• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shotbyspike

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Sellersburg
    I just bought myself a Ruger sp101 today and was wondering if I can, or should maybe, shoot 9mm with moon clips?

Hope this isn't too much of a noob question :dunno:, but it is my first revolver.:draw:

repair

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I just bought myself a Ruger sp101 today and was wondering if I can, or should maybe, shoot 9mm with moon clips?

Hope this isn't too much of a noob question :dunno:, but it is my first revolver.:draw:

I had never heard of "moon clips", after doing a google search it looks like it may a type of speed loader.

Am I right?

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    You might be able to do it, but you'd need to get the face of the cylinder machined to accept the moonclips. You'd then be able to use .357 and .38 special with moonclips even if you couldn't use 9mm.

Remember that while the 9mm and .357 bullets are almost the same diameter (.355 vs. .357 nominal diameter), the cases are different. The 9mm is a tapered case, whereas the .357 is a straight wall.

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    I would not recommend trying it ...if you want the ability to load your revolver faster you can buy speedloaders for it in .38 and .357

Ruger did make a revolver that you could feed 9 mm it was a blackhawk .357 convertable with a 9mm cylinder ..

but i wouldn't try it in anything else simply for the saftey ..

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Rhino and dice dealer are correct. You do not want to try to load and fire 9 mm in a SP 101 chambered in .357. Get some speedloaders and practice. A revolver cylinder has to be machined to accept full moon clips.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    In the 90's, the SP101 was offered in 9mm. It bombed, they stopped making it.

The others are right on. 38 or 357 for your SP101. Speed strips or speed loaders if you want.

shotbyspike

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Sellersburg
    BTW, for those of you who live across the river from Louisville, 111 Gun Shop is a great place to shop. Much better prices than Kieslers or Bass Pro.

Top Bottom