• mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I found this oh, so true and well said. From Facebook:

154958_10151328664962527_1836256103_n.jpg

Morgan Freeman's statement about these random shootings....

"You want to know why. This may sound cynical, but here's why.

It's because of the way the media reports it. Flip on the news and watch how we treat the Batman theater shooter and the Oregon mall shooter like celebrities. Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris are household names, but do you kn
    ow the name of a single victim of Columbine? Distur
    bed people who would otherwise just off themselves in their basements see the news and want to top it by doing something worse, and going out in a memorable way. Why a grade school? Why children? Because he'll be remembered as a horrible monster, instead of a sad nobody.

CNN's article says that if the body count "holds up", this will rank as the second deadliest shooting behind Virginia Tech, as if statistics somehow make one shooting worse than another. Then they post a video interview of third-graders for all the details of what they saw and heard while the shootings were happening. Fox News has plastered the killer's face on all their reports for hours. Any articles or news stories yet that focus on the victims and ignore the killer's identity? None that I've seen yet. Because they don't sell. So congratulations, sensationalist media, you've just lit the fire for someone to top this and knock off a day care center or a maternity ward next.

You can help by forgetting you ever read this man's name, and remembering the name of at least one victim. You can help by donating to mental health research instead of pointing to gun control as the problem."

baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    It's nice to know at least a few "celebrities" have that rare trait known as common sense. Too bad none of the news agencies he's talking about will report a single word of it.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I like the quote and agree but I can't find anywhere where this is confirmed he said it. I get so many emails that quote various celebrities and always end up false.

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    I've always been a Morgan Freeman fan (as far as an actor goes)...
    He may support Obongo for his own reasons but I'll be damned if I wouldn't INGO-rep him for that last line. :rockwoot:

ruger17hmr

Shooter
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Jun 13, 2008
    Indy
    It has always been a frenzy feeding another frenzy.

We can't really blame the media. They are merely selling what the public craves.
    Face it, the TV audiences are more likely to be attracted to gory details of bloody shootings and shady background and disturbed mental state of perpetrators than the mundane lives of faceless 20 innocent children gunned down.

Sad, but that's the kind of world we live in.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    This is very similar to what Michael Moore says in Bowling for Columbine. Guns don't kill people, Americans kill people because of our media-aided and abetted culture of violence.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I tried to post this is response to the Pierce Morgan hit-piece on Huffpost. It was rejected:

(Oddly, no mention of the Morgan Freeman piece on huffpost...weird, right?)

"Prohibition does not work:

In the 20s and 30s prohibition (of alcohol) resulted in the largest criminal enterprise in US history. Thousands dead, jailed or missing...but people who wanted it had NO PROBLEM getting a drink.

From the 80s to today prohibition (of Marijuana and Cocaine) has resulted in cartel violence continent-wide...that spills onto the streets right here in my hometown, yet people who want it still have NO PROBLEM finding drugs.

You can't un-invent liquor. You can't un-invent drugs. You can't un-invent guns, either.

Banning guns will not reduce their number, only drive sales underground where there are no regulations, background checks, nothing...I believe the Mexican cartels would be glad to add a new revenue stream to their already lucrative business of selling prohibited material to American criminals.

Does this make our children safer? I (for all it is worth) don't think so.

It is already illegal for those with mental deficits to purchase guns, and this guy appears to fit the definition. Also, it is simply NOT TRUE that this tragedy would absolutely have been avoided if the guy didn't have guns...he could have achieved the same results with a molotov cocktail or homemade ANFO...should we ban gasoline and diesel?

It is VIOLENCE that is our national problem, not guns.

-Paul"

So much for huffpost.

-Paul

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I like the quote and agree but I can't find anywhere where this is confirmed he said it. I get so many emails that quote various celebrities and always end up false.

Right...I agree with it too. MF is a good actor...I've enjoyed many of his movies and I like him on that show "Through the Wormhole". But I'm of the impression his quite liberal. So if this is indeed his statement, it's good to know there's more common ground between liberals and conservatives such as myself.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    This is very similar to what Michael Moore says in Bowling for Columbine. Guns don't kill people, Americans kill people because of our media-aided and abetted culture of violence.
    Its been several years since I've seen it, but I remember a different message from the likes of Michael Moore. I mean he was attacking Charlton Heston and the store who sold ammunition to the Columbine shooters. He definitely focuses on the tools themselves as a part of the problem.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    We don't care what celebrities have to say when they say idiotic stuff. Now we are all getting a thrill up our leg because maybe one of them said something we agree with?

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    A fairly well reasoned statement. Shame it was attributed to such a liberal. Didn't think I believed it to start with but I'm ashamed to admit I was hopeful that an actor actually had that kind of sense.:rolleyes:

Top Bottom