• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brew45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    I was watching Doomsday preppers earlier, and this guy and his wife had like 30 different firearms, mostly pistols. I would love to have a collection like this guy, but one has to wonder if it's actually necessary to have that many pistols. Don't get me wrong, it's impressive and I don't think the guy wasted his money, but why not just one or two of pistols, shotguns, and rifles? I think a well rounded collection is a better idea.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Everyone has different tastes. I like that about gun owners.

If I had the disposable income I'd probably have whatever type of gun suited my fancy. But since I don't I only have a pistol and an SBR. And I train with them both.

But if you're talking straight "necessity", remember that you can only shoot one (two?) gun at a time anyway.

shooter651

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    I would think a Doomsday prepper would have a more well rounded selection of tools.
    I don't think a prepper is so much of a collector, as planning for various situations in SHTF, WROL, natural disaster, etc.. I would think a much more job specific/ utilitarian approach would be taken.

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    There is what may be pragmatic and necessary, and that is the subject of some debate, and then there is a collection or hobby. I know of a "prepper" or two who use their prepper ideology to justify their gun collecting hobby. Of course the two aren't mutually exclusive...preppers can have hobbys too.

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    why not just one or two of pistols

How can you have a pistol in the kitchen and one in the LR and one in the FR and one in the BR and a few others and the one you carry every day and the one your wife carries every day if you only have one or two pistols?

I can't get the math to work out.

brew45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    How can you have a pistol in the kitchen and one in the LR and one in the FR and one in the BR and a few others and the one you carry every day and the one your wife carries every day if you only have one or two pistols?

I can't get the math to work out.

have the pistol in the kitchen, the shotty in the living room and the rifle in the bedroom...maybe another pistol or two tucked around somewhere else; and maybe another shotgun somewhere high...and another rifle in the attic...

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    The best answer I can offer to the general question is that much in the same way you don't go golfing with only one club, you don't use one gun for everything, at least not unless your needs are very narrow or your means won't support buying more.

In a SHTF situation, you are probably going to want everyone in the house to carry a full size handgun chambered for an effective defensive round at all times. This covers close range defense. Intermediate-range defense calls for a different weapon which the dreaded AK and AR families being the most obvious choices. Long range defense calls for yet another weapon, which may or may not overlap your hunting needs. A good defensive shotgun fills the area between the handguns and rifles. A good .22 will handle light hunting needs and allow for use without making enough noise to wake the dead and/or every two-legged predator from here to North Carolina. For a family of two, we are already up to at least 6 guns. My guess is that you are going to want an intermediate range rifle for everyone engaging in defensive duties which can be shelved for something else in the case of a specialized need, boosting our family of 2 to 7 guns. Now, if you are going to have a more concealable EDC or a backup weapon to compliment your full size handgun, we must add a couple more to the total. If you are going to have a dedicated defensive shotgun separate from your hunting shotgun, add one more.

By this standard, figure on adding at least three guns per able-bodied person at arms above my baseline of two people. You also have to account for weapons being lost in a fracas if you have a bad trip out and drop one. I know, I would hope a person fit for self-preservation would be able to keep that down to a minimum, but stuff happens. Same deal for damage/breakage.

Now that we have covered minimum standard, it seems reasonable that having guns for common ammunition is a plus. While you would normally think that guns would be found in the event that you come by an ammunition windfall, it isn't necessarily so. I would have to be running low and, say, come by a case of 9mm when all I have are a bunch of .45 pistols. Another joker in the deck is specialization by purpose. A .44 magnum is a fine handgun for hunting and some specialized defensive purposes, but it does not meed my standards for suitability as a general defensive handgun on account of recoil, noise, and expense of ammunition. By contrast, I would not want to try stopping a bear with anything much smaller. I know, we already have rifles, but what happens when the bear catches you taking a leak with the rifle propped against a tree? needless to say, two-legged predators are less common in bear territory making the need for a fast-firing higher capacity autopistol less critical.

I comes down to four basic conditions, which are being inadequately equipped, equipped well enough to get by but no more than that, being adequately equipped for most reasonably possible situations, and being equipped for anything that may happen short of a nuclear detonation which probably puts you past the point where diminishing returns is setting in on your gun investment. In the end, you have to determine where your needs, wants, and budget meet, but rest assured that going beyond a handgun, a rifle or two, and a shotgun does not necessarily put you into the realm of arbitrarily collecting for fun.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Besides the fact there are different uses, as previously mentioned, what about ammo?
    If ammo is this hard to find after the last tragedy, what about after a disaster?
    One caliber is easier to feed.
    But, what if all the ammo you find is to other calibers.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    i enjoy have a "battery" of firearms that are suited to each dedicated purpose.

.308 = long range effectiveness

glock19 = close

.22 rifle = good small game

shotgun = flying things / whatever else.

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    Well, if you're a prepper you may have a lot of guns because you see a need to equip many people, several of which you haven't even met yet.......

Or maybe it's easier to stock functioning guns instead of a buttload of parts because you have no time to improve your gunsmithing skills, what with all the agro, solar, and geo tech you're trying to absorb. Remember, these guns have to last FOREVER in an EOTWAWKI scenario.

Or perhaps you're keeping weapons in many different calibers so you can make use of whatever ammo you can scrounge or salvage in the future....future....future....future....future.

Or not.
    Just takin' a stab at it.:D

Boba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    One might consider in a SHTF scenario, you never know just what your personal emergency might be. A surplus of firearms may be a highly valuable commodity for trade & barter, more so than paper money or precious metals for instance.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We are basic prepper's and have a selection of pieces to fit those needs. We are also avid shooters and have a selection of pieces to fill those requirements. We also just like guns in general. We are constantly buying, selling and trading with folks so the selection is rotating but only in select calibers. There is no such thing as enough guns or ammo. The only limitation is your budget.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

If I was reading the original post correctly it was a Doomsday prepper who had the bulk majority of his firearms being pistols.

That just doesn't add up for good planning, in my opinion. Have pistols? Hell yeah. Have backup pistols? Heck yeah. But out of 30 firearms over 20 are pistols? Nope, not at all.

For hunting and defense rifles, of various calibers naturally, and shotguns should be the bulk majority of the armory.

A pistol is a backup weapon that you grab because you don't have a good rifle, carbine, or shotgun handy.

Don't get me wrong! For SHTF you want pistols! You want backup pistols! It just seems to me pistols should be the minority of the prepping and not the majority.

This opinion is based upon prepping being the the highest priority! If someone just loves collecting pistols and is incorporating it into their prepping that is a different story.

Regards,

Doug

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Redundancy

To each his own but my thought would be that redundancy needs to meet logistics when considering prepping and particularly bugging out. We've run into logistics issues just going prairie doggin'. More guns in more calibers means more different ammo types which just makes things more difficult. We're not in a survival mode when we go but we have still reduced the variety of calibers we take. If you have to pack food, water, clothing, and other necessities maybe you need to refine your ammo requirements. Not necessarily in terms of volume but certainly in terms of different calibers.

I've just convinced myself I need rifles chambered for the same round as a couple of my handguns! :)

bluegrassrules

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Way to many guns, if you have to bug out...how do you move them? I have 4 that I would take...between 2 people. Easy, all 4 are the right gun for a specfic use.
    Cheers

ShelbyCo.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2010
    Marietta
    I love guns! I wish I could buy more, but that also means more ammo of different calibers, and in my opinion when SHTF you are not going to "run out of guns" but you will run out of ammo. I guess my point is, for me I stock ammo for the .22, 5.56, .45 and shotguns instead of buying alot of different types of guns.

Top Bottom