• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Does anyone know someplace that sells barreled Mosin receivers?

Basically, I'm looking at building up some fun rifles, I want to do 2 with different stocks from Richards Microfit, and then keep one stock gun, and one with original stock but maybe some internal or "non-cosmetic" work.

For the two I want to put new stocks on, I don't need stocks, just barreled receivers with good bores!

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Well, what AIM shows is a round receiver, I'm looking for hex.

Rguns shows round on their barreled actions, but lists hex for completes, so might have to e-mail them. I'd be looking for 2 barreled actions, so if they combine shipping it wouldn't be bad...

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Weird, my last comment to this didn't get posted... Wondered why no one answered me...

I was under the impression that the hex receivers were superior, in terms of function and accuracy (something to do with beeing "beefier"?). Is is strictly cosmetic, or do they have an advantage somewhere?

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    The quality and workmanship are better than the wartime round receiver rifles. Rifles that passed inspection during the wartime build-up would have never passed prior to that.
    My 1928 hex receiver seems more accurate that any of the round receiver rifles I own.
    I am not sure but if you are mounting a scope on a hex reciever rifle, there may be a problem. I am talking about after market mounts.:dunno:

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Weird, my last comment to this didn't get posted... Wondered why no one answered me...

I was under the impression that the hex receivers were superior, in terms of function and accuracy (something to do with beeing "beefier"?). Is is strictly cosmetic, or do they have an advantage somewhere?

Nope, not enough to make any difference. They may look better, but any advantage in accuracy or function boils down to the individual rifle. Most Mosins have been used, hard, and been through at least one refurb. If by chance you get one that was sent to Siberia as opposed to Stalingrad, and the person who assembled it during refurb gave a damn about what he was doing, then that will have more to do with how good it is now than the shape of the receiver. Out of my personal collection, not counting Finns or sniper/ex-snipers, the 3 most accurate I have are all round receivers. Matter of fact, the most accurate standard Mosin I have is a 1944 from Izhevsk. Third most accurate I have is a non-refurb 1943 dated Izhevsk that is so rough you could almost use the receiver as a wood rasp.
    Another thing to take into consideration is that the older the rifle, the more wear there will be on the barrel and inner surfaces of the receiver. If its a prewar rifle then not only did it survive 4 years of war but also all the training and range time it saw from service during peacetime.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Right, if I get them somewhere local, just going to take a borelight and go through and pick the best bores I can find. I'd just always been told hex was better. And the two I'm going to really play with will get scopes, and 2 staying original appearance, probably one hex, one round for those...

If I get some online, I'd pay the extra $10 for handpick (even though its usually only best of 5 or best of 10...)

Top Bottom