• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have an M38 Mosin which I am considering selling (fulldisclosure here), but I want to make sure I understand correctly how to readwhat I own. I am using this site to help decipher what I actually have:

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinSerial.htm

I believe I have an M38 Tula Mosin Nagant Carbine which was built in 1944. Can someone help tell me what the other markings and symbols are as shown on the receiver? All of the numbers match (receiver,bolt, butt, floorplate) so I know this is a plus. I guess I just want to make sure I don’t have something super rare that I should hang onto. Thanks in advance for the advice.

M38Receiver.jpg

MosinM38.jpg

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    yep Izhevsk the tula would have a star instead of a the triangle with arrow in it.... dont worry make really doesnt matter atleast with the 44's and 91/30's not sure about your 38.... personaly i like Izzy's better i think the triangle arrow stamp is cooler than the star but thats just my personal preference...... however all your proofs are there and very deep its a nicely marked rifle some are far lighter stamped

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Nice looking carbine, especially that stock! You might want to reconsider getting rid of it, as M38s are getting harder to find and more valuable all the time. Supposedly there are no more left overseas that can be imported. Prices have almost doubled over the last 2 years and I expect that trend to continue. Oh, and is that a Naval Infantry (black) sling I see? If so, it is worth quite a bit by itself.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Nice looking carbine, especially that stock! You might want to reconsider getting rid of it, as M38s are getting harder to find and more valuable all the time. Supposedly there are no more left overseas that can be imported. Prices have almost doubled over the last 2 years and I expect that trend to continue. Oh, and is that a Naval Infantry (black) sling I see? If so, it is worth quite a bit by itself.

Didnt notice that good eye!!!! you really have more of collector rifle than you know personally if i had that rifle i wouldnt be able to part with it

Interloper

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    I am not sure what it is. Looks kind of old. Probably not worth much. I will take it off your hands for $50.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I am not sure what it is. Looks kind of old. Probably not worth much. I will take it off your hands for $50.

I've wanted to use the negative rep, I might try it on you. Just kidding of course. ;)

For the rest of you gentlemen, thanks for the comments and feedback. I always learn here.

Could someone comment on the "T" following the date? What does that mean?

Thanks again to you all. I'll hit you with reps when I have more.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    I've wanted to use the negative rep, I might try it on you. Just kidding of course. ;)

For the rest of you gentlemen, thanks for the comments and feedback. I always learn here.

Well the T is one of the many unknown marks on nagants i have alot of sights that clam it means one thing then another something else

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana

T is a very uncommon follower. You have a very nice collector piece. So... 75.:D

On a serious note.. Might want to check this out:Mosin Nagant Serial Numbers

Scroll Down to 23, and read through 26.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C

It should be a "r", looks like there might be an old nick in the metal to make it look like a T. Its simply an abbreviation for "year of".

msuspartan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    Fishers
    Ok since I cannot bid/buy due to my low posts, I will offer in trade...

(in voice that sounds like an Arab Trader)
    1 camel (she does NOT spit)
    2 chickens
    1 small ferret
    and two gerbels (they have NOT been abused)
    DEAL?????

Top Bottom