Mortgage Refinance - Mortgage Company Called and offered it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville
    We will be in this house 20+ years and hope to pay it off in 12-15 by paying extra principal.

If you can swing it an pay it off in 12-15 years, you should look at a 15 or 20 year mortgage. If you going to refinance you can significantly reduce your interest rate by going to the shorter term.

Rocketscientist

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Valparaiso
    Ehh.. I don't think I would trust that offer at face value. It reminds me of a car sales ad. No matter how good it seems, they are in the business to make money, not to help you. The offer HAS to contain something that will make them more money. I would go consult face-to-face with an independent mortgage broker. They have no skin in the game. Pick their brain a bit. Have them crunch the numbers. They may say it's a good deal! They may have a better way you didn't know about. At least you'll know for sure.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Unless you are upside down or have a crazy high mortgage rate, almost anyone would more greatly benefit from placing all the extra fees and costs on a principle payment against the morgage you already have. The only refi that was a good business model was to go from a 18.5% FHA mortgage purchased when Jimmy Carter president to a 9.5% mortgage the second year of President Regean. I paid off that 30 year mortgage in a little over 7 years.

I do not even get too excited about 15 years vs 30 years. If you have a 30 year mortgage, put an extra few hundred against principle every month. That will pay it off way quicker than a refi will get you. I have not seen a mortgage with a pre payment penalty for at least 35 years, I do not even know if they still exist, but I woud never have agreed to one.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    we have a 15-yr mortgage. Our principle payment is considerably higher than the interest payment every month and has been since inception. Completely opposite from our first house when I had a 30-yr mortgage. Loving it. The rate of 2.75% helps too :):

Consider a 15yr if you can. Salin Bank has a 3% 15yr note right now.
    I would love to pay more to principal than interest and have it done in 15 years. I'll give them a call and ask them - we'll see if I can get a lower rate out of it as well.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    rickyjohnson111
    Top Bottom