• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    I went to Meijer today for a new pair of work gloves and had to stop by the fishing section. Was looking through the camping stuff and notice they had 2 in stock. They were priced at $29.99 which is close to what I find online.

Any input from INGO? I've been considering a Mora for a while now and this fits the bill. Is the quality there compared to other Mora knives?

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I have several Mora Knives, one in each vehicle and one in my go bag. Mora is a company name, not just a style of knive and the Mora Knife company does make an excellent knife for the money. Karesuando Knives are also from Sweden and a bit higher in price but rather than molded handles they are wood or stacked birch bark. The Finnish knives are also well made especially those from Helle.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Mora Light My Fire knives at all.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I have found these at Sierra Trading Post for ~$16, and the companion for ~$10, IIRC. There's shipping involved (unless you get up to a certain threshold), but I buy a lot of my outdoor gear from them and always hit the threshold for free/reduced shipping. Sign up for their newsletter, and wait for the deals to come to you. It seems there's at least one going on, just have to find out which coupon code gives you the best deal.

Or, you could shop locally with Knife Lady, I believe she is competitive with STP.

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    I actually bought one. Over all, I like it but it wasn't sharp at all. I was actually surprised as all the reviews I have read talk about how sharp they are and how well they hold an edge.

I'll put it to the stones and see how it turns out but my first impression wasn't a great one.

Could it be that Meijer is selling seconds or something?

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    FWIW, $30 plus tax seems steep to me for a Mora. I don't follow them, but I always seem to associate them with $10-20 price ranges for whatever reason.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    FWIW, $30 plus tax seems steep to me for a Mora. I don't follow them, but I always seem to associate them with $10-20 price ranges for whatever reason.

The version in question includes a ferrocerium rod that fits into the handle and it's one of the models with a slightly thicker blade.

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    I'd just go with Knife Lady for a Mora, she's got 'em and will take great care of you.

I have purchased one knife from her already and plan on more. Truth is, this was a spur of the moment purchase. I saw them one day, did a little research but then had to go back for something uh related. I saw it and decided to go ahead. I had my reservations but pulled the trigger.

As for the sharpness, a few minutes on the stones and strope and she's razor sharp.

As Rhino said, it also has the rod built into the hilt. I looked them up online and Meijer was in the right ball park.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I see, thank you for the clarification. Have you accidentally injured yourself with the ferro rod?

I have never met Rhino and outside of this thread, I don't believe we have had any communication. However, based on comments in multiple threads on this site, I would say that he has. :D

Fortunately, he said "the" ferro rod, suggesting the rod that comes with the Mora knife. I don't have one (yet), so the answer is no!

Now, had he asked, "Have you injured yourself with a ferro rod yet?" we'd have to define "injured" and whether not the injury must be a direct result from the rod, or if burns from the ensuing out of control fire count as well.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    How well do the Light My Fire Moras strike the ferro rod sparks?
    I have a couple of Moras and they are difficult to make a decent spark with, even when they have a sharp 90 degree back.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    How well do the Light My Fire Moras strike the ferro rod sparks?
    I have a couple of Moras and they are difficult to make a decent spark with, even when they have a sharp 90 degree back.

Good question!

I did check one of my Moras (non-Light My Fire) yesterday and it made sparks with a ferro rod without any problem.

Top Bottom