• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mdmayo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Madison County
    Shout out to elmonator for selling me this gem! And to Miller Tyme for all the inane questions he has put up with over the last 6 mos. while I waited for the right gun to come along. Thanks fellas!

It's All ishzvek, sanitized with no date, matching numbers some cool unidentified (as yet) markings on the stock and a couple on the receiver that I can find no info on, anywhere.

Finally got some range time last weekend and MAN, this thing is a shooter! My brother and I put ~ 200 rounds through it from 50-100 yds and it is flat out the most fun longarm to shoot out of my entire arsenal! Extremely accurate and even hot the bolt stayed slick. I'd heard a lot of stories about crap triggers but this one breaks like glass at about 6lbs. Big fireballs and a wonderful whump report. Didn't recoil enough to bother either of us, much to both our astonishment(s).

Ran Windex through it immediately after it cooled down, dry patched/oiled it, brought it home 3 days later and gave it a real cleaning.... I think I am in love!

Pics to follow!

IMG_1377.jpg IMG_1376.jpg IMG_1378.jpg

And I'd post more but can't seem to delete a whole ton of old uploads!

Last edited:

chubbs

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Jun 2, 2009
    North of hell, south of heaven
    I had a good friend who used a slightly sporterized 91/59 to hunt hogs on his trips down south. He did well with it. Only mods he did was an ati stock, polished bolt with nice bent handle and the lightest mosin trigger I have felt. He swore by barnaul(I may have miss spelled) 203 grn soft points.

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    Glad to be of help to you Matt, that is great looking carbine in a very nice pre-war cut down stock. The tang date may still be intact to give you the actual year of your rifle, but it is at least pre 1942 since it is built on a low wall reciever.

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    Got it; basically a 91/30 rifle cut down into a carbine. An interesting variation to be sure!

There is another Mosin Nagant Carbine that is also built to the size of an M38, it's called the 91/38 and where mfg by the Czech's , they are built from old M91's and have a carbine rear sight rather than a milled down rifle sight. Since they are all made from WW1 and older M91's they are highly prized by collectors and command a premium price

Soviet M91/38

Last edited:

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    There is another Mosin Nagant Carbine that is also built to the size of an M38, it's called the 91/38 and where mfg by the Czech's , they are built from old M91's and have a carbine rear sight rather than a milled down rifle sight. Since they are all made from WW1 and older M91's they are highly prized by collectors and command a premium price

Soviet M91/38

Got one of those too. If I remember the receiver is 1906.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Just as I posted that reply a forum memeber asked me about his M38, turns out to be a 91/38 built from a 1897 Sestroryetsk M91.

For whatever reason, I had a choice between the one I got and an older one and picked the one I got because it was a Tula receiver. Most of my Mosin's are Tulas. No reason other than I picked Tulas.

Top Bottom