• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    What are opinions on Noreen Billet aluminum recievers? Stopped in Gander mtn with my brother and they have them on sale for $89. I know based on my racing experience billet is a higher quality aluminum.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    You mean billet is better than cast. Forged lowers are stronger than billet. Typically, after you drop a forging hammer on it, its stronger material.

What are opinions on Noreen Billet aluminum recievers? Stopped in Gander mtn with my brother and they have them on sale for $89. I know based on my racing experience billet is a higher quality aluminum.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Billet sucks money, but nothing else. Buy a Mil-Spec lower, put in Mil-spec(at a minimum) parts, and return for more info!

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Anyone who can program a CNC can turn out a decent lower. What you are paying for with the more expensive ones are quality control steps, attention to detail and higher quality coatings and exotic materials. This goes for gun parts as it does for race car parts. That Autozone part may get you to the end of the track but that custom one off race shop part may get you to the end of the track a tenth faster. Is it worth it to you to pay the difference?

I have $49 Palmetto State lowers, I have Noveske matched upper lower. I like them all but they have differences.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Ok I have had several recommendations for PSA, is there a shop local that keeps their stuff in stock? If not is there anything special I would need to order one online? Since it would have to be sent an FFL?

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    Ok so I am in Indy, anyone have any recommendations on LGS with a variety of lowers in stock to select from?
    Also, a few years ago I had the old school (A1 style?) carry handle upper receiver removed from my Oly and replaced it with a Bravo Co complete flat top upper with M4 feed ramps. Is something like that what I should be looking for as an upper receiver?

Depending on where you are at in Indy, check out US Defense Solutions. They are on the south side and usually have a good selection of parts. Another good shop is Bradis.

BCM makes a quality product. You would do well using their parts.

Ok I have had several recommendations for PSA, is there a shop local that keeps their stuff in stock? If not is there anything special I would need to order one online? Since it would have to be sent an FFL?

dont know of any shop that stocks PSA parts. same process as purchasing other gun stuff from the internet. Anything that isn't a firearm (doesn't include a Lower for ARs) can go to your house. Firearms must ship to a FFL.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Stop by Elmore's. If you're looking for higher end quality AR stuff, they will have it. Talk to Jason, as he is very knowledgeable on the AR platform. I've been to every shop in the Indy AR concerning ARs and they have the best stuff IMHO.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Depending on where you are at in Indy, check out US Defense Solutions. They are on the south side and usually have a good selection of parts. Another good shop is Bradis.

BCM makes a quality product. You would do well using their parts.

dont know of any shop that stocks PSA parts. same process as purchasing other gun stuff from the internet. Anything that isn't a firearm (doesn't include a Lower for ARs) can go to your house. Firearms must ship to a FFL.
    most shopsmdo not like PSA, they undercut their prices and take away local business.
    Also be careful with PSA as not all of their parts are created equal.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I'd check out Plainfield shooting supplies and beech grove firearms too. Both also have huge selections of AR
    parts and lowers

I second the plainfield recommendation. They had a large selection. I did not necessarily feel welcome to look at too much from inside the parts counter tho. Maybe the guy had to go to the bathroom or something... I still recommend them for a good place to get your hands on a lot of the gear you see on the interwebz for not much more.

I don't know if i'll get flamed, but I really liked the staff at indy trading post they seem to take the time and talk options rather than tap their toes and rush. Plus they have housebrand lowers that are marked Indianapolis Indiana which is pretty cool.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I second the plainfield recommendation. They had a large selection. I did not necessarily feel welcome to look at too much from inside the parts counter tho. Maybe the guy had to go to the bathroom or something... I still recommend them for a good place to get your hands on a lot of the gear you see on the interwebz for not much more.

I don't know if i'll get flamed, but I really liked the staff at indy trading post they seem to take the time and talk options rather than tap their toes and rush. Plus they have housebrand lowers that are marked Indianapolis Indiana which is pretty cool.
    yep I forgot itp. They are good too. The owner has really changed things around for the best.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I personally buy Spikes Tactical. No real reason, just a preference.

I also own a BCI Defense (thanks to VUPDBlue and his group buys :D).

I also own one Aero Precision. Solely for the fact of I wanted to buy something else, they didn't have it, so they cut me a deal on an Aero. This is going to be a budget M4 clone.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I plan to hit BG firearms, Elmore's, Indy Trading Post and maybe US defense. Plainfield hasn't been on my radar in several years. Only been there once, and it wasn't a good experience. I would buy from one of the big box stores before them.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I plan to hit BG firearms, Elmore's, Indy Trading Post and maybe US defense. Plainfield hasn't been on my radar in several years. Only been there once, and it wasn't a good experience. I would buy from one of the big box stores before them.
    plainfield has a brand new and huge shop now. But I understand not going somewhere if you had a bad experience.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Elmore's was way down on AR parts last time in there. USDS and PSS had the most to pick from.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Over the years I have built many ARs with lowers from many different companies (Seekins, Spikes, YHM, Anderson, Etc). I normally buy spikes now, just because they seemed to be the best priced for the most consistent quality. That said, I dont care about finish as much as others, as I am not building safe queens. I have scratched all my lowers during training classes, it rubs on gear, ground, barricades, etc. I dont purposely abuse my rifles, but if an lower has a tool mark on it (anderson) I dont care, as it will get a scratch or some other blemish eventually.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas

Of those listed, my go-to's are USDS and BGF. Great people in both of those listed. Never been in ITP so nothing personal, and did not have a pleasant experience at Elmore's.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Over the years I have built many ARs with lowers from many different companies (Seekins, Spikes, YHM, Anderson, Etc). I normally buy spikes now, just because they seemed to be the best priced for the most consistent quality. That said, I dont care about finish as much as others, as I am not building safe queens. I have scratched all my lowers during training classes, it rubs on gear, ground, barricades, etc. I dont purposely abuse my rifles, but if an lower has a tool mark on it (anderson) I dont care, as it will get a scratch or some other blemish eventually.
    :+1: If i'm gonna put out the extra coin for a high dollar lower then a blemish might be a bigger deal but I'm not really into shelling out the big coin for just a lower so i'm not so hung up by an occasional blemish. I'm more about function over style anyway.

Top Bottom