• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    I think most of the FBI's databases have always relied on voluntary submission of data by local LE, so they are all suspect but I don't get this one:

"The FBI listed the incident as having been stopped by a security guard, even though the parishioner who fatally shot the suspect had simply volunteered to provide security and was not a professional"

That is one of the prime examples they could come up with?

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I think most of the FBI's databases have always relied on voluntary submission of data by local LE, so they are all suspect but I don't get this one:

"The FBI listed the incident as having been stopped by a security guard, even though the parishioner who fatally shot the suspect had simply volunteered to provide security and was not a professional"

That is one of the prime examples they could come up with?
    You don't think that example in and of itself shows bias?

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    The FBI, pretty much from their second inception, has been a politicized (and often weaponized) investigative body loyal to the powers that be in DC as opposed to an organization dedicated to preserving the Constitutional freedoms of the citizenry. Only recently have the common folks' eyes begun to be opened to this fact.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The FBI, pretty much from their second inception, has been a politicized (and often weaponized) investigative body loyal to the powers that be in DC as opposed to an organization dedicated to preserving the Constitutional freedoms of the citizenry. Only recently have the common folks' eyes begun to be opened to this fact.
    While I mostly agree, they have not been loyal republicans Presidents in decades…

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The FBI is just a clearing house. The data comes from the submitting departments, and drill down and it's actually submitted by individual officers. Our current software is mostly drop down boxes, but information may not be known at the time of the initial report. We have an office that is supposed to make sure reports are in compliance, but in compliance doesn't always mean correct. GIGO theory applies.

Additionally, not all departments report. It's actually a fairly burdensome process and smaller departments have little incentive to participate nor do they have the manpower to check compliance and accuracy in reporting.

The FBI listed the incident as having been stopped by a security guard, even though the parishioner who fatally shot the suspect had simply volunteered to provide security and was not a professional, according to the report.

Um, ok. I don't think "do you get paid to be a guard" is part of UCR/NIBRS, but I guess you can be outraged if you squint hard enough. Either way it's a private citizen.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    A basic recap for those with little time to read through it:

The FBI statistics indicate that armed citizens thwart only 4.4% of active/mass shooters.

This study indicates it is 34.4% because the FBI massively under counts active shooter stopped by civilians situations.

When looking at when the shooting occurs in places when concealed carry is allowed (i,e, not GFZs) that percentage rises to above 50% in each of the last seven years, averaging 51%.

(using math, it looks like for GFZ, or that the study could not determine whether guns were allowed, that drops to 12.8%)

Here's the study site:

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Top Bottom