• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    Let me get this straight, you have admitted that you are price gouging because the market is ripe for it. You have admitted you made a substantial profit from this transaction. You have admitted you made a mathematical mistake because you were too lazy to double check your math until after the transaction was complete.

Now you somehow believe it is the buyers fault for not correcting your error and feeding your greed?

So your buyer drove a considerable distance to purchase your overpriced stuff. Did he agree to the purchase based on the price you quoted him? If so why do you think he should give you additional money just because you made a mistake? Was he willing initially to pay full price for your stuff?

Yes, yes, and yes. Op attempted to royally price gouge another member, his plan was foiled by simple math. Then wants to question one's morals. That pretty much sums it up.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    So your feedback would say: Bad buyer, paid me exactly what I told him to pay.

Time to just move along. The buyer owes the seller nothing but a thank you.

Karma has a way of doing that to a guy from time to time.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Yes, yes, and yes. Op attempted to royally price gouge another member, his plan was foiled by simple math. Then wants to question one's morals. That pretty much sums it up.

It's not price gouging if one freely agrees to pay a price for a non-essential commodity...

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Let me get this straight, you have admitted that you are price gouging because the market is ripe for it. You have admitted you made a substantial profit from this transaction. You have admitted you made a mathematical mistake because you were too lazy to double check your math until after the transaction was complete.

Now you somehow believe it is the buyers fault for not correcting your error and feeding your greed?

So your buyer drove a considerable distance to purchase your overpriced stuff. Did he agree to the purchase based on the price you quoted him? If so why do you think he should give you additional money just because you made a mistake? Was he willing initially to pay full price for your stuff?
    He was not price gouging. Yes he was willing to pay the original price.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    op was not price gouging. would anyone look down on him for unloading stocks that went through the roof, or selling a house for a hefty profit before the bubble burst? i currently have a supply of thin mint cookies- if they for some reason start selling for $10/box, how is it wrong of me to sell some of my supply to take advantage of market forces?

having said that, i feel it's not the buyer's fault for paying the price he was quoted, and then confirmed at the meet-up. it's not the buyer's job to question either the seller's math or his motives.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I don't think I was price gouging. I said that the price is ridiculous, which is the only reason I decided to let go of some of my private ammo collection. I wouldn't have listed otherwise. I said I didn't want to sell at all, but if you want to pay this price, then you are basically twisting my arm. I said I had no interest in making any concessions on price. All this is blatantly listed in the ad, which is what makes it clear that buyer knew there was a big mistake and moved quickly to capitalize on it. A lot of people seem to be overlooking this or thinking it is irrelevant. Oh, and $100 off a $320 order is not a normal private "discount", especially being aware of the above facts

I guess you could call it karma. Sellers just be aware that these high prices can come with strings attached. Buyers will dispense with all ethics and do anything they can to pay less.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    IF the seller was justified charging "whatever the market will bear" for his ammunition, and I'm not saying he wasn't,
    then neither HE NOR ANYONE ELSE has any reason to complain when gasoline prices go up during a holiday weekend.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    IF the seller was justified charging "whatever the market will bear" for his ammunition, and I'm not saying he wasn't,
    then neither HE NOR ANYONE ELSE has any reason to complain when gasoline prices go up during a holiday weekend.

Using that logic, would you rather pay more for gas, or have NO gas?

Also, gas is a necessity, ammo is a want. Buyer could buy ammo elsewhere or gone without if he didn't like the price, but he sought me out.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Using that logic, would you rather pay more for gas, or have NO gas?

Price of gasoline, like price of ammunition, is set by supply and demand.

Right now the demand for ammunition FAR exceeds the supply; hence "crazy" prices.

Over a holiday weekend, demand increases because more people are driving more; hence, prices go up and gas stations make more money.

All I'm saying is, "Don't complain when the gas stations do what you did."

Mos Eisley

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Buyers will dispense with all ethics and do anything they can to pay less.

