• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    Hey all, has anyone been to a monster jam event at Lucas Oil and know what the firearm situation is? Can you get by with carrying, or do they have metal detectors or wands or anything?

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    I went this evening (great show). They had metal detectors but werent stopping anyone, we had a diaper bag with us and I made a joke that the weed was in the kids milk, the worker said something to the effect that he didnt care, they were told not to stop anyone

That being said they did have metal detectors you had to walk through

I left my little buddy in the car but had two knives on me.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    I went this evening (great show). They had metal detectors but werent stopping anyone, we had a diaper bag with us and I made a joke that the weed was in the kids milk, the worker said something to the effect that he didnt care, they were told not to stop anyone

That being said they did have metal detectors you had to walk through

I left my little buddy in the car but had two knives on me.
    Did the knives set off the detectors or were they even on since they were told not to stop anyone?

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    Did the knives set off the detectors or were they even on since they were told not to stop anyone?
    They did set the detectors off but noone even looked at me.

The machines were constantly going off but they were using them more like a gate for people to walk through as in people were rushing through them rather than one person at a time.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Do we think it's worth the risk to just go ahead and carry, thinking they won't care?

The last place I'd want to be unarmed is downtown Indy. Especially from and to a parking lot. Talk about a perfect setup for crooks with nothing to lose...

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    Im just relaying my experience, not any type of advice

Thst being said I guess if they are checking people you could always take that long walk back to the car and put it away.

We walked from the parking garage through the convention center all the way to the stadium so we were not on the street at all except at the very end for half a block (they were not letting anyone use the tunnel from the center to the stadium last night).

Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    Do we think it's worth the risk to just go ahead and carry, thinking they won't care?

The last place I'd want to be unarmed is downtown Indy. Especially from and to a parking lot. Talk about a perfect setup for crooks with nothing to lose...
    I am solo with my two young boys... This is why I ask. We have parking in the garage on the other end of the convention center... But which is more risky?

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    I am solo with my two young boys... This is why I ask. We have parking in the garage on the other end of the convention center... But which is more risky?
    Maybe a few guys from here can coordinate and walk together ( I know easier said than done).

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

That's certainly the argument. How will the boys handle it, if they won't let you in? If you have to leave, get in the car and go home?

Which is more risky? Not being let into Lucas Oil or failing to protect your boys (and possibly their friends) in a known high crime city?

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    We walked from the parking garage through the convention center all the way to the stadium so we were not on the street at all except at the very end for half a block (they were not letting anyone use the tunnel from the center to the stadium last night).
    This is an excellent bit of advice. And that last bit across South street from the center to the stadium is short, wide open, and full of witnesses. In my experience, this method is your safest bet.

And the only really risky part I know of in that area is the Illinois street bridge under the tracks next to the bus terminal. Typically there are some sketch, mental, homeless that tend to hang there. (I drive that frequently)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I don't think it's worth the risk to just carry on in the hopes that they won't notice.

It's likely not. I'm just gonna convince the grandkids that they'd rather go fishing.

The crime in Indy is not worth the risk. Especially if the business we would be supporting with our dollars doesn't believe in our right to defend ourselves.

What is the body count in Marion County this weekend?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

It's honest to God not that scary. There's plenty of cops around the stadiums when there's a big event. There's large crowds of people. It's not exactly prime target selection area for victims. You might see a cup shaker panhandling, but nobody is getting murdered, raped, and/or robbed leaving Monster Jam unless they go to the hood to buy meth afterward, go to the homeless camps and start rifling through somebody's ****, or go close down the local bar by hitting on some hood rat's girl.

Its a tourist attraction with everything from GenCon nerds to NCAA jocks to FFA kids downtown all the time, yet INGO acts like it's Fallujah.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    It's likely not. I'm just gonna convince the grandkids that they'd rather go fishing.

The crime in Indy is not worth the risk. Especially if the business we would be supporting with our dollars doesn't believe in our right to defend ourselves.

To be fair, as mentioned in some of the other threads on crime as long as you are not involved in gangs, have a criminal history, hang out with people who have criminal history, don’t do drugs, and generally are not a bad person, your chances of being killed in Indianapolis are extremely low.

Your biggest threat in the situation is an aggressive pan handler.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    I've worked downtown Indy two different times, and never had any issues. When I was in my 20s we were downtown all the time.

There are bad areas of Indy, but those areas are not where tourists are going to be at for the most part. Downtown Indy is fairly safe.

Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    After action report of a sorts
    So i chose not to carry, I didn't want to take the risk of having to walk the .5 miles back to the car with a 6 and 9 year old.
    And i'm glad I didnt, because woudln't you know it i got in the ONE line where the guy was going hard core.
    Made me dump my knife and multi tool (kudos to my youngest for choosing our hiding place, was still there when we came out).
    But definitely would've had to make a trek back to the car, and would've been late on top of had angry kids.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I don't think it's worth the risk to just carry on in the hopes that they won't notice.

What if you were there, with the kids, disarmed, and this happened?

...“This did not happen inside the Convention Center nor did it happen inside the stadium, but we do have information that leads us to believe that the suspect did go inside the Convention Center,” said IMPD Public Information Officer William Young Monday night.

Surveillance video from the Convention Center later showed the suspect entering the building and then leaving it. Then, he was unable to get back inside.

The Convention Center and other businesses in the area were placed on a brief lockdown.

Police blocked several streets in the area, including South, Capitol, Missouri and Maryland streets. Shortly after midnight, only South Street remained closed, between Capitol Avenue and Missouri Street.

“We do not have a suspect in custody at this time. If you have information, please reach out to our homicide investigators,” said Young.

The Marion County Coroner’s Office has identified the person who was killed as 35-year-old Donnie Lee Sanders.

If you have any information, you can call IMPD or Crimestoppers (317-262-TIPS)...

Top Bottom