• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pete-FWA

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Went to a local firearms store in Fort Wayne this afternoon

Can't remember the last time I went into a store that busy. This rivaled Christmas season shopping. The only other places I generally see that busy are doctors offices and hospitals. There were people covering almost every inch of counter space and the parking lot was completely full.

I browsed their selection. Seemed about half of the display items were used. I did see quite a few "FN" handguns. Not a brand I've heard anything about.

I heard some activity in the range as well, but didn't go out there.

Never talked to any of the counter people since they were all busy and seemed to be in a hurry.

The most memorable piece was a huge revolver, a stainless steel Colt Anaconda in 44 Magnum with 6" barrel.

TraderJack

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    That's good news. I'm always glad to see gun shops doing a good business. Heck, maybe I should open one???:):

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    The Valpo show was the same way. Lines out the door. I have never seen that before. It might be the current political situation.

Pete-FWA

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Went back to H & H this afternoon

Spoke at length with a gentleman behind the counter who showed me some of their inventory. Yes, this means I'm definitely looking for something else for myself.

We spent the vast majority of time on polymer pistols.

His take was that these were ready to fire faster than a 1911-style gun unless it's carried in cocked and locked position.

His next comment was something I'd not heard before; that is, polymers are more lawsuit friendly than 1911-style guns. He said that a person carrying a 1911 in "cocked and locked" position may appear to be premeditating a shooting.

Also, he supported the polymers as being more reliable (fewer FTFs) and longer lasting than metal 1911s.

TraderJack

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    That is a very old argument. And right or wrong, many LEOs have had to give up their trusted 1911s for a piece of 'tupperware' that was DAO.
    It's part of the society we live in now.

As for me, I carry for the safety and security of myself and my loved ones. I want to be able to trust that my weapon will operate flawlessly when called upon to do so. I don't have a Chief or Mayor that insists I carry a DAO weapon, so I carry what I trust, my 1911 Colt. Cocked, Locked and Loaded.

You need to make that decision for yourself.
    :cheers:

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    I don't know if "busy" at the gunshows is something I want or not, actually it's a "not."

That just means overinflated prices will be ridiculous through the summer and just go up.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    I used to visit H&H until an incident I had there a few years ago.

I was in the market for a Hi-Power and went there to look at them. They had a nice Practical there and I asked to see it. The surly counter monkey handed it to me and told me not to rack the slide on the gun. I looked at him funny and asked him if he said what I really thought he said, then asked if it was ok to dry fire it. He looked at me like I just gave birth to a wombat out of my nose!

Needless to say I got myself a really nice Hi-Power that afternoon. From a different store.

karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    Gun Dealers are doing a lot of business.
    I've done more business in the first 4 months of this year than all of last year.

Lots of people are panic buying, bad economy, election, etc.

AK's and AR's are in short supply as are lots of other firearms.

Seems like Y2K all over.

Top Bottom