He gave you what you asked for. Buyers are not expected to be mind readers. Perhaps he thought that you had a change of heart with your initial ridiculous pricing.

This isn't an ethics lesson. It is, at most, a math lesson. And perhaps a lesson on responsibility.

:twocents: <--- That is 2 cents, not 3. :):

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    He gave you what you asked for. Buyers are not expected to be mind readers. Perhaps he thought that you had a change of heart with your initial ridiculous pricing.

This isn't an ethics lesson. It is, at most, a math lesson. And perhaps a lesson on responsibility.

:twocents: <--- That is 2 cents, not 3. :):

Yep, a hundred dollar change of heart for no reason, it makes perfect sense. I must've saw that he lived far away and felt sorry so I offered $50 for gas (way too high) and another $50 just because I liked him (a stranger). Yea, that is realistic.

Yes, I was a dumbass for making a quick response at 8am while half asleep and then again for not double checking because I was out driving around with my family. I am guilty of that.

I'll tell you something though. I am done brewing over this, but I will never sell outside the metro area again. Nor will I sell to anyone with less than 250 posts. These 'hit and run' types are not worth the hassle.

Joe G

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    SE Indiana
    He doesn't deserve bad rep for your math error, that's kinda ridiculous. You made the mistake not him. If it were me I would live up to my agreement and take it as a lesson to double check my math before I respond. All in all though it is up to you, but if you say no go IMHO you would deserve the bad rep for breaking off the deal.

:+1:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    If I were to list any ammo here, I'd price it at the pretty high end of the market. Any complainers or those low balling would be ignored. If anybody took my offer, I'd then secretly let them have it at old or almost old prices. Would be a great way to weed out the whiners and the entitled.

Joe G

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    SE Indiana
    It isn't getting worked out. I screwed up, and I got played. You win some you lose some, I get that. But to me this is a matter of principal. I still made a significant profit, but only because prices are now 200% original cost. As for whether he did it intentionally, well, you be the judge. I thought my intentions were clear, crystal clear. That's why I am upset. If I put OBO or something, then I'd not have said a word.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...7732-22lr_federal_bulk_and_cci_mini_mags.html

"I got played"??

Oh pa-lease!

He asked, you admitted, multiple times for you to confirm that price. You did and only realized YOUR mistake AFTER the sale, then make HIM the bad guy?

:nopity:

Joe G

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    SE Indiana
    I don't see why you are upset with anyone but yourself, and your attempt to to make this the buyer's fault by ascribing some nefarious motives to him just seems petulant to me.

By your own admission the buyer did not ask for a discount. You offered it. Mistake or not, you offered the lower price, he accepted your offer, and you completed the exchange. Now you want backsies?! Sorry, but you aren't playing tag in the backyard. You made a business deal that turned out to be bad for you. Too bad. Seller's remorse is not a valid reason to renege on a completed contract any more than buyer's remorse would be.

Now, if you had caught your mistake before completing the exchange, the situation would be different.

Anyway, IMHO, you did not get "played". You made a $100 mistake. The buyer did nothing wrong.

--Bill
    icon_goodpost.gif

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Even though you know what the price listed is firm, you let the seller know you live kinda far away, in hopes of perhaps some bit of leniency to make up for gas. Worth a shot right? You betcha.

To your surprise, the seller says he can sell for exactly $100 less than the price in the listing--almost a full 30% discount!

To me this says it all. The guy asked for consideration, you replied with a discounted price. Why should he question your motives? I think the average Joe would think the discount was intended as well.

How many times is a firm price really a firm price? Especially if the seller freely admits the price is ridiculously inflated.

Boonl1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Indy
    I didn't read all the responses and hope I'm not duplicating. This is a law school exam question.

A contract is a meeting of the minds. Generally, a mistake is a valid ground for recission of a contract because no meeting of the minds occurred. But, if you had "reasonably" relied on the offer and travelled a long distance to pick up the item, then it may be irrevocable. But because the discount was so large, the "reasonableness" of your reliance is the issue.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom