• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Is there a good rail that mounts above the AK to mount a red dot? I would prefer one that the red dot is forward of the receiver. I do not reject any good suggestion. I do not like using a scope.

flnt38

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    get an ultimak rail that replaces your gas tube an mount your red dot on it. cheap and easy.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I would second the Ultimak. Only thing I would caution is it gets really hot. If you plan to run it hard with a cheap optic on it, it might cook. The other option you have (pending if your rifle is equipped) is utilizing the mount on the left side of the receiver, and mount something off of it. This is might be the better option pending what optic you use, as it does not get hot.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    If you want an "authentic" ak look, and the best function... go with a PK-01V from Kalinka. They're solid like a freakin mac truck and they're the real deal. Mounts off the side rail.

I'm not kidding when I say SOLID either... it's easily as sturdy if not more sturdy than my Aimpoint M series optics. They offer a full cowitness too!

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    [h=1]UTG 5th Gen Quick Detachable Double Rail AK Side Mount[/h]
    61y6IngoSML._SL1500_.jpg

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Is there a good rail that mounts above the AK to mount a red dot? I would prefer one that the red dot is forward of the receiver. I do not reject any good suggestion. I do not like using a scope.

get an ultimak rail that replaces your gas tube an mount your red dot on it. cheap and easy.

+1 - I run the Ultimak with a Bushnell TRS-25. Works well for me. You can get a lower cowitness with the iron sights. I've gotten mine very hot a number of times and the red dot has not had a problem so far.
    Here is a decent Youtube review of this setup. He mentions the red dot heat issues of this set up (he's not had a problem) and also mentions how the heat may make you adjust your grip.
    AK Ultimak Rail & Bushnell TRS 25 HD Review - YouTube

NOTE: not my AK
    Bushnell on Ultimak.jpg

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    A BP-02 will mount to the left side rail and is lower to the bore and centered. That's the official answer to the problem.

Do this ^

If you want an "authentic" ak look, and the best function... go with a PK-01V from Kalinka. They're solid like a freakin mac truck and they're the real deal. Mounts off the side rail.
    I'm not kidding when I say SOLID either... it's easily as sturdy if not more sturdy than my Aimpoint M series optics. They offer a full cowitness too!

Same mount as mentioned above, but comes with a Belarus red dot. Nice setup, love mine.

I wouldn't recommend this ^. For just a little more money, you can have one that was built as tough as the rifle your mounting it on, and isn't from some bottom of the barrel Chi-Com company.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    +1 - I run the Ultimak with a Bushnell TRS-25. Works well for me. You can get a lower cowitness with the iron sights. I've gotten mine very hot a number of times and the red dot has not had a problem so far.
    Here is a decent Youtube review of this setup. He mentions the red dot heat issues of this set up (he's not had a problem) and also mentions how the heat may make you adjust your grip.
    AK Ultimak Rail & Bushnell TRS 25 HD Review - YouTube

NOTE: not my AK
    View attachment 27890

Thanks for hi-lighting that so we're all clear... but he also stated that he wouldn't reject a good suggestion, believe you skipped over hi-lighting that. IMO and any AK variant purists' opinion, utilizing the side mount rail is a good suggestion, especially when matched up with a real duty optic that offers full co-witness.

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Spalding: sorry if I hit a nerve, but that was not my intent. It was not directed at you or other suggestions at all. It was my attempt to point out to the OP that my response was relative to the highlighted portion of his original post. That's it. No malice intended.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    What's the reasoning for mounting a dot so far out on the rifle? I would think ergonomics and accuracy dictate mounting near the eye. I've never seen a military application that has the sight above the gas tube.

Now the Ultimak is probably a great solution if your receiver doesn't have an optics rail.

Oh, how do I have mine mounted? Stock Polish rail.
    attachment.php

Ljungman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Lake Superior
    My suggestion doesnt place the optic forward of the receiver but does place it on the top cover. Parabellum armaments makes the AKARS replcement top cover. Very well machined and fits tight. Its adjustable to fit any model or variant of the AK and puts it low to the receiver where the side mount sits the optics up high. Ive run the AKARS and love it. It also allows you to keep your optic off of the hottest area of the gun to save the live of your optic from being shortened by searing heat. Just my 2 cents.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Spalding: sorry if I hit a nerve, but that was not my intent. It was not directed at you or other suggestions at all. It was my attempt to point out to the OP that my response was relative to the highlighted portion of his original post. That's it. No malice intended.

lol naw man. Nothing really offends me on this board lol. Gotta take everything with a grain of salt. Theres a lot of curmudgeon old hoots here ;) that will occasionally say something offensive (and mean it), but no use in arguing!

I was just giving ya a hard time brotha.

Sarcasm is lost in the realm of this typing age haha.

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    I have looked at several mounting systems and for several reason I lean toward the Ultimak, in simplicity and ability to co-witness. RS Regulate is new info. to me so Clay show/tell us more why you like this setup. Does it co-witness? I am not comfortable with mounts that attach to or replace the top cover(TWS) because that is a weak leak that already performs as intended. Also I am not familar with the quality of side rail mounts, yet.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    RS Regulate has been around for a couple of years now. It will co-witness, depending on the optic and in my experience it will co-witness with anything that the ultimak will.

case in point: Both RS and Ultimak mounts will co-witness with a T1 micro, but not very well with a Primary Arms micro. It all depends on where the immitter is on the unit and the PA is in the way for a good co-witness.

the RS side mount is very rugged, and will hold zero after being removed and re-installed. My issue with the ultimak is 2 fold: 1) it gets HOT, eventually I think that will be detrimental to an optic, it will take a while but that can't be ideal. 2) my main gripe, when used on anything shooting corrosive ammo if you remove it you loose your zero. You don't have to remove it, but I dont like leaving it on when Im cleaning after shooting corrosive.

just do a search for the RS Regulate product reviews. Lots of stuff out there that isn't on INGO.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Thank You!

RS Regulate has been around for a couple of years now. It will co-witness, depending on the optic and in my experience it will co-witness with anything that the ultimak will.

case in point: Both RS and Ultimak mounts will co-witness with a T1 micro, but not very well with a Primary Arms micro. It all depends on where the immitter is on the unit and the PA is in the way for a good co-witness.

the RS side mount is very rugged, and will hold zero after being removed and re-installed. My issue with the ultimak is 2 fold: 1) it gets HOT, eventually I think that will be detrimental to an optic, it will take a while but that can't be ideal. 2) my main gripe, when used on anything shooting corrosive ammo if you remove it you loose your zero. You don't have to remove it, but I dont like leaving it on when Im cleaning after shooting corrosive.

just do a search for the RS Regulate product reviews. Lots of stuff out there that isn't on INGO.

Thank You everyone for the suggestions.

Top Bottom