlander.54

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2009
    Parker City
    I still have my Dads old Ruger 10/22 and its no different than it was the day he got it almost 40 years ago. I think the decision to modify/change things is a very personal issue, my self I want to leave it as it is because that old Ruger was and still is synonymous with my Dad. People still ask me to this day..."Do you still have that old 10/22 of your Dads?"
    Ill never change a thing about it.:twocents:

reno

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Well as a father and grandfather, Yes I have given guns to my son and grandson. Once I do that they belong to them.
    With the firearms I have that belonged to my father. I have left them as is. Almost each one has it's own memories associated with it. My opinion about my guns that I have that belonged to him is that i would not change them.
    But as everyone has said, just about everyone, they are yours, he was your father, you must do what you feel is correct.
    You satisfy yourself in this area, not the rest of us.
    The fact that you are asking seems to impart some guilt about considering it.
    Just my two cents worth which is not worth much more than that , if that.

Top Bottom