Mosin Guys - I Gots Questions and Pics For Ya .

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Good news , my cousin got a free Mosin from cleaning out a repo house .

Bad news , some bubba got to it first .

First things first , is this a Mosin or what ?

The barrel is a regular round type .

Markings on the top side of the barrel - A wreath with the traditional ruskie crossed hammer and sickle . Letters - NB

An arrow inside of a triangle . Year stamp of 1943 with a weird shaped "P" beside the year . Think triangle with a "leg" attached .

HB2 weird 9 (think backwards P from above) , 30 ----HB2"9"30

Bottom barrel markings - H5837

Numbers on both the bolt and mag matches 2130 .

P2230001.jpg

P2230002.jpg

It looks like said bubba was trying to convert it into a carbine as the barrel has been sawed off to approximately 24 " and tried to recrown it .

I'm not sure if he (bubba) moved the front sight or not but it's not canted at all .

You can't tell from the pictures but the "guts / barrel " are still slathered in cosmoline but the action is fairly smooth , it and the barrel just needs cleaning .

Now for the questions .

Is this abomination a bastard Mosin ?

Is it worth anything ?

Providing the "rifle" is mechanically sound , can I find a carbine stock and get this thing back in shooting order ?

Thanks in advance .

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Yeah...sure looks like a Mosin to me. An Izhevsk. If the barrel was cut I am wondering how he got the front sight back on? It might be a 91/59 or a M-38
    Are you sure the barrel is 24 inches and not 20 1/4"? That would be measured from the closed bolt face to the end of the barrel.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    my guess is its a m38 thats not been messed with. if it were mine id give it a good bath and get all the cosmoline out and purchase a stock for it. or you could sell it to me for cheap:D

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    I did some checking around and I think you guys are right about it being an M38 .

The barrel crown is slanted and not blued (worn off ?) so I assumed it's been messed with . My bad to bubba .

Now the question is where can I find a stock and get this thing back together ?

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Some of those "pistol" versions were actually done out of neccessity during wartime by soldiers fighting in urban settings. Not something I would wanna do to one of mine, but if one of you fellas want to try it with yours, I'll meet you at the range and fire it a time or three.:D

Top Bottom