• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • imprimis5

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    Plainfield, IN
    Ok, so I've pretty well decided that I am going to pick up a Mosin 91/30 (unless someone can convince me that I should be getting an M44). However, being somewhat of a gun n00b, I'm not really sure what I should be looking for when I go to purchase it. Used sales, as in any "buyer beware" situation, always kind of freak me out, especially when I'm not an expert on what I'm buying.

Anything I should be on the lookout for, good or bad?

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    I personally have an M38. Just like the M44 but without the bayonet to pull shots off to the left, or right, or whichever direction the bayonet pulls them. I prefer the slightly shorter stature of the M38 over the 91/30. Also, I have read that the M38 is slightly more collectible than the 91/30 and the M44, if that makes any difference.

Try to make sure numbers match up on the receiver, bolt, floorplate to the 5rd fixed magazine. Other than that, just look for the prettiest wood you can find.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    You'll also want to check the bolt face and chamber for corrosion or pitting, check the rifling, and check the crown for damage.

I'm not a big fan of the 91/30. It's a pain to clean because it's so long. I really like my M44, though.

Oh, and most sellers will include an accessories kit (sling, oil bottle, etc). Other than the sling, the rest of the stuff will just sit in your closet.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    You'll also want to check the bolt face and chamber for corrosion or pitting, check the rifling, and check the crown for damage.

I'm not a big fan of the 91/30. It's a pain to clean because it's so long. I really like my M44, though.

Oh, and most sellers will include an accessories kit (sling, oil bottle, etc). Other than the sling, the rest of the stuff will just sit in your closet.

The cleaning kit that came with mine, and the cleaning rod that's part of the rifle, made cleaning to be a non-problem when I first started. Then I started using a patchworm for all my bore cleaning and it became really a non-problem.

When using surplus ammo (almost always corrosive prime and just about always what I shoot) first thing I do when cleaning is break down the rifle and pour a couple of quarts of hot water through the barrel pouring in at the chamber end) to clear out the corrosive residue (mostly potassium salts which are nicely water soluble).

The oil, bottle, yeah that sits in my "odds and ends" bot (rather than in the closet per-se) and since I switched to the patchworm, so does the cleaning kit. OTOH, I use the ammo pouches to carry filled stripper clips to and from the range and the bayonet, well, I'm tempted but I haven't taken the rifle out with the bayonet mounted yet.

shainiac

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Downtown Indy
    A clean, shiny bore! I bought a 91/30 with what I thought had just a dirty bore and it shoots worse groups than my 12ga. After a thorough cleaning, I could see that the rifling very dark and faint. Seriously, old guns shot with corrosive ammo that were not properly cleaned will have gray bores. As much as I love shooting 91/30s, you'd have much better luck finding a M44 with a shiny bore due to their later build date (many being after WWII).

Top Bottom