• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    You can donate it to me.....for testing.....that way you're not selling it but still getting rid of it.

If that doesn't work for you, I'd sell it. Market has highs and lows, just like stocks or anything else. If you're not attached to it sell if when you can. You're not making someone buy it, it's their choice.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Sort of a derailment here (sorry Indy Gunworks), what would the law be when this ban passes? Would it not just be a new law banning the production of and selling of NEW bump stocks? Would one be a potential felon if “caught” with a now newly designated NFA item? Even if you were the original owner or purchased before the ban took effect? Selling of an old one after the stock has been NFA’d I could see as a illegal action, but what about being in possession of one, without the stamp to prove legality? Shall we expect some door to door search teams looking for those dastardly dangerous stocks that kill people on their own? Or maybe a drop off bin in front of the local mart...

Sell it if you don’t like it. If you’re worried about what people around you will think of you for selling a perfectly legal item at a reasonable price then the original question isn’t the true problem. IMO. Of course.

IF it did come down to this ^^^^, it's anyone's guess how it would play out. After the National Firearms Act or 1934 (that banned machine gun sales to civilians) there was an amnesty period. Civilians in possession of a machine gun could register them with the NFA. The NFA of 1968 made it impossible for a civilian to register a machine gun. (Only .gov, military and police after that)
    I don't see it coming to this point, however. The BATF has already ruled and reviewed these stocks a few times, over a period of many years.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    IF it did come down to this ^^^^, it's anyone's guess how it would play out. After the National Firearms Act or 1934 (that banned machine gun sales to civilians) there was an amnesty period. Civilians in possession of a machine gun could register them with the NFA. The NFA of 1968 made it impossible for a civilian to register a machine gun. (Only .gov, military and police after that)
    I don't see it coming to this point, however. The BATF has already ruled and reviewed these stocks a few times, over a period of many years.

The NFA of 1934 regulated machine guns, not banned them, instituted a $200 tax/transfer fee on machine gun purchases

The gun control act of 1968 didn't do anything regarding NFA items....to my knowledge.

The Hughes Amendment of 1986 froze the full auto market for civilians......manuf. were still free to make them but they were for government or LE only

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Oh . . . .My bad. I thought you said Echo Trimmer and just spent 2 hours on the internet trying to make sense of the thread.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I have had an echo trigger for about 6 months now, and I don't really care for it. Never have, and have been considering selling it damn near since the first time I shot it. Now I am pretty sure in a normal market I would loose money on the deal, or at best break even. However these types of things seem to be approaching the unavailable level, and possibly even approaching where they may not even be legal, and therefore I would loose ALL of my money. This brought up a conversation between me and a coworker. He says its bull**** that I would capitalize on a tragedy. I said I am capitalizing on a fearful market, not the tragedy. I am not even sure I want to sell it at this point, but the appeal of making some quick easy profit on something I don't really want, is appealing. Someone out there wants the trigger more than their money, and I want their money more than the trigger.

What does ingo say? Moral or immoral? Is it really "gouging" if the person is ready and willing for fork over the cash?

Cash out. By definition, the buyer wouldn't buy if he didn't feel he would rather have the item than the money.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    The NFA of 1934 regulated machine guns, not banned them, instituted a $200 tax/transfer fee on machine gun purchases

The gun control act of 1968 didn't do anything regarding NFA items....to my knowledge.

The Hughes Amendment of 1986 froze the full auto market for civilians......manuf. were still free to make them but they were for government or LE only

Correct, the GCA of 1968 is what gave us the FFL system.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I have had an echo trigger for about 6 months now, and I don't really care for it. Never have, and have been considering selling it damn near since the first time I shot it. Now I am pretty sure in a normal market I would loose money on the deal, or at best break even. However these types of things seem to be approaching the unavailable level, and possibly even approaching where they may not even be legal, and therefore I would loose ALL of my money. This brought up a conversation between me and a coworker. He says its bull**** that I would capitalize on a tragedy. I said I am capitalizing on a fearful market, not the tragedy. I am not even sure I want to sell it at this point, but the appeal of making some quick easy profit on something I don't really want, is appealing. Someone out there wants the trigger more than their money, and I want their money more than the trigger.

What does ingo say? Moral or immoral? Is it really "gouging" if the person is ready and willing for fork over the cash?

Selling it for what the market will pay is not immoral.

maansmit

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    Greenfield
    I thought about listing my bump fire stock just because I never use it and have found it to be rather temperamental in operation. Although I can't really see asking more than original MSRP for it.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I think the morality issue arises in the context of greed.

Asking a modest (or even gratuitous) profit for the fruit of one's labor is moral.

Setting a price that is unrelated to labor is speculating. Even then, taking on the risk that the market for a product would rise or fall has some value. Taking a modest (or gratuitous) profit for that risk is moral.

Asking 6x the cost of acquisition, when there was no reasonable expectation of a profit on the secondary market, let alone a modest profit, but due to the actions of evil that 6x becomes the demand-level of the market is... I'm not sure what the exact right word is, but immoral seems pretty darn close. Unseemly, at least.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I think the morality issue arises in the context of greed.

Asking a modest (or even gratuitous) profit for the fruit of one's labor is moral.

Setting a price that is unrelated to labor is speculating. Even then, taking on the risk that the market for a product would rise or fall has some value. Taking a modest (or gratuitous) profit for that risk is moral.

Asking 6x the cost of acquisition, when there was no reasonable expectation of a profit on the secondary market, let alone a modest profit, but due to the actions of evil that 6x becomes the demand-level of the market is... I'm not sure what the exact right word is, but immoral seems pretty darn close. Unseemly, at least.

Say you buy a couple of AR15s for $900 each. One for you, one for your wife, because you think it would make an awesome anniversary gift. It’s a really nice AR. The very next day some ******* shoots up a school. Next thing you know everyone is calling for bans on “assault rifles”.

A week later you see ARs are selling out everywhere. Everything is selling out. Ammo. Mags. Guns. The ARs in the classified or gun broker are going >$2000. You see some adds for your make/model for $2500. You think, wow. Glad I bought mine when I did.

so your anniversary comes around and your wife actually yells at you for buying her a rifle, and that hou better sell it and get her what she really wants.

Do you sell it for what you have in it or do you sell it for the going price? What if the going price is 5x what you paid?

Everything is worth what people are willing to pay. When is it immoral to sell something at the price people are willing to pay? I think there are times when it is immoral. But not usually.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Say you buy a couple of AR15s for $900 each. One for you, one for your wife, because you think it would make an awesome anniversary gift. It’s a really nice AR. The very next day some ******* shoots up a school. Next thing you know everyone is calling for bans on “assault rifles”.

A week later you see ARs are selling out everywhere. Everything is selling out. Ammo. Mags. Guns. The ARs in the classified or gun broker are going >$2000. You see some adds for your make/model for $2500. You think, wow. Glad I bought mine when I did.

so your anniversary comes around and your wife actually yells at you for buying her a rifle, and that hou better sell it and get her what she really wants.

Do you sell it for what you have in it or do you sell it for the going price? What if the going price is 5x what you paid?

Everything is worth what people are willing to pay. When is it immoral to sell something at the price people are willing to pay? I think there are times when it is immoral. But not usually.

Pretty much. I bought my first AR just months after Sandy Hook. Easily a $700 AR, I paid around $1200 for. I don't regret it. Who knows what could have happened then.

Top Bottom