• ...and so much more!
  • LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've seen a pair in northern LP of Michigan about 10 years ago. Would like to see them down here, but I hope these sightings are not an indication of things going badly for them.

On a bird related note, coming from Bradis saturday afternoon, I watched a male Bald Eagle fly across 465. Just west of the exit that the Flying J is off.

I didn't believe it at first but it was obviously a white head/tail and black body.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I watched a male Bald Eagle fly across 465.

How do you know it was a male? Male and female Bald Eagles look the same, except for relative size.

Just west of the exit that the Flying J is off.

I saw one around the same location a few years ago. I read somewhere there's a nest site near an IPL plant on the White River near there, and that corner of the city falls within their hunting territory.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    How do you know it was a male? Male and female Bald Eagles look the same, except for relative size.

Well, bald eagles can soar pretty high, especially on windy days...... so I doubt he saw the 'nads'. But anyone can assume, by the location in which he saw it..... that it was a male, likely headed for one of those.... uh, you know.... motels, over that way. :D ;) :D

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Huh. I didn't know male and female looked the same.

pair-eagles.jpg

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Just west of the exit that the Flying J is off.

I didn't believe it at first but it was obviously a white head/tail and black body.
    They have been there for years. Early spring is the best time to see them off of 465 as they fly around and establish their territory and prepare for doing the wild thing. They will ride thermals from there all the way to Bradis. Often following Southport road.

If you ever find an old, established nest sight, the pile of sticks on the ground under it will be massive.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Huh. I didn't know male and female looked the same.
    The Juveniles of both genders will not have a white head until they are full grown and are around 4 years old. If you see two birds fighting, they are probably males. If you see two birds spinning together in the air or doing some aerobatic flying, they are likely a nesting pair.

Top Bottom