• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Peter McM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    I've just about settled on the Sig Sauer P250 as my first carry piece. Most attractive for me is the easy-to-rack slide (I don't have a lot of strength in my arms; other brands are just too stiff to operate) with an ambidextrous release--in a very affordable package. I only wish the DA only trigger had a better reset.

Am I just not looking hard enough, or is the 250 Sig's only 9mm (my calibre of choice) option for the leftie? As with most other brands I've investigated, while magazine releases can be switched around if necessary, slide releases are not given the same consideration? I would gladly welcome this from Sig, especially in a more versetile SA/DA configuration with a better trigger--even if I have to pay a premium for it.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I can't help you out on the left-handed questions you have, but on the trigger reset, I have a P226 with the SRT feature (short reset trigger) that is pretty nice. You may want to try and find a model with that feature and test before you commit.

Peter McM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    Thanks, Dr. Finding one to test-fire is a challenge; ITP doesn't have any Sig 9mm's on their rental list, and I can't find a list for Beech Grove. Anywhere else you suggest I try?

aeroe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    One firearm I was considering was the Zastava CZ999. It's fully ambidextrous, which is important for a lefty like me. It resembles the 226 in design, and fits in their holsters (so I read). Edit: The Zastava EZ9 was available at ZX Gun for a time, it was the same as the CZ999 line but had a rail.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    The FNP-45 is fully ambidextrous: slide release, mag release, hammer drop / safety-drop. As noted by 'throttletony' above, FNH offers other models in 9mm, as well as some excellent options from other manufacturers.

Oddly enough, after years of being (primarily) a leftie and adapting to 'right hand only' firearms, even on a 'leftie' gun I still utilize the 'right hand' mag release, etc.

Peter McM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    The FNX-9 is, in fact, at the top of my short list for a more full-size gun. I know ITP has one to rent.

For carry options, I love the idea of owning a Ruger SR9C, but I have a little trouble operating the slide--not Kimber stiff, but kinda close.

Peter McM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    Thanks for all the great suggestions. Think I'll add the Walther PPQ to my list of ones to check out.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Ive been a lefty my whole life:D, and after shooting several handguns, the glock midsized felt best to me.
    I would advise a new left handed shooter to not get all caught up in the firearm being fully ambidextrous, or left handed. Pick a gun that you shoot well, left handed or no, then teach yourself the proper way to manipulate it.

I have a gen 4 glock 23 I carry every day, and If I switched the mag release it would throw me off, because I have trained so many times to do it with my pointer finger.

I just dont think a left handed gun is that big of a deal unless you have the dough to drop on a full left handed gun. Even then, your going to train yourself exactly opposite of everyone else, and that might not be a good thing.

ratames

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    If you look on their facebook page, Beech Grove Firearms has a list of the firearms they rent. You have to scroll back a little ways but it's there.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Ive been a lefty my whole life:D, and after shooting several handguns, the glock midsized felt best to me.
    I would advise a new left handed shooter to not get all caught up in the firearm being fully ambidextrous, or left handed. Pick a gun that you shoot well, left handed or no, then teach yourself the proper way to manipulate it.

I have a gen 4 glock 23 I carry every day, and If I switched the mag release it would throw me off, because I have trained so many times to do it with my pointer finger.

I just dont think a left handed gun is that big of a deal unless you have the dough to drop on a full left handed gun. Even then, your going to train yourself exactly opposite of everyone else, and that might not be a good thing.

I'll agree with this, but it is certainly nice if it also happens to be ambi friendly

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Carry a SIG P229 on duty and am a lefty.

Mag release was switched to the right side against my wishes (was used to just using my trigger finger).

Trigger finger operates the decocker just fine.

Being lefty is an advantage in regard to the slide lock as my thumbs don't accidentally engage it as righties sometimes do with a high thumbs hold. Plus, you should be slingshotting the slide when loading/ chambering a round. I use my left thumb knuckle to lock back the slide if necessary, but when would one ever do that in a firefight? (Answer: Never)

Trigger is ambidextrous.

You will get used to the gun as it is.

Peter McM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    Thanks for the tip, Vanguard. I've always assumed things were optimised to be operated a certain way consistently. I may have to find one and practice another technique.

Trigger is ambidextrous.

Also good to know; is it index finger only, or does Sig make a pinky adapter?

Top Bottom