• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Mortgage Interest Deduction, Once a Sacred Cow, Is Under Scrutiny - NYTimes.com

NYTimes says this deduction helps "bolster the income" of Americans. Sorry, a deduction does not increase my income. My income is what I earned BEFORE the confiscation begins. It may seem subtle, but this is a huge mindset difference here.

Edit: still ticked off. My value to my employer does not change if I have a mortgage or not.

Last edited:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I'd just love to have the money it costs our government just to manage deductions.

BTW, I don't get that deduction.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I'd just love to have the money it costs our government just to manage deductions.

I hope to not get it in 5 years myself. My point is the concept of what our income is.

Deductions are like product rebates. Make it complicated enough an many eon't bother doing it

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I hope to not get it in 5 years myself. My point is the concept of what our income is.

Deductions are like product rebates. Make it complicated enough an many eon't bother doing it

Yes, but I see it as the government spending 90 cents to bring in a dollar. That, and job protection for IRS, CPA's and tax laywers.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I agree with all of this.

Compliance costs are extremely high, concerning our income tax system. Not just the cost of the IRS, but the cost that business, and wage earners, pay to be compliant with the IRS.

Also, it is telling, that credits, deductions, and lower rates are seen as "COSTS" to our Federal Overlords.

It lets you know exactly what the government thinks about your income and who it really belongs to.

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    Yep, and this is why the flat tax idea (regardless of if it was a good idea or not) was doomed from the start. There's no way that a bunch of bureaucrats would sign up for something that would eliminate a bunch of government positions.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    If a mortgage deduction is seen as simply keeping more of my own money, then what do you call it when I don't have a mortgage? A penalty? A tax? Same thing with the child tax credit. So I'm being penalized and taxed higher because I don't have a mortgage and only 1 child?

All these deductions are aimed at winning votes and influence.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    If a mortgage deduction is seen as simply keeping more of my own money, then what do you call it when I don't have a mortgage? A penalty? A tax? Same thing with the child tax credit. So I'm being penalized and taxed higher because I don't have a mortgage and only 1 child?

All these deductions are aimed at winning votes and influence.

Deductions are not increases in income. A lack of deduction is not an increase in tax.

Marginal rates are always going to be different for everyone unless you use a head tax, or privilege to live tax.

Even if you try to go waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back to only tariffs and duties, you still pick economic winners and losers.

There will ALWAYS be a way to show that you're paying more than your fair share.

Now, I do agree with you that it is unfair to assess different rates upon people based on how they decide to live.

If you treat a family like a business, and only tax the profit of the family, then I can probably show that I pay a higher rate than you even with all of my deductions and credits. Does that mean it's some how unfair to me? No, it's just how the math works out.

Again, though, I do agree that having a single rate, be it on income, or better yet, on expenses, would go a long way to leveling the economic playing field. The added stability of being able to accurate predict your tax burden would go a long way to promoting economic growth as well.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Deductions are not increases in income. A lack of deduction is not an increase in tax.

Marginal rates are always going to be different for everyone unless you use a head tax, or privilege to live tax.

Even if you try to go waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back to only tariffs and duties, you still pick economic winners and losers.

There will ALWAYS be a way to show that you're paying more than your fair share.

Now, I do agree with you that it is unfair to assess different rates upon people based on how they decide to live.

If you treat a family like a business, and only tax the profit of the family, then I can probably show that I pay a higher rate than you even with all of my deductions and credits. Does that mean it's some how unfair to me? No, it's just how the math works out.

Again, though, I do agree that having a single rate, be it on income, or better yet, on expenses, would go a long way to leveling the economic playing field. The added stability of being able to accurate predict your tax burden would go a long way to promoting economic growth as well.

2 employees, all pay and benefits being equal. One pays more tax than the other because he has fewer children or less mortgage interest. Lets penalize those who choose to minimize their expenses.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    If you can tax people at a higher rate just because they are more economically successful than others, I see no reason why you can't provide deductions to people that buy houses. All "fairness" in the tax code was thrown out long ago when it was decided that some people shouldn't have to pay any taxes, while other people should have to pony up almost 40% of their income to the government. The home interest deduction is being targeted simply because it is a large amount of money that the government wants to spend. That's it.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    2 employees, all pay and benefits being equal. One pays more tax than the other because he has fewer children or less mortgage interest. Lets penalize those who choose to minimize their expenses.

I understand your point that the tax system is unfair, and I agree.

Calling it a penalty is disingenuous, as it implies an additional cost.

You get no additional cost by choosing to not mortgage your home. Your tax rate remains static. Your relative rate may increase if you use your neighbor as the normalizing value, but that isn't an honest accounting.

Someone with a mortgage may reduce his tax cost though.

A lack of reduction is not an increase. All that does is foster more us vs them and takes focus off the real issue, which is that BOTH parties are victims and one is simply victimized less.

It does not matter how much tax your neighbor pays. Just like it does not matter how much money he makes.

Focus on the system.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I understand your point that the tax system is unfair, and I agree.

Calling it a penalty is disingenuous, as it implies an additional cost.

You get no additional cost by choosing to not mortgage your home. Your tax rate remains static. Your relative rate may increase if you use your neighbor as the normalizing value, but that isn't an honest accounting.

Someone with a mortgage may reduce his tax cost though.

A lack of reduction is not an increase. All that does is foster more us vs them and takes focus off the real issue, which is that BOTH parties are victims and one is simply victimized less.

It does not matter how much tax your neighbor pays. Just like it does not matter how much money he makes.

Focus on the system.

So losing your mortgage interest deduction is not a tax increase. Congress letting tax cuts sunset are not tax increases.

I agree that we need to focus on the system but those looking at losing their mortgage interest deductions are only focused on their loss of the deduction, not the system. Same goes for every deduction. They won't look at the bigger picture, only what they're losing.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

I think the industry created for managing deductions is worth a lot more than the government spends managing it. I'd rather have a piece of that. But I hate accounting so I'm stuck with my current gig.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I think the industry created for managing deductions is worth a lot more than the government spends managing it. I'd rather have a piece of that. But I hate accounting so I'm stuck with my current gig.

And not a bit of wealth is created by either one.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I dunno. My accountant is doing pretty well for himself.

A business spends 90 cents to make a widget and I buy it for a dollar. For my dollar, I have something tangible in my hand. What tangible good do I get for each dollar I pay my tax attorney? What tangible good do I get for every dollar in tax I pay that goes to IRS salaries?

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Not sure if the home mortgage deduction is right or wrong but it was intended to make home ownership more affordable and to stimulate the housing industry. It is easy to see what discontinuing it might do. Likely will increase the rate of default for those already streched thin financially and slightly decrease the rate of new housing starts/used home purchases.

Top Bottom