• ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I've seen that before..

I LOVE things like this.

Extremely complex and powerful.... Yet simple and, dare I say, "beautiful", too?

-J-

Constructionist

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    I was watching this behind the pharmacy counter at work. After about 30 seconds I realized the soundtrack probably made it sound like I was watching another form of entertainment.

Glad there were no customers at the time.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    223583-super-mario-bros-nes-screenshot-bullet-bills-and-buzzy-beetle.png

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    Serpicostraight, thanks for the posting. Very entertaining! :yesway:

Some years back I saw one of these films done by Winchester. It was unique in that the high speed camera was mounted perpendicular to the bore axis but focused on a mirror at a 45 degree angle to the bore. The effect was such that you saw the bullet leaving the muzzle and heading straight for you until it impacted the mirror. They used various weapons and calibers as well as altering the distance from muzzle to mirror.

The long distance shots (approx 100 yds) were most interesting as, sometimes, you could track the bullet right from the muzzle to impact; others you lost sight of it against the background of muzzle blast and the round simply "arrived" quite by surprise. The trajectories were very clear in this film and, with some of the handgun rounds at this distance, rather exaggerated. In fact, comically so. More like "lobbed from a catapult" than "fired from a gun". Imagine a throw from deep right field to home plate and you have a pretty accurate mental picture of the arc.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Awesome, could do without the Euro-trash techno music though.

Physics question; from the 6:41 mark to around 6:50, the bullet smashing into armor plate appears to eject material back in the direction of the shot. This does not occur with the longer rifle bullets. Why?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I think it's cool that you can actually see a little bit of metallurgy in some of these shots.

In some of the shots against the steel, especially where the edge of the plate is in view, you can see what looks to be some "crystalline dust" kind of shatter and flake off - much like glitter. That's because as the metal hardens, it cools into a crystalline / granular structure. Yes, steel has a grain! And the shock of impact on the edge of the steel plates is actually loosening and sloughing off some of these grains AND breaking them apart into dust. (Can anyone tell I'm not a metallurgist by any stretch of the imagination?)

Also VERY interesting to see the differences in the AP ammo vs others as far as the penetration of the steel. Some of the bullets passed through almost without stopping / deforming while others punched through, but separated along the way.

-J-

Top Bottom