More likely culprit, my gun or the ammo?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    Could be weak springs, could be too much headspace, could be out of spec firing pin. I don't think it's the ammo if it shoots ok out of your dad's 640. Did you buy the Kimber new or was it used? Any work done to it that you know of, or are you sure it's completely stock?
    I bought it new so I’m sure it’s stock. It was a little discouraging when his 640 ran it, but that was a small sample size and at least 175 of the 195 rounds through my Kimber fired as they should. I still have a few hundred rounds of it so I’ll probably take one of my J frames, the Kimber, and a Colt and see what happens when I put 100 through each.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I bought it new so I’m sure it’s stock. It was a little discouraging when his 640 ran it, but that was a small sample size and at least 175 of the 195 rounds through my Kimber fired as they should. I still have a few hundred rounds of it so I’ll probably take one of my J frames, the Kimber, and a Colt and see what happens when I put 100 through each.
    Yep. I'd definitely try some different ammo in your Kimber, and that hard to ignite ammo in some different guns before you get too carried away. I had a bad first outing with my 640 because I took .38spc ammo loaded with small rifle magnum primers that I found at Dunham's (I'm very much over this covid induced shortage stupidity!) And it was only setting them off about 50% of the time. Thankfully in that case, though, the problem was obvious and I've since been able to scrounge some small pistol primers, and it's lit every single one of those off that I've dropped the hammer on.

A defensive handgun should have some margin of reliability, though, and it shouldn't be getting light-strikes on factory ammo unless that stuff is seriously out of spec or defective. If you have the same problem when you shoot it through your other guns, I'd say you can safely write it off to the ammo. If the other guns all shoot it fine, I'd probably be calling Kimber.

Top Bottom