• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pheenix42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Lafayette, IN
    Mom has in her closet an old 'J.C. Higgins' marked (sold through Sears Roebuck) .22 single shot bolt action rifle that's just gathering dust and cobwebs. It'd be a terrific recreational rifle with a proper cleanup!

But...since she doesn't keep it for self-protection (she lives out in a rural part of Virginia) anymore because of the proximity of relatives to watch the place, how do I persuade her to part company with it? I even offered to buy her a shotgun to keep in the closet, but she didn't seem too keen to the idea.

Any suggestions?:popcorn:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    IMO a good son would give her a brick of 22 ammo for it and take her shooting.

You will probably get it eventually anyway.... A good excuse to spend time with mom. She will probably be tickled...

Hope I didn't offend, just my thoughts.

jmb79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Wyoming
    My father in law gave my wife and me his J.C. Higgins branded Sears single shot .22lr rifle a couple of years ago. In fact, I shot it again last weekend at Eagle Creek. I believe it was manufactured in the early 1950s but I am still trying to pin that down. In any event, it is extremely accurate with the iron sights at 50 yards. I haven't used it a longer distances than that.

pheenix42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Lafayette, IN
    You know, what I think I'll do next year when I go to visit is take some gun cleaning supplies with me, and just give it a good going over so it doesn't deteriorate...maybe get a soft case to store it in...who knows, she might just let me take it with me when I go back home! That, or we just go out and shoot at some tin cans or something, you know? Either way, a nice older rifle doesn't sit idle and never sees the outside any more!:twocents:

pheenix42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Lafayette, IN
    If you are wanting it just for sentimental value, buy her another similar rifle. She probably likes the simplicity of the operation.

Actually...she's never fired it; not ever. She got it from an older gentleman that she did some home care for before he passed away, and she just kept it in the closet ever since.

Top Bottom