• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    I’m thinking of taking my grandson to Monster Jam this February.
    Wife reminded me when we went 10+ years ago the air quality was so terrible we had to leave. If you have been to Monster Jam in the last few years at Lucas Oil, what was the air quality like?
    I’m trying to get over a long term cough so I appreciate your thoughts.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    In the RCA dome it was horrible. I didnt think it was too bad in Lucas Oil, but everyones allergies/tolerance is different.

My opinion, take your grandson and give him a memory he will remember after we are long gone. Get seats up high to help it not be so bad, isnt a bad seat when it comes to monster trucks.

I know most indoor races and tractor pulls are using a ventilation system for the race fuel, i believe this is now required, although it doesnt completely get rid of the fumes, it helps a lot.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Get a pair of 3M 6000 (he'll need a small, and be fit-tested) and some 60923 cartridges. If you have facial hair, you need to not have it.

Or, just go, have a good time, leave if it bothers you. Earplugs.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    The Monster Trucks use Alcohol for Fuel (Methanol). These Engines are very efficient and produce very little Carbon Monoxide. Although the smell is offensive to some folks its much less harmful than an Engine using Race Gas. I'm accustomed to the smell and the only one I Like better is Nitro Methane!
    (Retired Alcohol Dragster - Funny Car Crew Chief)

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The Monster Trucks use Alcohol for Fuel (Methanol). These Engines are very efficient and produce very little Carbon Monoxide. Although the smell is offensive to some folks its much less harmful than an Engine using Race Gas. I'm accustomed to the smell and the only one I Like better is Nitro Methane!
    (Retired Alcohol Dragster - Funny Car Crew Chief)
    Are you saying my VP fuels C23 is harmful?
    I've never run methanol, but have been on the starting line when a car with a screw blower on methanol was in the other lane. Had me tearing up like I was behind a nitro car warm up in the pits. Hard to believe that's any better than race gas.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I've never been to monster jam, but I go to Indy supercross every year, and it isn't bad at all. You still smell the race fuel, which is better than cologne, but I've never had trouble breathing.

Not sure what would make more fumes two monster trucks racing or twenty 450 dirt bikes.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    I've taken my son a few times and never noticed poor air quality. It gets a little hazy inside but the fumes aren't bad at all.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    They raced sprint cars in the Hoosier dome 1 time and that was a trip. It was a little fume loaded balloon. The motor cross races inside the dome were a little clouded as well. I have never been to lucas oil but it would be fun to see the monster trucks there.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    There is good ventilation at Lucas oil. It will be flowing on high. The dust does get everywhere even with them watering down the dirt. Most of the time it is two short races of two trucks each. Then longer runs for freestyle one truck at a time.

The fumes are not bad and for me supercross seems worse fume wise. More engines longer runs. Maybe different fuel combos among the classes.

Bring ear protection for anyone with ears that work. I pass out lots of foam ear plugs to kids who seem to always be without them and the ones they sell are big bucks at the venue. Mom and dad splurge on tickets and many can not afford ear protection. I go thru a big bag most days.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    I've never run methanol, but have been on the starting line when a car with a screw blower on methanol was in the other lane. Had me tearing up like I was behind a nitro car warm up in the pits. Hard to believe that's any better than race gas.
    You get a little Teary with Alcohol, Nitro is one step below Pepper Spray when standing on the Starting Line.

GourdOnTheDoor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2022
    Noblesville
    I’m thinking of taking my grandson to Monster Jam this February.
    Wife reminded me when we went 10+ years ago the air quality was so terrible we had to leave. If you have been to Monster Jam in the last few years at Lucas Oil, what was the air quality like?
    I’m trying to get over a long term cough so I appreciate your thoughts.
    I went last year at Lucas Oil and it really did not seem bad at all to me i cannot remember noticing it at all. Not a bad idea to bring a real mask and maybe some earplugs but it is a very good time i am sure he would enjoy it.

Methane Herder

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Pitchfork Union
    Breathing or having your eyes exposed to burnt Torco methanol in a poorly ventilated space is slightly better than the same scenario involving CS.

Slightly.

MH

Top Bottom