• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • horsehaulin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I am looking into the possibility of a Mosin purchase and then upgrading it with a new stock and shortening the barrel. There are some things I am sure that I am missing as this will be my first project of this type.

I know I want an Archangel Manufacturing stock. Also thinking about a comp and trigger, but I have no idea where in Indiana I could get the barrel to the length that I want and get it threaded.

Any help with pointing me to get things done or any suggestions/recommendations would be great. And yes, I know this will never be a M1, but it will be something my boys can shoot and won't cost $1,800. They have a fascination with "sniper rifles".

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    What is your budget for this "sniper" rifle? Reason being is that for probably not much more than you will spend on your mosin project you could buy a pretty decent factory rifle that will out shoot it right out of the box, such as the entry level Savage rifles. Don't get me wrong, building a rifle is a lot of fun and can be a great experience for you and your boys to do together.

Its just that a Mosin may not be the best platform given its limitations. Yes, manya Mosin was used for "sniping" in WWII, but the official sniper rifles were hand selected at the factory based on test firing. The millions of other rifles in circulation rae fine for "minute of man" shooting, which is what they were intended to do, but may fall short of your expectations for a rifle that will shoot nice tight "sniper rifle" groups.

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    Witt machining has bolt on breaka. There are some cheaper ones at bradis 2 that are bolt on. You'd need to check the length of the new stock to make sure barrel length is appropriate when cut. Ati has a stock also. I would suggest cutting it yourself and cleaning it up. An ati stock and a bolt on break. You could get the stock and a break for about 120 probably and if you have a saw then free on the cutting. Rat tail file or something to clean up the cut and bam. Cheap mod.

HOLY LAND

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Greenwood
    If your going to have the barrel cut. You can save your money on that and get a M44 and the 91/30 wouldn't be harmed. Its a 91/30 which has already been shortened. Threading I am not sure who you could have do that but if you want it to be closer to a sniper rifle you should leave the barrel long like the 28 1/2 inchs long. You get more velocity on your bullet but if you want a real shooter out of it I know of some guys who have done amazing work in Georgia. He shortened the barrel and had a new muzzle crown put on it and bedded the rifle to the stock its a tack driver as he says in the video.

[h=1]Sporterizing the Mosin Nagant Part 13- Range time[/h]
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO11gIafId4

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Lots of Mosins floating around that have already had similar things done. I wouldn't trust most bubba barrel shortenings, but I bet you could find one already in the archangel stock for less than it would cost you to get rifle and stock separately.

Leadkrm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Sorry some people keep not answering your question and making suggestions that aren't what helping what you want to do. But if you research some on the internet there are a ton of mosin up grades and aftermarket parts. It's a popular gun. Boyd makes some cool stocks for the gun that I like.

YoungMilsurpGuy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Crown Point
    If you want an actually Mosin "Sniper, buy a authentic mosin sniper that has the old school PU scope on it and that has a really nice bore. If you want a shorter gun, buy an M44 or m38 Carbine.

The problem also with scoping a mosin is besides using the Soviet issue PU scopes, you have to bend down the bolt and drill and tap the receiver which costs about as much as the rifle, then you have to pay for the scope. Or you have to do a "Scout mount" with a long relief pistol scope on your front sight assembly, but with the recoil of the 7.62x54r, you lose your zero easily and it can even come loose

So to sum it up, if you want a mosin sniper, actually buy a authentic sniper rifle with the soviet era scope attached or buy a new production rifle. Don't bubba a perfectly good historical rifle, I seriously cringe every time I see one like that

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Sorry some people keep not answering your question and making suggestions that aren't what helping what you want to do. But if you research some on the internet there are a ton of mosin up grades and aftermarket parts. It's a popular gun. Boyd makes some cool stocks for the gun that I like.

Wait, but he wants an Archangel stock. A Boyd's stock isn't want he asked for so you shouldn't really make suggestions that don't help with what he's trying to do.

OP, I'm not trying to steer you away from a Mosin. They made 17,000,000+ of them. Just make sure if you're deadset on cutting up on that it doesn't have any rare markings or stamps on it. But adding up the costs of what you want to do, you'd be better off with a used Savage or Remington. It would be many times more accurate and have the ability to be upgraded where it counts. The 91/30 will need too much to become a "sniper" rifle.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    If you want an actually Mosin "Sniper, buy a authentic mosin sniper that has the old school PU scope on it and that has a really nice bore. If you want a shorter gun, buy an M44 or m38 Carbine.

The problem also with scoping a mosin is besides using the Soviet issue PU scopes, you have to bend down the bolt and drill and tap the receiver which costs about as much as the rifle, then you have to pay for the scope. Or you have to do a "Scout mount" with a long relief pistol scope on your front sight assembly, but with the recoil of the 7.62x54r, you lose your zero easily and it can even come loose

So to sum it up, if you want a mosin sniper, actually buy a authentic sniper rifle with the soviet era scope attached or buy a new production rifle. Don't bubba a perfectly good historical rifle, I seriously cringe every time I see one like that

I've got a brass stacker mount on my rear sight with an NcStar scope. I have put close to 250 rounds through it so far and had no issues with my zero. I would like to find an excellent bore barrel/receiver and transfer everything over to that and call it good.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Unless your looking to do a project with your boys which Im all for, just take your money an buy a newer production rifle. Spend a little more coin an get a newer used Savage model 10 an have a very accurate rifle for pretty much the same money. Or if your not looking for super MOA accuracy get a new Savage Axis it will give the "Sniper" look and not break the bank at all. Good luck.

saleen4971

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    East Side Indy
    a mosin with a mcgowen barrel is pretty damn accurate. the bigger issue is mounting a scope - the good ones (like rocksolid) require drilling and tapping the reciever. not overly difficult - if you have the proper equipment, and know how to set it up.

Leadkrm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Wait, but he wants an Archangel stock. A Boyd's stock isn't want he asked for so you shouldn't really make suggestions that don't help with what he's trying to do.

i wasn't calling you out. I just know how it feels to have a question danced around on forum. He did say he wants an archangel but guess what buddy? He also asked specifically about companies who sell stocks. So quit trying to be Witty

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    FWIW I "crowned" a mosin barrel with a 1/2" bur just to prove a point and it went from youre lucky to get a center of mass shot to 2-2.75" groups so you can use bubba tools and get a decent gun. That being said a lathe crown would be better. I have $120 in my mosin with scope mount and shortened barrel so it can be done for cheap. Of course I crowned it on my lathe but a gunsmith will crown a barrel for pretty cheap.

happyfiero

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Campbellsburg IN.
    Hi
    my sons and I did a mosin build
    am thinking changing into a archangel stock, but the boyds is not bad with a riser .
    We did use a Timney trigger well worth the money.
    Use a Ati or rock solid mount

Buy a 91/30

can you drill and tap ? if not have a gunsmith attach the scope mount
    Buy a good scope for the distance you will be shooting
    and use a good ammo not surplus
    if you want to thread or shorten the barrel your total cost will be in the 700 dollar range with out a scope
    depends on how much you can do yourself
    threegun_zpsa4bd1af6.jpg

Top Bottom