Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Columbus
    A. I have never reloaded

B. I dont know much 'anything' about it

C. I dont really have the resources or time to research this

-It why I'm running this by yall.

Anywho yesterday I was watching a video how hornady critical defense ammunition works with the little plastic or rubber insert that helps the hollow point cavity expand.

Stupid if I didn't ask-
    I was thinking similar effects could be achieved by dripping wax into a hollow point cavity or pressing in an airsoft pellet or some other material.

I think my mind went there from seeing the poison bullet making scene in Jaws 2 when I was like ..8.

Do any of you reloaders mess this madness?
    :dunno:

thanks

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    339   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Do you mean JHP?

The short answer - no, don't ever do this.

The long answer - the ball in the CD ammo is similar to the tip in an Vmax bullet, its not designed to do anything except begin the mushroom expansion to the point where the lead can naturally take over. Its not part of the final weight retention, its simply a catalyst to ensure proper function.

Also, the ball is put in place to prevent any plugging or debris from entering the hollow point. This ensures reliable (and repeatable) terminal ballistics.

Wax, if anything, would hinder the expansion process by preventing the hollow point to do its job - although it would need to be very hard wax. Second - the wax would most likely melt on ignition or in flight, causing nasty gunk inside your barrel or in the air.

As for the airsoft pellet, I don't know. I'm not going to try it though. The ball may become dislodged upon firing the round and cause internal problems with the bullet flight. No thanks.

And out of curiosity, what did the scene in Jaws have to do with anything?

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Do you mean JHP?

The short answer - no, don't ever do this.

The long answer - the ball in the CD ammo is similar to the tip in an Vmax bullet, its not designed to do anything except begin the mushroom expansion to the point where the lead can naturally take over. Its not part of the final weight retention, its simply a catalyst to ensure proper function.

Also, the ball is put in place to prevent any plugging or debris from entering the hollow point. This ensures reliable (and repeatable) terminal ballistics.

Wax, if anything, would hinder the expansion process by preventing the hollow point to do its job - although it would need to be very hard wax. Second - the wax would most likely melt on ignition or in flight, causing nasty gunk inside your barrel or in the air.

As for the airsoft pellet, I don't know. I'm not going to try it though. The ball may become dislodged upon firing the round and cause internal problems with the bullet flight. No thanks.

And out of curiosity, what did the scene in Jaws have to do with anything?

One addition to this is the ball can help in feeding as well. It makes the JHP round more like a Jacketed Round Nose bullet that rides up the feed ramp easier.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    Actually I had considered the same thing when I was much younger. We tried making our own .22 hollowpoints also. It didnt work out so great but we didnt know what we were doing either.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Actually I had considered the same thing when I was much younger. We tried making our own .22 hollowpoints also. It didnt work out so great but we didnt know what we were doing either.

We often modified our .22 rounds, but we made a jig that you slide the bullet into and filed the lead flat. Just a bit of flat on a lead round nose, really made a better kill on small game.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Second - the wax would most likely melt on ignition or in flight, causing nasty gunk inside your barrel or in the air.

Doubt it would melt, but even if it did, it would do no harm. My home made bullet lube is made of beeswax and olive oil. Works great, but a bit smokey sometimes.

Doug K

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm all for inventive ways to have more fun as long as it's safe.

One not so safe thing we did as teens was using 12ga slugs to send .22 shorts down range (rim forward).

I can't say for sure if it actually did anything spectacular because we only did a few and the impact was too far away to notice any secondary pop or discharge.

Top Bottom