• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DCM8513

Marksman
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Does anyone know if you can camp in morgan monroe state forest? Its about the closest forest to where im at.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    DNR: Morgan-Monroe State Forest
    Camping
    Primitive camping is available for a fee; campers must register for camping at the forest office. Mason Ridge Campground, located behind the fire tower north of the forest office, has vault toilets and seasonal drinking water available. There is a picnic table and grill located on each of the campground's 19 sites. On busy weekends, overflow camping is available at Oak Ridge Campground. Oak Ridge has 10 sites and the same facilities as Mason Ridge.
    Scout Ridge Youth Tent Campground is available for scouts or other groups . The 6 sites in Scout Ridge Campground are larger than regular campground sites and there are several picnic tables and grills available. Scout Ridge Nature Preserve is located in this area.

DCM8513

Marksman
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Not too big on the campgroung style camping. Can you hike into the woods and set up camp? For me it kindof defeats the purpose of getting out and away from everyone when youre still surounded by a herd of campers.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Not too big on the campgroung style camping. Can you hike into the woods and set up camp? For me it kindof defeats the purpose of getting out and away from everyone when youre still surounded by a herd of campers.

Also from the same link above:
    Low Gap Trail - 10 miles (rugged)
    Loops through the Back Country Area, east of Low Gap Road, where overnight backpack camping is permitted. The trailhead is located along Forest Road just east of the turn for Beanblossom Road and the Wall Picnic Shelter. Although there is no fee for camping, you must register at the forest office before camping in the Back Country Area. For a detailed map of the back country area, obtain a Morgan-Monroe State Forest trail map or purchase a topographical map of the Hindustan quad.

You can have the map mailed to you from this link:
    DNR: Publications and Presentations

FatsMcKay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    i dont think your allowed to wilderness camp out there, but dont quote me on that...though i have seen some empty firepits and whatnot while hunting out there

DCM8513

Marksman
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    i dont think your allowed to wilderness camp out there, but dont quote me on that...though i have seen some empty firepits and whatnot while hunting out there

Yeah me too. Thats whats got me curious. Would be fun to hike around and find a nice spot to set up camp.

westfork

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Ellettsville
    eldirector covered it above. take low gap trail and set up camp on forest property east of low gap road. if i remember right it less than 5 miles hiking until you get into the backcountry area. somebody correct me if you have a better guestimate on the distance...

seems like there is also some parking or a trailhead on low gap road that puts you at the edge of that area as well if you don't want to pack it in so far.

DCM8513

Marksman
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    eldirector covered it above. take low gap trail and set up camp on forest property east of low gap road. if i remember right it less than 5 miles hiking until you get into the backcountry area. somebody correct me if you have a better guestimate on the distance...

seems like there is also some parking or a trailhead on low gap road that puts you at the edge of that area as well if you don't want to pack it in so far.

Sounds great. Thanks for the info fellas.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.

look up Yellowwood State Forest and Hoosier National Forest.

Yellowwood has a primitive campground spot near Unionville.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Others have beat me to it, but yeah the east side of the low gap is good to go.
    And I may or may not have camped in other sections.......
    Also, while on the low gap, on the western side of the loop there's a dirt road that starts at that main road and goes into the Low gap loop. At the end is a very neat old cabin. The name escapes me, but worth hiking to see. (You can't drive your car to as it's barricaded at the main road.)

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    As stated above you can camp in the back country. I have done it numerous times, you can either park and hike about 5 miles in or you can park closer and only have about a half mile hike. Its a fairly easy hike either way. We can do the whole trail in about 2 hours 45 minutes if we are feeling froggy.

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    We just got done doing our winter camping out there in Feb. Low-gap trail is 10 miles. You can park at the trail-head about 5 miles in if you can't do the 10 mile hike and its just a 200 yard walk to the first camping area. Then about every couple hundred yards for the next 3 miles of trails. Pick any one you like. If you can handle hiking with pack on about 2 miles, you'll get down to the an area with a creek running by which makes things much easier in not having to take a ton of water with you. Just purify it before consuming.

Just please remember to leave no trace of camping so that many others can continue to enjoy it for years to come.

Oh and mind the white diamond trail markers, or you can get lost very quick.

Your quads are gonna hate you the next day. :)

If you can remember, leave some info at the ranger station chick in box, so that they know your out there and can come looking for you if your not out by your stated time. Better safe than sorry.

DCM8513

Marksman
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Thanks for the info. Sounds like the "back country" area is the place to go. Im gonna try and get out in the next couple of weeks. Too bad squirrell season is over.

Top Bottom