• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I almost put this in the prepping threads because of its medical value.

My wife has to get an endoscopy about every other year. I found this on sale.

Now I just need to get her on board to start saving some serious cash.

Share your money saving tips with fellow INGOers

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    We have always got the most fuel efficient cars we could. We had 1992 and 1993 Geo Metros (50+mpg) until the rust monster got them. 200,000+ miles including rebuilds. Our youngest now has our 2005 Golf TDI (50+ mpg), but it has more than 250,000 mile and is showing it's age. Our 2016 C-Max plug-in hybrid is currently getting 54+ mpg over the last 7500 miles. That's money back in my pocket.

We do strange stuff in our household - wash out and re-use ziplock bags, have no paper towels (lots of old rags), can produce, trade eggs for honey or money for buying feed, we look through junk mail that has nothing printed on the back and use them for phone message and note cards, grind our own flour, and have a drawer full of plasticware from various meals. SWMBO has a closet (and several trash bags) full of hand-me-up clothes that friends or their kids outgrew or just got tired of. And ammo reloading - I make custom hunting rounds for less than 1/4 the cost of factory.

All that doesn't add up to huge savings, but it does add up eventually.

ETA: I may have taken this thread more seriously than warranted.

Last edited:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Stop buying most commercial cleaners. Dawn and vinegar, in the kitchen. Ammonia removes blood stains in fabrics. The works blue top toilet bowl cleaner (diluted hydrochloric acid) does a lot of cleaning jobs. You just don’t need to have all tho $5-$20 bottles all over the house…

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Stop buying most commercial cleaners. Dawn and vinegar, in the kitchen. Ammonia removes blood stains in fabrics. The works blue top toilet bowl cleaner (diluted hydrochloric acid) does a lot of cleaning jobs. You just don’t need to have all tho $5-$20 bottles all over the house…
    We get the industrial strength vinegar, 30% or something...she buys it and then mix it down.

Borax is still a great laundry cleaner also

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Yes
    We have always got the most fuel efficient cars we could. We had 1992 and 1993 Geo Metros (50+mpg) until the rust monster got them. 200,000+ miles including rebuilds. Our youngest now has our 2005 Golf TDI (50+ mpg), but it has more than 250,000 mile and is showing it's age. Our 2016 C-Max plug-in hybrid is currently getting 54+ mpg over the last 7500 miles. That's money back in my pocket.

We do strange stuff in our household - wash out and re-use ziplock bags, have no paper towels (lots of old rags), can produce, trade eggs for honey or money for buying feed, we look through junk mail that has nothing printed on the back and use them for phone message and note cards, grind our own flour, and have a drawer full of plasticware from various meals. SWMBO has a closet (and several trash bags) full of hand-me-up clothes that friends or their kinds outgrew or just got tired of. And ammo reloading - I make custom hunting rounds for less than 1/4 the cost of factory.

All that doesn't add up to huge savings, but it does add up eventually.

ETA: I may have taken this thread more seriously than warranted.
    And no. I started off silly but I do like real savings ideas.

I almost said tips but Printcraft would show up sooner or later probably and he doesn't need any soft ahem balls.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Keep in mind, that TP has two sides.;)
    I think I get what you are saying...with proper sanitation procedures, it could double as a colonoscopy.

Maybe I could set up a low cost clinic out in the garage for a side hustle.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    We save 40.00 a month on electric bill by hanging our laundry out to dry. On bad days, or extremely cold, I set up a retractable line by the wood stove.
    I am a fan of that too. She isn't. Summer is best actually smells fresh naturally. Naturally starched too :)

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Peroxide for blood stains. If for some reason you have puddles of the stuff, they sell industrial strength peroxide in the plumbing isle at home depot and lowes. Beats paying cleaners....

Buy table salt from GFS or online from Morton in 25lb bags. Break is down into mason jars(12 or so) to keep it dry.

Top Bottom