• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Anyone make a truly modular pack? I keep cycling through 2 or 3 different packs. They all have pros and cons, but I haven't found one I like to lug around all the time. Love to find something that is truly module. Meaning, I can detach, say, a sling pack as a "day pack" to keep near my person. Then, attach it to a "main pack" that (with the day pack) serves as a GHB. Even better, have an easy way to add another "module" for the winter, with heaver clothes and better shelter materials pre-packed.

I'm sure I can piece something together. Wonder if this already exists, and I just haven't come across it.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Kifaru dock and lock feature.

I lock a large claymore pouch to my E&E pack. Then my E&E can be locked to a larger pack, or the pouch itself can be moved into or on other packs. That pouch is my serious survival gear. It holds smaller pouches of dedicated gear as well.

In my truck, I keep another small day pack that is empty with it. So I can pick and choose what I take for a few hours of hunting, day of kayaking, all day hunt or hike, load up second pack for a friend.

Two roly polys on e&e as well. Each big enough to hold two platypus bottles.

I used it in the airport last weekend. Unlock pouch, dump other contents in truck, walk in.

I did mine years ago, since then they have improved every piece I own.

I also keep a Galco belt with a large butt pack on it, empty.

A 511 vest in cooler weather (now), and I'm about as modular as I need to be. The 511 is great for field use.

There is lighter stuff. There is cheaper stuff. There is better stuff.......but all my stuff has been in my truck for about 14 years and still works.

Last edited:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    IMHO, if you want true modular with loads of options there isn't much out there except molle stuff... molle on whatever you want, wherever you want it, and if you want quick detach, add on some fastex buckles where needed...

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    The USMC FILBE pack kind of does this. The assault pack attached to the top via 4 fastex buckles on cinch straps, and the system comes with 4 sustainment pouches you can attach wherever. As far as expansion for the winter, you'd have to think reduction for the summer. The lowest compartment and be sealed off via zipper and cinched down so its nonexistent. Pretty cheap system on Ebay, but all coyote tan. The ruck and daypack are both comfortable, but the problem comes if your pack isn't full and you attach the daypack; it wants to lean away from you. Not much of an issue as you can toss the contents of the daypack or the daypack itself inside the main ruck if its empty.

filbe.jpg c5fe452f2fb46a4744fd3ff63c3460fd.jpg

Tactical tailor's MALICE ruck has a removable lid/claymore pouch that can be worn as a fanny pack for E&E type situations.

Last edited:

The Professor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2015
    Evansville
    I have to second Kifaru's line of tactical packs. The damned things are amazing pieces of equipment. I was lucky enough to get to tour the factory just outside of Denver when I lived in Fort Collins and saw them being made. Solid materials and over-engineered assembly. Yes, they're expensive. But, keeping in mind my philosophy that the equipment you have may be the only gear you can get hold of, it makes sense to me to buy the best when I can. Since I was so impressed with their craftsmanship and materials,the spousal unit and I both purchased Navigators before they were discontinued. I liked the ability to fully open the pack, if I needed to.

Here's an older pic of the Wife's kit:

View attachment 51014

We set ours up in such a way that there is a Main Pack (#1) and a "Ditch Kit" on one side that was originally a ComSat sling bag (#2). On the other side, #4 is an "enhanced" Trauma Kit (Think of a Trauma kit augmented with basic meds and footcare items so you don't need to dig through the pack for a blister, cut or somesuch.

Pouch #3 is a standard MOLLE Sustainment Pouch. In this case, it holds the day's food along with water procurement items, a change of socks. . .stuff that you'd expect to need throughout the day as you moved from Point A to Point B.

What is missing from this picture is the Kifaru E&E pouch that attaches to the back panel which gives an additional 1000 Cubic inches of room.

The kit you see here is set up for Summer in Colorado, so it's pretty light. With Winter and the heavier clothing and sleeping bag, it pushes other items outside the bag.

In my case, I don't like to open the bag and spread things out when I lay up for the night. If I can get away with it, I'll do the "Rucksack Flop" and sleep leaning against the pack with the shoulder straps loosened and waist strap open. I also don't eat/cook in the same location where I sleep. If the situation demands a formal shelter, then only a few things are outside the pack. If my position is compromised and I have to immediately relocate, there's less a chance of me leaving something behind. Besides, how many of you have tried to stuff all that snivel gear back into a pack under duress, in the dark, as quietly as you can?

The Modularity of the above system lets us tailor it for the season. Truth is, your needs don't really change all that much in winter compared to summer. The environment is different, requiring a change of your clothes and shelter, but you still need food, water, defense, etc. The larger, insulated clothing, and especially, the sleeping bag take up more room in the main kit.

I felt a need to modularize everything because of the changing seasons. Twice a year, when I was younger, we would take everything out and repack. Modularizing seemed only efficient.

Just some thoughts, hope they help.

The Professor

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    Kifaru is probably one of the best pack makers out there but the last time I checked the wait time was 2-4 months, or you could bid one off on eBay for 1/3 more the retail price. Look at Eberlestock I don't own one and I think they are made in china but they look impressive.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I am switching out to a 5.11 Rush 12 backpack with a
    Rush tier Rifle Sleeve clipped to it, and a Moab 6 pack clipped to it.

Moab 6 pack will be full medical pack, rifle sleeve will hold M4, and Rush 12 will be full load out/bugout bag. Each bag can be unattached from the other or just strap on and go.

Top Bottom