More People Own Guns Than Is Commonly Believed…

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I think the media, uses old numbers, and forgets the last decade (or so) had a HUGE increase in the numbers of gun owners.
    MANY new owners.
    Each minority class made huge gains in gun owners.

I know at work it went from "Why do you need to buy 1,000 rounds at a time?", to "Hey, what kind of gun do you recommend?", and "Know where I can find ammo?"

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    At my American Legion Post, a woman commented on the gun I was carrying.
    The bartender and half the bartenders laid a gun on the counter.

She was... shocked.

Then someone said, this is an American Legion, what did you expect?

Course, the opposite of that would be the "no guns allowed" sign outside of Post 66 Griffith.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Gotta look at that study when I have more time.
    OK, I looked... wow that was painful.

First off, I'm not paying $40 to get the whole study. The abstract and conclusions drove me to drink as it was.

From the abstract: A Zero-Inflated Negative Binomial (ZINB) regression was utilized to determine potential underreporting of firearm ownership, and a latent class analysis was utilized to determine unique subgroups of those who were identified as underreporting firearm ownership in the ZINB.

Translation: they broke it down to three subgroups based on demographic factors, then reverse-engineered each subgroup to get a normal distribution pattern AKA a bell-curve. Apply the factor to the original data and there ya go. Too many people saying "no" when they should say "yes" (because they do own a gun or guns) skews the bell-curve negatively.

N=3500 means there were 3500 surveyed. This study cited the William English/Georgetown University study that I like to cite, but I thought it was low with the percentage of gun owners (34% IIRC.) This study had north of 16K surveyed. Gary Kleck's study on DGUs in 93 had around 5K IIRC.

This study said 1306 out of 3500 under-reported firearm ownership. How did they know that? I'm curious but not "spending $40 to find out" curious.

Kelly's very rough reverse engineering: Instead of 34% of the (adult) population owning an average of 5 guns, 55% owning an average of 3 guns is roughly the same number of guns (estimated 400M privately owned firearms in the US)

Top Bottom